Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
04' CTS-V, 04' Escalade EXT
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the headers are on it's time for a flywheel upgrade.

For those who have done the job themselves.

Any suggestions on what to do/what not to do.

Can it be done in my garage on jackstands if I have a good transmission stand etc/tools.

What do you think?

:confused:

rgd

Ps. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
I don't know of a transmission jack that will fit under a car on jackstands, so I'm not sure I follow you.

I helped install mine at work, but we did it standing under the car on a rotary lift. There's a bit of wiggling/pushing needed to unseat/reseat the transmission, and I can't imagine having the leverage you need while lying on your back. Plus, if that sucker drops on your arm while under the car, you're trapped (not good).

It's an easy enough DIY, but only with a lift.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other option I am thinking of is doing it on my trailer. I can remove the center portion of my trailer and work under it. That gives me added room and no jack stands.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but I plan to eventually. You don't need a lift to change out a transmission, it just makes it easier. I have done many transmission swaps in the past while laying on my back. Once the transmission is out, the flywheel is easy enough to change. I say go for it and let us know how it goes.

Not sure about the trailer option. I suppose if the axles of the trailer aren't in the way it may make it easier. Although it may be too high to work on your back and too low to sit up.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
590 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but I plan to eventually. You don't need a lift to change out a transmission, it just makes it easier. I have done many transmission swaps in the past while laying on my back. Once the transmission is out, the flywheel is easy enough to change. I say go for it and let us know how it goes.

Not sure about the trailer option. I suppose if the axles of the trailer aren't in the way it may make it easier. Although it may be too high to work on your back and too low to sit up.
I plan to help a friend do this tomorrow on another brand car. We plan to change out the clutch and remove/resurface the flywheel. All we have are hydraulic jacks and jack stands but he has done this before many times so I assume he knows what he's doing. It will be good practice for me so that I can remove and toss the dual mass flywheel on my V when I get the time.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Take photos and do a step by step write-up for the FAQ. :thumbsup:
I will LMAO if someone takes pictures driving their V to the dealer and dropping it off for the Flywheel swap then do a write up and send it into the faq.

It might go something like:
1- Go into the Garage and prepare to unlock the car. if you leave your poor car outside then proceed to the next step
2- Unlock the car then sit in the car then push the clutch in and start the car
3-..............

Sorry Rick, Couldn't resist. :)

Kidding aside, I want to try this swap on Jack stands. and it would be helpful to have something lilke this on the Faq to avoid some of the mistakes that happen when doing a change like this.

I have a friend that modified a plate that fits into a standard Floor jack. With this plate you can strap the tranny to it and drop it pretty low (low profile aluminum floor jack) to hopefully pull it out far enough to get to the flywheel and clutch.

rgd,

If you could list the "pain" factor when you have completed this it would be helpful for me. I may have a local dealer install it if it turns out to be a major pain. I have pulled manual trannies from other cars but I didn't care that much about the car, This one I want to try and keep as close to perfect as possible.

·
Registered
09 Silver V 06 Silver Z06
1,918 Posts
i put the tranny back on my car while it was on jackstands, it is a 2-3 guy operation the damn thing is heavy as hell

plug we only had a regular large floor jack to stablize it on none of the fancy tranny jacks to strap it to.

:eek:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I do the change this month I will take picts and do a write up. I don't know if it will as fancy a write up as rick does but hey...

By the way Rick, just got my new PCM. Thanks

rgd-out

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I pulled the trigger!
Flywheel due end of next week.
Install write-up to follow.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Congrats, you'll love it.

Listening to other members' exhaust sounds videos, I can heare a huge difference between how fast mine runs through 1st versus theirs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts