Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
Unnecessarily tricky. Eye candy. Tacky.

Watch the road and traffic, not the maps.

besides - The commuter with the morning paper clipped to the steering wheel couldn't see it anyway.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI - EU version
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, it stops being an eye-candy as soon as you touch it with your fingers.

You'll also have to watch it any time you want to adjust the climate control or something you can't o from the steering wheel controls (which will also look like smudge advertisement 10 minutes into usage).

Recent Cadillacs also have digital LCD gauge clusters, what's their visibility under direct sunlight?

·
Administrator
68,458 Posts
Heh, it stops being an eye-candy as soon as you touch it with your fingers.
Yep - You go right ahead and reach through that steering wheel at 75 mph in heavy traffic.

Next thing you know they'll come up with a smart phone in the steering wheel center so you can text while driving - easily.

(Where will you get it serviced in Prague ?)

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI - EU version
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I wouldn't be all that surprised if they actually included Twitter "app" in this. Or just something that would pop up every now and then to keep you up to date with your imaginary Facebook friends...

But I don't think they'd be that dumb to actually give that "gauge cluster" touch input, that would just be silly.

(it's called CarForYou, they say they're an authorised dealer/ service shop for... well GM stuff. That's if I ever get a Caddy of my own anyway. If I don't, I'll get a Cruze / Malibu and service it there as well though)

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
[video=dailymotion;x2qtnm4]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qtnm4[/video]

Touch screens should be completely disabled when a car is in motion. They should also not display anything when the car is in motion that isn't necessary to the operation of the car and takes more than a second to comprehend. The reasons there are laws against playing videos or handling a phone are just as relevant for touch screens. Any distraction from driving such as looking away from the road to get information from a screen or to see where to touch one to accomplish some task is a BAD thing. Even looking down at the speedometer or other gauges is a minor distraction but some are a practical necessity based on what was or is available. Any distraction will cause some accidents and death so we should NOT create them when there are safer alternatives such as knobs and switches that you can quickly feel without taking your eyes off the road. Leave the touch screens to aircraft or boats that aren't navigating feet apart.

I have to say something about the anti-texting comment though because texting was never a problem; handling a phone, typing and reading texts was a problem. Texting became a bad word because in the past it involved those behaviors but they aren't required, so its a lot like "guns don't kill people, people kill people". Texting while driving doesn't kill people, handling a phone, typing or reading while driving kills people. Texting is communicating via text. But the text can be created by speaking and consumed by listening alone with absolutely no need to look at or touch anything. So receiving and sending texts that way is actually safer while driving than looking at a map or even a hands free phone call or talking to a passenger.

When I get a text while driving, my phone mutes anything I'm listening to thru the car's infotainment system and announces the text thru the car's speakers and asks if I want to have it read. I can say yes (thru the car's handsfree microphone) and the phone will read the text thru the car's sound system and ask me if I want to dictate a response. At no time do I need to touch ANYTHING or take my eyes off the road. This doesn't require even the slightest accomodation by the car, its purely a phone function that works with any car with blue tooth.

Just a comment about outdated and inaccurate definitions of "texting".

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
But I don't think they'd be that dumb to actually give that "gauge cluster" touch input, that would just be silly.
You underestimate competitive marketing. If they think it will boost sales, they will make it. It is up to YOU to use it safely (DISCLAIMER: "Not intended for use while driving")

·
Administrator
68,458 Posts
"Texting" is texting - physically typing/handling/looking at a phone - whether sitting in a bar or driving a car. Semantics be damned, a hands-free automotive phone/messaging system is one hell of a ways removed from the generally accepted definition of texting. (......... and I believe that even the hands-free systems are contributory to moving accident rates)

Fight it out with the states that have the overhead and roadside signs - "Texting while driving is illegal".

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Semantics be damned, a hands-free automotive phone/messaging system is one hell of a ways removed from the generally accepted definition of texting.
That's my point, generally accepted doesn't mean right. And its not an automotive thing. I haven't read or typed a text message in months and can't recall the last time I was holding my phone in or out of the car while texting. Its all voice control. Which is how cars should be controlled with buttons and knobs as a backup rather than via touch screens. We use our eyes and hands to keep the shiny side up and avoiding bumping into things, not our ears and voices so much. That's why stereos and talking to passengers are legal. Nobody is seriously advocating making stereos illegal or requiring passengers to be gagged. But both can prevent or delay the driver from hearing a siren or other car skidding out of control or even a tire starting to delaminate.

(......... and I believe that even the hands-free systems are contributory to moving accident rates)
Absolutely, but not as much as listening to a stereo or talking to a passenger or driving faster than you can walk or drinking a coffee or hundreds of other things. Its all cost vs benefit. But listening to a text or dictating a response is less distracting than talking to a passenger or someone on a phone. Real time communication uses a lot more brain power because you have to get it right on the fly and on the clock. Picture this, your wife asks you if these clothes make her look fat, now picture her sending you an email or text that asks the same thing. Are you worrying you'll say the wrong thing in your email or text response? Anything realtime is more distracting. When was the last time a passenger asked where you should stop for lunch and you told them you'll get back to them? With a text, the "I'll get back to you" is built in regardless of the topic. From a safety standpoint the best to worst forms of comunication while driving are: texting (via hearing and voice alone), hands free calling, talking to a passenger and texting (via readng and typing).

Fight it out with the states that have the overhead and roadside signs - "Texting while driving is illegal".
I'm not arguing with anyone and don't care much if someone uses an inaccurate definition, just throwing it out for anyone interested in updating.

C

·
0 Posts
That is what CUE should have looked like from the beginning including voice control for hvac IMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts