Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... alright today i was at a stop light and i seen a black Fleetwood (95-96) with 20 inch chrome ESV wheels. car was bagged too. i fell in love all over again. they must have got a conversion kit done on it or something, wonder how good the clearance was on the rear fender wells? anyway... opinions? i think i might do that to the next Fleetwood i get.

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Destroyer said:
Escalade has 6 lug wheels. How did they do that?
conversion kit is the only thing i can think of. i didnt get to talk to him, wish i could have. if i see him around again ill ask but i guaruntee that is what he did. it was very nice looking.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you have enough money they could have either gotten them custom made or custom drilled somehow without sacrificing quality.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Drop in Suburban/Truck axles with 6 lug in the back (may need to be shortened or confirm length, maybe even K1500 axles will work best they are shorter than 2WD) and Suburban C1500/2500/Truck rotors in the front (w/6 lug) and it is near a bolt on!

Probably do it for $500 or less, depending on how much you source yourself and do yourself.

·
Registered
927 Posts
LaneWvr said:
there are adapters, they just aren't very safe or recommended.
The only reason why i dont think its adapters is because adapters put the wheel farther out at least 1" and I dont think theres enough space for the rears to be put out that far I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Wheel adapters like that have always been a scary though....

I would consider the 5 to 6 lug conversion, but only if I can swap back easily (rotor and axle swap isn't too bad). But it would have to be if the wheels were dirt cheap too!! Else not worth it for me.

And look good, that is #1. If it doesn't look right, it doesn't get bolted to my ride!

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Katshot said:
Most likely they were wheels that "looked like" Escalade wheels.
Exactly my thoughts. There are a LOT of wheels that very closely resemble the stock Platinum model wheels, mainly because they're such a basic, flat spoke design. And there's always the possibility that they could look "genuine Cadillac" just with some emblems or a wreath and crest set attached to the centers.

Otherwise, it'd just be too much work to have such a plain looking set of rims, and I don't think anyone would seriously go to such trouble.

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope guys they are the real thing. i talked to him today, conversion kit, he shortened the rear axle. he said he could just barely get the wheels on so he had the rear axle shortened two inches i think is what he said. bought the wheels from the dealership. only had them for about 2 months.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
93fleetwoodlowlow said:
nope guys they are the real thing. i talked to him today, conversion kit, he shortened the rear axle. he said he could just barely get the wheels on so he had the rear axle shortened two inches i think is what he said. bought the wheels from the dealership. only had them for about 2 months.
Why in the world would you go to all that damn trouble, when you could just get an aftermarket set that look virtually identical but fit without conversion?

I guess he stayed genuine to GM/Caddy, but that's just way too much work IMHO.

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
caddycruiser said:
Why in the world would you go to all that damn trouble, when you could just get an aftermarket set that look virtually identical but fit without conversion?

I guess he stayed genuine to GM/Caddy, but that's just way too much work IMHO.
hmmm, good question. if i see him again ill ask him. what company would do that though? it was really nice looking plus the bags really made it. we talked about it for a while and he said a few months back he seen a big purple Fleetwood that was juiced and he was hooked, i told him it was my car and he didnt believe me at first. i told him about the wreck and he said it was a shame. i told him about this place so i hope he joins. he said he's been here before but would look again.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Having the axles shortened doesn't exactly explain how a 6 lug wheel will fit on there.

We should have a size limit on signatures.

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)
607 Posts
93fleetwoodlowlow said:
nope guys they are the real thing. i talked to him today, conversion kit, he shortened the rear axle.
So where are the pictures, then??
:duck:

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
davesdeville said:
Having the axles shortened doesn't exactly explain how a 6 lug wheel will fit on there.

We should have a size limit on signatures.
conversion kit Dave. he said he couldnt get clearance from the rear fender wells so he cut it.

i

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)
607 Posts
93fleetwoodlowlow said:
:cynic: who are you exactly? i dont have a camera so i cant take pictures.
:hide:

Ummmmmm, well ok don't show us pictures then.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Conversion kit? Shortening axle? Owch. I like my plan of going 6 bolt on the Cad! Take some doing still (biggest $$ is the ABS/TC and keeping it alive), but axle width is the same as stock.

93fleetwoodlowlow said:
conversion kit Dave. he said he couldnt get clearance from the rear fender wells so he cut it.

i

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
N0DIH said:
Conversion kit? Shortening axle? Owch. I like my plan of going 6 bolt on the Cad! Take some doing still (biggest $$ is the ABS/TC and keeping it alive), but axle width is the same as stock.
he said he had to cut it because he couldnt get clearance from the fender skirts so he shortened the axle or something, something to do with the conversion kit. i wish he would hurry up and see this so he could join and tell you all how he did it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts