Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 CTS Luxury, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their fog light housings with an after market unit?
I'm getting the front bumper repainted in the Spring and want to replace the the lenses since they are shot. I'm finding exact replacements very pricey.

I'm seeing some aftermarket units that supposedly fit and was wondering if anyone else seen these or tried them.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
'99 Seville STS; '96/7 ETC
2,393 Posts
f-w-i-w: Sub. suggested there were Hella units that would fit the Seville (now I'm quite familiar with Hella products AND too familiar with the Seville install, so can't see it) but couldn't be more specific (& Eldos are so scarce here I can't even visualise the differences between their front ends).

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
There are no after market, universal style fog or driving light that will fit exactly as an OEM light. That goes for any car.

I've never seen an aftermarket OEM style fog light for an Eldo. And if someone does make one, the quality is rarely close to that of the original.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
f-w-i-w: Sub. suggested there were Hella units that would fit the Seville (now I'm quite familiar with Hella products AND too familiar with the Seville install, so can't see it) but couldn't be more specific (& Eldos are so scarce here I can't even visualise the differences between their front ends).
Paul,

Is there a specific model of Hella unit that you're referring to which fits the Seville?
I'm looking at their website and curious which one it is..

·
Registered
2002 Eldordo ETC Collector's Edition with Aux Input
106 Posts
Has anyone replaced their fog light housings with an after market unit?
I'm getting the front bumper repainted in the Spring and want to replace the the lenses since they are shot. I'm finding exact replacements very pricey.

I'm seeing some aftermarket units that supposedly fit and was wondering if anyone else seen these or tried them.

Thanks,

Jim
What are the aftermarket units that you saw that supposedly fit? Just out of curiosity...

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
What are the aftermarket units that you saw that supposedly fit? Just out of curiosity...
=======================
you can probably find a light that will fit into the opening -
but if mounted flush -
they will pointing to the sides - not forward -

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
404 Posts
How bad are the current foglights? You might be able to clear them up a bit with a headlight restoration kit.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
OP didn't say why he wanted to replace his; if they're like mine, at best they'd make acceptable DRL's, no matter what you did to them!

As for the Hella units, given the shape of the opening &, more particularly, the weird mounting hardware (appreciate there may be difference between Seville & Eldo) I can't see how that can work. However, I was only passing on a snippet of info. that Submariner threw into the last ongoing Seville headlight thread.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
I believe that I posted something like "Hella makes a rectangular fog or driving light. You might be able to adapt one with some bracket work". I know I did not say that a Hella was a drop-in.

Now that I think about it, I believe the thread was one of the usual "I don't have any light on the road" quibbles and I opined that perhaps a pair of Hella driving lights could be adapted. "Driving light": The million candlepower pencil beam lamps used for extreme night time road courses.

EDIT at 0804 EST: Here's the thread. Please read it all.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/626497-what-your-favorite-brand-low-beams.html

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I didn't mean to suggest that you said the Hellas were a drop-in; my only point was that you, presumably, had a particular model lamp in mind.

No reference was made to bracketry, as the mounting was a point I picked up on. I freely admit that, given the way the O.E. fogs are fitted any metal work involved in fitting a lamp with a conventional spigot mounting is way beyond my schoolboy blacksmith skills. Of course I appreciate that others do not have these limitations.

I'm keeping schtumm about light on the road 'til I've picked up my recommended bulbs (possibly + a harness upgrade) next month BUT the idea of also upgrading the fogs (especially as one of mine needs replacing anyway) as well had appeal, which is the direction I thought we were going in then, rather than substituting driving lights to supplement the headlights.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
The kicker with "upgrading" the fog lamps is that their reflectors and lenses are designed to put a low, defined patch of light on the ground less than 25 feet in front of the car. They won't put any light farther down the road no matter what bulb you install, and if you turn on low beams in addition to fogs, you then defeat the entire purpose of the "fog lamp" in the first place.

Here in the States, particularly in urban areas, the tendency is to throw as much blue spectrum light as possible out the front of the car at all times - it's the "Look what I got" effect. Terrible inconvenience to oncoming traffic.

Parking lights with fogs are perfect here in the farm country - late fall, early spring - due to the "ground fog" from temperature inversion - and that stuff is so thick that you're doing < 20 mph in a 55 zone, so the fog lights do their intended job.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Never needed fog lights for fog here. However, with moderately brighter bulbs in them, the beam pattern makes for excellent "pothole lights". :yup:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For the aftermarket ones, I've been finding them on eBay by searching "98 Eldorado Fog lights".
Some are LED based but all dont look like a good quality light and may not match in size.

The lenses are the pretty shot after 15 years as a daily driver which is all that's wrong with them.
I havent looked into a lense restore kit because I didnt think it would work on them.

As for the Hella lights, I was just curious on the ones mentioned that may fit the Seville.

Worse case, is I'll have to get OEM replacements and spend the ~$400 for them.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Jim

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
For the aftermarket ones, I've been finding them on eBay by searching "98 Eldorado Fog lights".
Some are LED based but all dont look like a good quality light and may not match in size.

The lenses are the pretty shot after 15 years as a daily driver which is all that's wrong with them.
I havent looked into a lense restore kit because I didnt think it would work on them.

As for the Hella lights, I was just curious on the ones mentioned that may fit the Seville.

Worse case, is I'll have to get OEM replacements and spend the ~$400 for them.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Jim
========================
considering that fog lights are basically bling -
"used to be seen - not used to see"
if the lens isn't broken - it's probably good enough -

if your lights are broken -
here is a nice looking used set for $108 - including shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Eldorado-92-02-Driver-Passenger-Front-Fogs-Driving-Lights-Set-Nice-/181665836945?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1998|Model:Eldorado&hash=item2a4c20af91&vxp=mtr

here is another clean set for less than $150 - including shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-92-97-SLS-STS-92-02-ETC-left-right-Fog-Light-Assembly-GM-16516349-/271730617752?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1998|Model:Eldorado&hash=item3f44682d98&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you!
I didnt find those when searching.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts