Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
06 CTS-V, 2010 CTS-V Sedan
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've search high and low for a blown fuse. None of the flood or interior lights seem to be working. I noticed it first when the trunk light did not go on (I thought maybe because it was dusk). Now it's completely dark outside and no joy on the trunk light, under floor lights, door lights, and dome lights including mirrors. What fuse is all this attached to or could it be possibly a short in the system somewhere? Then, any tips on how to find where?

Also, most of these bulbs were replaced with LEDs, so without the proper power, none will work. But some have a very slight light up to them like there's very little power, but not enough to power them fully on.

Thanks for the help ya'll!

Sucks not having night lights. These things lit up really nice at night.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What, I figured... needs to be in low light conditions... But not working anyways, looks like I got some checks to do. Thanks darkman! Is this scan tool any scan tool you can get like a check engine light reader?

It's weird that the LEDs still illuminate very slightly...

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
The scanner referred to is a GM Tech II scanner. I know next to nothing about LEDs, but having some light could indicate an oxidized connection or ground. I would also look at the light sensor that measure ambient light.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok so I think I know what happened...

The two trunk dome light wires ended up touching, I had it disconnected because I was going to install an LED light strip for brighter light back there. Due to the crappy electrical tape job because I hate electrical tape, I think the two wires touched. So this caused the whole system to go out somehow.

So I've tried to check all the fuses and they seem to be okay. What fuse or what else could be the issue before I try to locate one of these GM scan tools?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 Thunder Gray CTS-V
42 Posts
I bought a knockoff tech2 have used it on my Corvettes but not the CTS-V Here's where i bought it:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Professional-GM-Tech-2-Scanner-With-Candi-And-TIS-Software-GM-TECH2-32MB-Card-GM-Holden/1214563251.html

There is a discussion going on about them on the Corvette forum:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3525720-knockoff-tech2.html

Darkman's ebay link is correct, there are a lot of ripoff artists selling the clones as the real deal, so if your interest goes there, buyer beware. My buying experience with Aliexpress was OK, but I watched my card transaction like a hawk. Aliexpress is actually a broker, (I think) and the hold funds until you receive your goods. In the end, I am satisfied with the knockoff tech2 for my purpose,but I look at as a throwaway, as the first time it poops in it's diapers, in to the trash. I've returned my investment with the diagnostic capability, so all is good with me.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Ok so without the GM tech 2 scanner, anyone know what would go out if the two trunk light wires touched?
There are two sets of light circuits in the trunk, one for interior lights and one for exterior lights (e.g. tail lights). The interior lights are presumably protected by a 10A fuse in the right rear (under seat) fuse block. There is also a Diode, and a relay, also located in the same fuse block on that circuit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome. So if the fuse is fine, it might possibly be the diode or the relay? Any recommendations on testing those out?

I know on relays, you can hear a click when it gets turned off and on, but what about the diode?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
The diode can be tested with a multimeter - there are Youtube videos on this. Relays are cheap, and if the replacement proves unnecessary having a spare is not a bad thing. See attached.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts