Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a photo of someone who has a STS/SLS with fog lights. In particular the harness that has the plug for the fog lights. I am working on adding fog lights to my SLS. I have collected the fog lights and 90% of the parts required.

I am considering making a harness myself for the fog lights but if someone can show me a picture of theirs it would be great. I believe the power for the fog lights come from the purple and black wire that also plugs into the amber parking lights...see picture below...

my other option is purchase harnesses that include the fog light plug. The entire harness plugs into a junction just behind the headlight assembly...this also looks like where you could/would place the ballast for those who want to add HID lights or if you have them...

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
idk where that plugs at
where is it lol and ill photo my 03s
or i can at LEAST provide you with the wiring schm with the eSI.
if you have it just type connector end, and all the end views for all the different plugs come up.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
ok well i just looked over the wiring schms
idk what the teal wires for
but on BOTH the left and right
the purple wire is the Fog Lamp Feed, and the Black is the Ground

its the same for both heres the pics

RH Front Fog Lamp

Connector Part Information

Color Circuit No. Function

A PPL 34 Fog Lamp Feed

B BLK 1050 Ground

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, I have that info, I just could not (or could not figure out) if that PPL + Black combo comes off of the same PPL/Black combo as the parking light. I am betting it does since the circuit description in the manual states that the the fog lights only come on WITH the parking lights...

The parts list shows a cost of $180 for the harness with fog lights!! Which is why I want to either make my own, or find two from car-part.com

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
oh well
goodluck bro
if you need a second mind lemme know ill look over the schms with ya. ive spent enough time on that dang navi schms to know about this car in and out rofl

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
According to the 99 FSM the parking lights and fogs are both supplied power by purple wires but they are different circuits (fogs CKT 34, Pkg lights CKT 709). The narrative leads me to believe there are two separate purple wires that come out of the front fuse box, one wire from each relay.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Tarq

If you have a headlight switch that has the foglamp button on it, why not just wire it up yourself? It will be much easier and a whole lot cheaper that way. The only thing is that you will not have the "lights" indicater come on when the foglamps are on. To me that is a perk, not a detriment. Best of luck to you.

Don

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac SLS, 2002 Cadillac DTS
133 Posts
Hey Whats up guys? I have my fog lights. Is that connector for the foglights behind the bumper cover on the 98 SLS. I'm tring to get my foglights done.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Whats up guys? I have my fog lights. Is that connector for the foglights behind the bumper cover on the 98 SLS. I'm tring to get my foglights done.:thumbsup:
No, it is not behind the bumper. If it is, they have it hidden VERY well!! I am missing my drivers side bracket which I am going to be ordering this week. Then I will start mounting stuff. The holes for the brackets are already in the steel bumper bar. :thumbsup:

Dadillac,

I have not ordered the switch yet, but I have considered that option...I may end up doing it that way, just not sure yet.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: I have the fog light brackets installed and the fog lights themselves all installed. The car already looks better with just the housings in place!! behind the 'barred' SLS style lower grill is actually indents for the fog lights to fit in place, as if the barred grill was also an option if you had fog lights installed at the factory.

I may have just acquired the harnesses and OEM Switch from the STS that is being parted out...stay tuned over the next few weeks!

·
Registered
Gone:'90 DeVille, '96 DeVille, '98 SLS Current: '05 DTS
43 Posts
I have a 98 SLS and have lusted for fog lights since I bought it. How did your project turn out? Can you post some pix of the results?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 98 SLS and have lusted for fog lights since I bought it. How did your project turn out? Can you post some pix of the results?
It is still in process. This evening though I installed the new lower bumper cover grill. I ordered it from www.gmotors.com and had it painted by a body shop on their free time.

The new cover looks GREAT. The fog lights are in place, and it looks just like an STS now! I have not added any wiring yet, but I did buy wire, I just need to wire it up. I have a test OEM switch to try out for the wiring but if it doesn't work I'll just add a second switch somewhere for the fog lights. I will post pictures next weekend. I have to go out of town for a few days this week.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
90% DONE!!!

Today was the day of work (or play) on the Seville.

I have the fog lights wired up and all that is needed now is a switch somehow. Anyone have any suggestions for an after market solution? Will any old 12V DC switch from Radio Shack work? I cannot find a good place to mount it or drill into the dash or kick panel anywhere.

I was hoping it would be plug and play, somehow but it is not. The Orange lead from the headlamp switch harness does not have the orange lead, as the harness from an SLS or STS has on the headlamp harness.

Here are a bunch of pictures of the fog lights and wiring routing:
http://gallery.iametarq.com/cars/cadillac 1998 seville sls/electrical/fog lamps/

I was able to get some parts from a person here parting out their STS with fog lights. I got the plugs that attach to the light bulb that way, and some other parts I cannot use after all like the harnesses. I have used 14 guage wire to string up the lights themselves, running and zip tying the cabling parallel to the headlamp wiring, and then fishing it into the cabin area behind the kick panel. You can see all of it in the pictures.

I am just not sure where to put the switch. I want the fog lights to operate independently of the other headlights, unless some has a better idea. :) It was nice to see the fogs light up when I alligator clipped them directly to the + & - battery terminals under the hood. I feel accomplished today. :D

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
you cant tie them into the factory switch at all???
places you COULD run them are....
ash tray
drill and mount a switch on the center wood between the heated seat switches

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is a strange q... but why are your pics Copyrighted? Are you afraid someone is going to steal them?
Believe it or not, yes. On the site I used to admin - www.sebringclub.net someone had taken pictures from out gallery that detailed step by step how to repair your instrument cluster when it went dead...which was a common problem. We found someone on ebay was selling the pictures from our gallery! I had to go through some form with ebay about stealing intellectual property, etc, etc. it was a royal pain in the butt! the seller when contacted said, "Oh, I didn't think it was not ok to sell it." :annoyed:

I don't mind posting information on how to fix something but give the publisher the credit!!

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Tarq, have you looked at a factory switch that has the foglamp button? Maybe there is a way to hook it to your factory harness, and hook the foglamps independantly? I would assume that the headlamps, twilight sentinal, and dimmer, all use thier own plug. If so, then adding the other switch would be easy. Then just tie your wiring into it.

Don

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do have a headlamp switch with a fog light switch on it. I'll put a multi meter on the pin for the orange fog lamp lead and see what happens. I would love to use the factory switch if possible...the one i have is the wrong color so i'll have to find one that matches if it works.

Also, should i put a fuse in this new circuit? What kind should I use and where would I put it? On the positive?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts