Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 92 caddy with 125K on it; I love it and want to make it run top notch. Anyway, should I get the tranny fluid and coolant flushed and refilled, or would it be a waste of $$? What about the p steering fluid and brake fluid? If these will help the car run better, Ill do them, but if not Id rather save the $$. I know on older cars sometimes it may be better to not change the fluids all that often and create leaks/problems. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
The brake fluid wouldnt be a bad idea, and the PS fluid prolly isnt required but wont hurt anything..... Brake fluid can entrap moisture (unlike petroleum products which displace it) so you can actaully get some corrosion good stuff like that!!!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Good Q.

With the tranny I usually subscribed to the old don't touch if ain't broke.
Sometimes its hard to get a factory tight seal around the pan (if its not leaking now) if you do a filter change.....not mention mechanic could fk things up. However, I recently went for a tranny flush (they leave the filter and pan on but vacuum out all the juice, even the stuff that won't some out on a regular fluid change). I wanted to do it for preventive measures....not sure it was a good idea. I can;t tell the difference except I think it shifts worse and now hunts for gears during upshifts...ie they made it worse. (it was fine to begin with) so if you aren't having probs with the tranny and the fluid looks fine I probably won't go for it again.
The other fluids, I agree with wes.
My car was a one owner taken good care of by the original cad dealer....but when I heard some screeching from the power steering pump, I checked the powersteering fluid level and found it had been overfilled by at almost DOUBLE the max allowed. The amount of fluid I had to draw out of there was mind boggling. The pump still screeches and I think its gonna fail. So the lesson there was to check these things out yourself. Its amazing how many incompetent mechanics are out there. Many times at dealers chargin $100/hr labor I have had wires left dangling, door panel not screwed back, door latches that they forgot to connect after removing it for some reason.....(all of these from different dealers too...over the years) So don't trust it, check it yourself, check with the service manual to be sure too. (tranny fluid level checks can be a real hassle and involved procedure for some cars...if you do it wrong you'll be overfilling it and soon looking for a rebuild....this is why I take mine to a Cad Dealer when it comes to sensitive stuff like electronics and tranny work (I haven't found any good independent mechanics I can trust around here yet)

*If the grease monkey jumps in your white leather seats and floor mats with his greasy ass, hands and boots....There's your sign!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
For the tranny fluid, if its old and you do a chemical flush, that can be very dangerous.... Its a shock to the system, and it can break up (and possibly clog) a bunch of little passages within the valve body....

If the fluid is old, I recommend doing several fluid exchanges (drain and refill) over a full flush..... Its a bit more gentle and will clean things slowly.....

However, flushes are good when its been maintained.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so I should just leave the tranny fluid than? Sounds good to me; saves me some cash - I just thought maybe it would make it run better, but apparently thats not the case. From the responses, I take it the brake fluid change is a good idea. What about the p steering? Is there any point in doing it? Lastly, what about the coolant? Will flushing that have any negative or positive impact? I heard that you must use some kind of pellets or else the engine will be damaged; is this true? Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
I wouldn't tempt the P/S pump. They have a history on the 4.9s. Just make sure the fluid is a nice golden color, and at the right level. Coolant is a definite. Flush it out completely, and when it is time to refill take care to get the ratios correct with one of those little hydrometers. If you get the GM pellets, crush them up and put them in the lower rad. hose. If you go with the Bars Leak powder, it is already crushed, just dump it into the lower rad hose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts