Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that we all get a clanking/clunking noise if we shift in "a parade condition", got that from the GM TSB on the V 6-Speed.:mad:

Can anyone explain, WHY Cadillac uses a TWO Peice Flywheel?:hmm:

Or Why this noises is in the bell housing of a 48K+ automoble?:banghead:

It is Starting to Drive me Crazy:banghead:

Please help me UNDERSTAND!

·
Registered
148 Posts
From what I understand, the two peice flywheel is used to surpress vibration from the engine.
Not sure why cluncks, I think it is just the characteristic of the drive trane in these cars.

Sorry not much info...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The flywheel is probably the most torturous device of the V. It makes me feel like a beginner stick-driver, its makes all kinds of racket. Its heavy, loud, and adds to the shitty feeling of the drivetrain. Some engineer got paid a good deal of money putting a diesel truck's flywheel in our car...he should be flogged. If my flywheel needed replacing, I'd put a solid one in on my own dime...forget the warrantee.

Cadillac, are you listening??????

·
Registered
52 Posts
I found a good description:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3102/is_6_124/ai_n14890682

Of course most of the hits I got were discussion of trucks and dual mass flywheels.:rolleyes: :banghead:

I am about to buy the TPIS setup, but I am wondering if we can just get a Z06 setup and put it on our cars...

TPIS.com wants $695 including a stock Z06 pressure plate and disc. Maybe that's a good deal, not sure. You have to modify the bell housing a little evidently.

·
Registered
53 Posts
timazz-

I've driven the TPIS V a few times with the lighter flywheel. It is a noticeable difference in feel, much lighter at the beginning of the gear. I would go with the TPIS headers as well, since the labor is common (you will save on labor time). I inspected the TPIS clearance and all fits well now (previous posts noted a problem with fit).

·
Registered
173 Posts
I didn't read the post on it, but a dual mass flywheels purpose is absorb shocks and not to transmit them along the drivetrain. Maybe the clunking at slow speeds would be worse without it? Personally I think it was an attempt to make a weak diff survive.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys, I can honestly say that I have had Z28's, ZO6's, And a Corvette. However I have never heard noises like these in any car I have ever owned or driven.

Personally this car is the hardest, jerkiest and clankiest I have ever Owned or driven, But I still like it I guess.

·
Registered
52 Posts
MN CTS-VETT said:
timazz-

I've driven the TPIS V a few times with the lighter flywheel. It is a noticeable difference in feel, much lighter at the beginning of the gear. I would go with the TPIS headers as well, since the labor is common (you will save on labor time). I inspected the TPIS clearance and all fits well now (previous posts noted a problem with fit).
Yeah I was thinking kill many birds with one stone, flywheel/clutch, headers (not decided), shifter...

(was that a typo on my ID or a rub?:devil: )

·
Registered
52 Posts
a64pilot said:
I didn't read the post on it, but a dual mass flywheels purpose is absorb shocks and not to transmit them along the drivetrain. Maybe the clunking at slow speeds would be worse without it? Personally I think it was an attempt to make a weak diff survive.
The bio on DMF says it is to help a weak transmission, which we don't have!!??? All the rubber and bearings in the driveshaft(s) should eliminate vibes to the diff (or add more as it may be).:halo:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Caddy's attempts at covering a weak diff is 4fold...
TorqueMgmt...dieseltruckflywheel...rubber mounts on driveshaft...rubber mounted rear cradle.
They've failed horribly at making the car an enjoyable performance car or a luxury sedan. Pick one side and do that well, this straddling the road engineering has led to many issues of the V and is unacceptable.
I almost can't wait until I have a tranny/clutch/flywheel issue that's not warranteed...that way I can rationalize getting a solid flywheel.
the engineer deserves a beating...or a sandpapering....

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would have to disagree. Cadillac did build a real good high performance luxury sedan. Yeah the rear dif engineer needs to move over to Ford or Toyota. Cadillac did build a car that competes with the best from around the world (something an American maker has not done recently).

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Dave,
Please don't take my post as V bashing...its really not. I love the V and agree with your thoughts ; however, the engineers of the drivetrain(everything behind the engine in this instance) did a poor job. They tried to make a smooth, anyone can drive a stick, quiet, vibration-free system and FAILED. The flywheel design was origionally designed for diesel trucks, the rubber mounted driveshaft leads to "torque reversal", and the rubber mounted rear-cradle adds to the hop-skip-bang.
All of that is addressable with aftermarket pieces, but the cost is what is keeping me from doing it...now.

And please keep the dolt-engineers away from Toyota. I campaigned an MR2Spyder in CSP class for 4 years, and NEVER had a problem. Not a clunk, clank, whine, whistle,...nothing. What we need to do is get a few of their engineers working for GM...then we'll have a car I don't need to make excuses for when passengers hear the "clunks"....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
ace996