Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 fwb and I've been looking for a way to keep my old radio and get better audio results then just a cassette to aux cable. Whats seems like the best bet is to put a fm modulator in. Has anyone done this on theirs? I'm wondering what brands would be a good choice, where to get the power from in the trunk for the modulator, and whats the easiest path to run the aux cable from the trunk to either the center of the dash or to the front seat cup holders? Any help would be appreciated and hope everyone is having a awesome Christmas.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille
1,152 Posts
an FM modulator is for adding an audio input to a radio without one...mainly used for adding aftermarket DVD players and satellite radio. you will need something with RCA outputs to plug into the FM modulator

unless your adding satellite radio to your stock radio, its useless in your situation and the satellite units out today for stock radios have fm modulators built in them.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of just getting a rca to aux cable which should solve that. I already use one to play music from my ipod to an old audio receiver that only has rca plugs. I'm trying to keep everything looking original so that's why I wouldn't just put in a different radio to get the aux feature.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille
1,152 Posts
that will work but in the end its still an Fm modulator, you will still have mediocre sound. being a clear station you will always hear white noise like with the cassette adapter...good side though going that route is you can hook your ipod to it,

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
What are you trying to do just hook up an ipod? Pretty much any fm modulator you can find will have good results for that. The more expensive ones that hook directly upto the antenna wire probably work better.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 Sport Wagon Premium 3.6L | 94 Fleetwood Base (Gone)
317 Posts
Depends though - in high FM saturation areas, like here in Toronto, an FM modulator just sounds like crap. I think a lot of it has to do with the distance to the rear antenna. In the wife's civic, there's 3 spots on the FM dial that sound relatively ok, even good. But in the Fleetwood, even using the same channels, I've yet to find an FM modulator that worked decently for any extended period of time. And I've gone through 6 of them. The aux-cassette route worked better every time.

I finally bit the bullet and installed an aftermarket deck with multiple Aux ins.. With a proper wiring harness tapping into the factory amp, the sound from an aftermarket unit with a much cleaner signal than the factory radio is like night and day.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Did 93s have an option for a remote cd changer? If so, you could get an adapter for that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts