Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 2003
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for 6 months or so, my FM radio in my 03 CTS has been randomly working. It seems that it will work usually on start up, but after 5 or so minutes I get static. I have done a TON of searching on the forums and found a couple of posts having the same problem, but I haven't found the solution. My AM radio works perfectly though. A month ago, I took out the stereo (stock with no nav) and unplugged the stock antenna and added my own. It is currently in the cabin of my car. I was able to receive all FM stations clearly, but AM was staticy. I thought I found the problem, but recently I have been losing reception like usual. I have a FM Transmitter that is 5 feet away from my antenna, and I will lose almost all signal.

Since I am getting the same results will the stock antenna and my antenna, I think I have it pinned down to 2 possibilities. A) My car is randomly creating electrical interference that messes with my stereo or B) my stereo itself is going bad. I think I should note that I am getting a "Service Electrical System" and "Service Charging System" every time I start my car. My mechanic told me it is a thing in the alternator that went bad and it isnt worth replacing the alternator until it dies. The code that it gave was P2500. I'm not sure if the alternator could be causing this problem.

The only thing I can think of is replacing the stereo, but don't want to do that and find that it was a waste. Thanks for reading through my paragraphs and I would love any ideas that anyone has!

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,803 Posts
Since you've narrowed it down to the radio. I would grab a cheap radio, or expensive if you wish, to replace the factory radio. And plug the factory antenna, with correct adaptor, just to test it out.

If the aftermarket radio loses resection, then it's something in your car. Perhaps the alternator.

KOT

·
Registered
CTS 2003
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, but didn't know if I was missing anything obvious. I need to purchase the PAC OS-2C-CTS for my Bose sound system to work, correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts