Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'96 Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've actually never taken apart an engine before, but I had to replace my alternator yesterday, and decided to check on the clip-on gaskets in the engine, as I'd always had some slight oil burning.
I opened it up and there was a huge pool of water in the engine, I'm guessing coolant, but is this supposed to pool like that?

This entire engine is a huge mess, and I'm not really sure what I can do to clean it up, but are there any recommendations of where to start? I'm not too name-literate with whats in the engine, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

(Just an fyi, I got this car second hand from someone for free, but the old guy never really took car of the car in general. I'm going to be replacing spark plugs, air/fuel/oil filters, and I've already swapped out the alternator, battery and pcv valve. I'm checking the fuel injectors and might have to replace one [90$ each is insane or else I'd do them all].)

Here's a higher res picture of the engine's very nasty interior.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,470 Posts
That's not the interior of the engine - that's the cylinder block/head "valley". Water is common if you wash the engine, coolant - maybe - but not likely, debris is also common from rats and mice nests.

Our intake manifolds are dry - no coolant passages - so the valley is open at the ends.

You'll notice the starter motor and solenoid is there, also. So is the knock sensor.

Nothing associated with the intake manifold, or the 8 intake port seals, has a thing to do with oil consumption. That's due to the PCV system, stuck/worn piston rings, worn valve guides/seals or overfilling the oil pan. 7.5 quarts with filter brings the proper level to the center of the dipstick hashmark. Read the sticky concerning piston rings and oil filling at the top of the Northstar threads page.

Look at parts in www.rockauto.com - reman injectors are nowhere near $90 apiece.

Why replace the fuel injectors ????

Before you dig into spark plugs (AC Delco platinum ONLY) and other stuff, I would suggest that you do some study in these forums and stickys. You obviously don't have a GM service manual set, so get one - either from eBay, www.helminc.com or a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com. You will NEED a service manual set - too many specialized procedures and torque values to simply wing it.
Welcome to CF !!!!! :highfive:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Yuck! What a mess.

Sub, that's under the manifold. How could it be related to the "PCV system, stuck/worn piston rings, worn valve guides/seals or overfilling the oil pan"? The only logical thing I can think of is a HG leaking coolant into the valley. I can't think of any other way for it to get there. :noidea:

·
Registered
2003 DTS
205 Posts
Seems like that rear valve cover has a pretty substantial leak. If you zoom in and take a close look. I'm not sure what's mixed with the oil in the pic....... how would coolant get there? Maybe soap from an engine wash?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,470 Posts
Sub, that's under the manifold. How could it be related to the "PCV system, stuck/worn piston rings, worn valve guides/seals or overfilling the oil pan"? The only logical thing I can think of is a HG leaking coolant into the valley. I can't think of any other way for it to get there. :noidea:
That was in reply to his first paragraph question about the excess oil burning/consumption.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts