Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002 STS
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas wht I keep replacing fog lights so often? It doesn't matter if they are expensive or not, they only seem to last a couple of months. At around 30 bucks each, this is getting old fast.

·
Registered
1995 ETC
31 Posts
I hope you did not pay 30 bucks for just a bulb, they are around $7-8ea. One reason the bulb may say goodbye is a crack in a housing (moisture gets on a halogen bulb and it burns out right away. Check to make sure that a light assambley is securely fastened.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Check the fuse to see if its partially blown (rare but it happened to me once), check the socket grounds with a meter and physically at the connection if you can find it. It sounds like you have a voltage drop somewhere which causes higher current draw leading to smoked bulbs. Also, make sure you are not touching the bulbs (the glass part) with your hands when you install them - the salt from your skin eats through the quartz and can be another cause of shortened life.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
also could try not driving with your fogs on
they are not meant as running lamps but as FOG lamps lol
keep them off and they will last longer

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Any ideas wht I keep replacing fog lights so often? It doesn't matter if they are expensive or not, they only seem to last a couple of months. At around 30 bucks each, this is getting old fast.
Any other bulbs that fail every couple of months? If so, you should monitor your alternator voltage over an extended period.

Try to find a different brand of bulb. No all bulb manufacturers are created equal and some of them are producing absolute junk products.

Vibration can be a killer on some bulb designs. If you drive off pavement a lot....

Moisture on a hot bulb equals instant thermal shock; check the lens as mentioned and also the rubber seal (O ring) at the socket.

Oil from your skin will create a hot spot on the bulb glass; if you must touch the glass when installing bulbs, be sure to wipe them clean.

Just for the record, I have modified my Seville lighting and have been running my fogs as DRLs for close to 3 years without a problem. And a lot of my driving is daylight driving.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Yes, I have it as a text file and text files cannot be attached here. I could copy / paste if there is genuine interest.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Where are you paying $30 a bulb? :suspense:

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
I can only speculate that at $30/bulb those are some aftermarket bulbs which probably claim to be better and brighter than stock bulbs. But that probably comes with greatly reduced bulb life. I would say to try a pair of stock bulbs designed for this car and see how long they last.

Also checking the charging voltage is a good idea. Although if it was too high that should trigger an error code. But maybe it is bordeline high and that pops those $30 bulbs rather quickly.

Peteski

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
I can only speculate that at $30/bulb those are some aftermarket bulbs which probably claim to be better and brighter than stock bulbs. But that probably comes with greatly reduced bulb life. I would say to try a pair of stock bulbs designed for this car and see how long they last.
Maybe... I run higher wattage "extra bright" bulbs in my fogs too. (they are $12CAN ;) , The stock bulbs are $7 or $8, Even the funky, somewhat illegal blue bulbs are only $20CAN )... I run my Fogs almost all of the time and I get about 2 years out of a set... as was posted above either:
1) He is touching the glass when he installs them or
2) The housing has a small crack and is letting moisture in.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Ah, that explains it...

I'm not a big fan of Crappy Tire, I'm not sure which part of the "Frozen North" you live in but you will find much better prices at Lordco, Napa, etc.

And BTW a couple of years ago the silverstar were the BEST bulb to get... There are now lots of competitors with "blue bulbs" as good or even better then Silverstars at 1/2 - 1/4 of the price. I'm running 75W GE nighthawks that I paid $25 for the pair at Lordco.

Here is some intersting data to consider before you buy expensive bulbs...
Standard 9006 halogen (low beam):.....1000 lumens, 800 hour rated life
Sylvania 9006 Xtravision (low beam):...1060 lumens, 300 hour rated life
GE 9006 Nighthawk (low beam):..........1150 lumens, 250 hour rated life
Sylvania 9006 Silverstar (low beam):.....910 lumens, 150 hour rated life

Keep in mind I'm pretty sure that all of the "H4" bulbs will fit in the fog light sockets... 9003,9004,9006 etc... If you want to be really bright down there, it is almost aways cheaper to step up a wattage rating on a cheap bulb then to spring for pricey the "blue" ones...

A word of warning on the "hot" bulbs Some have reported that the "over watt" bulb will melt the fog ligh housing. I have run 75W bulbs down there for over a year with no issues.

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
I suppose that we should ask how the bulbs fail.

Do they crack or shatter?

Do they stay intact (and clear) but the filament opens up?

Do they stay intact but they have milky coating inside?

Or do they fail in another way?

Maybe that'll be a clue....

Peteski

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
A twist on the fog/DRL wars. Disable the DRL's by pulling the front box fuse labeled.....DRL. Turn off the fog lights. Now the bulbs last for many years. (I know you can't do that in Canada......all vehicles ? past ? year must run DRL's.) There is no such law in the US. DRL's are a cutesy copy of "Euro-upscale". Fog lamps? Except for the upper East Coast and Sausalito, how many actually drive in fog or really understand the principle of a "fog" lamp? (A high wattage fog bulb is exactly bassackwards for the designed purpose) Drivers who use DRL (or headlights) and fog lights at the same time are discourteous and present a blindness danger to other drivers.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
The date in Canada is Jan 1 1990 So if you drive a 1990 car you could argue that your car was built in September-December 1989... but if you have a 1991 or newer car you risk a ticket if you don't have DLR's up here...

Having said that... Something else is wrong... I run my fogs year round and I can easily go 2-3 years between bulb replacements. My wife runs fogs year round on her 99 4Runner and I've replaced those twice (about 4 years on a bulb)...

Really rough roads can also "break" a hot filament... I used to have that problem when I "Dukes of Hazard'ed" my Z28 over railway crossings in my University days... But unless you are crashing into speed bumps... This shouldn't be an issue...

BTW the part numbers that I and Shaggy posted above are for headlights... Not fog lights... My bad.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
:confused: Is there a chance that the fog lamp brackets are loose or wobbly in the front bumper frame? Vibration is murder on a hot filament, and if you take a close look, they're not supported in the middle of the coil, even if they are short filaments......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts