Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fog lights do not turn on, how do you change the bulb? Is it something I should have a mechanic do? I don't want to break anything trying to change it myself.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
NO! :D

All you have to do is put your hand down there in the back of the fog light and twits 1/3 of a turn the light bulb. Then take it out disconnect the harness, connect new light bulb (don't touch the glass) insert back and turn 1/3 of a turn in the other direction.
1 minute job.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
637 Posts
NO! :D

All you have to do is put your hand down there in the back of the fog light and twits 1/3 of a turn the light bulb. Then take it out disconnect the harness, connect new light bulb (don't touch the glass) insert back and turn 1/3 of a turn in the other direction.
1 minute job.
sorry to hi-jack but i got a kinda same questions since we are on the subject. why does sometimes both of my fogs come on when i press the button and other times only one? its always driver side light and if it doesnt come on at start up i have to turn it off and on a few times till it cuts on. i have new bulbs and running hids on the fogs

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took one bulb out and it has turned brown on one side, so hopefully it is just the bulbs that are blown and not some electrical problem. I just bought the car so I don't know if the bulbs are original or not.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
A '96 Cadillac probably is at its 15 set of fog lights.
Talamant3z, I believe you have an issue with the wires on that side fog light.
Since both sides are connected in parallel to the same GND point, most likely you have a problem with your light bulb connector or that side harness.

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
Just had to change both bulbs on my car a week apart. Passenger side went out, then the following week the driver side blew. Not hard to do at all. The biggest PITA is getting the bulbs back into the assembly. Removal and installation requires you to reach between the bumper and the radiator. If you have the Trans Cooler on your car you will want to make sure the car hasn't been driven for a while if you have larger arms. I ended up almost burning the top of my forearm on the cooler line when changing the driver side bulb.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FOG LIGHTS WORK!!!!! No electrical problem. The easiest way to change the bulbs is to lay on the ground and change them from underneath the car, you can see a lot better that way. The pass side fog light would not come on at first, so I had to press it into the socket really hard and it works. Maybe I should put some electric tape around it to make sure it doesn't come loose.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
FOG LIGHTS WORK!!!!! No electrical problem. The easiest way to change the bulbs is to lay on the ground and change them from underneath the car, you can see a lot better that way. The pass side fog light would not come on at first, so I had to press it into the socket really hard and it works. Maybe I should put some electric tape around it to make sure it doesn't come loose.
The bulb socket and harness connector assembly has a locking feature so normally no add on electrical tape is required. Also there is a rubber grommet in the connector so the connection suppose to be waterproof. When I bought the car (almost 4 years ago) I couldn’t figure out for the life of me how to turn the fog lights on. I checked the fuses, all fine I didn’t bother to check the light bulbs (definitely not both can be burned right!) Well after 2 weeks I pulled the light bulbs and the impossible turned out to be possible. I guess some people just don’t bother with the basic maintenance…

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Eldorado
1 Posts
the passage to access the fog light housing is covered. How do I get that off so I can change my fog light bulbs? :confused:

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
I reached mine by popping the hood and reaching behind the bumper down to them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts