Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a story that will have some people giving second thoughts about old cadillacs.... I got about 100 similar stories, but this one is pretty funny as I usually tell the other guys what my car really is.... In this case, I played the game....

Well, lets just say this did not happen on the street, and in these guys eyes... I'm sure it just did not happen..... I was out crusing and getting some fuel in the 80 at my favorite race track, and here comes a race between a mid 90's LT1 Z28 camaro with the usual flowmasters, and a Suburu WRX behind me.... I pulled over a bit to let them pass as the WRX was kicking the pants off the camaro by at least 3 cars. They got ahead of me so I followed a bit and was sitting behind the camaro at the next light.....

The (track tree) changed to green and they were off again in front of me and I was the second car at the light behind the camaro... I just could not resist putting the hammer down, cutting around then in front of the camaro as I easily passed him, as he was just whaling the crap out of his back tires, going nowhere, and I preceded to put about 3 lenths on the WRX and about 6 on the camaro when I hit what was close the the 1320 mark, judging by my speed.... You should have seen the look in these guys eyes when this vouge tired, wire wheeled car passed the WRX... He was obviously expecting a camaro and had no clue what was going on behind him....

The driver and his mouthpiece (passenger) of course were in disbelief and we were now lined up at the next light with the camaro no where to be found again.. Did the ususal turn off after defete patented by the ricer crowd... The guy in the WRX made the claim that I must have been going real fast from behind before they started to be able to pass them like that... He obviously had no clue I was even there until he was passed..... Very observant driver! He said.."wait till the light changes then you will see what this thing can do", refering to his All wheel drive turbo WRX... I said... No problem... The light turns, my Fleetwood imedialtly puts 3 lenghts on him and procedes up to about 6 before he gave up the ghost way past the 1/4. It was a good long stretch and I made sure he knew that he was not coming back at any speed as I probably hit near 130 way down the "track".

At this point I slowed way down and he came up to me and said "what have you done to it, I cant believe it"... I said "nothing, its stock"..... He said, "you are so full of BS"... I said why do you say.... He responds with.. "My WRX is boosted, I have (this that and the other), and you see this little thing on my dash".... I said, what... "Your radar detector", knowing all along it was a g-tech.... He said no and explained what it was and said to me, "That last race we had, I clocked a 13:5? at 101 MPH and you were running off on me". I asked toyingly, " Isn't your GEO a 4 cylinder???... This cadillac is an 8" He quickly corrects my by telling me he is a suburu WRX 4 wheel drive turbo, a very fast car that should be able to beat any cadillac.. He asks what size engine I have... I say, "its a 4.1 liter", knowing how observant he really was and with 8.2 litre emblems staring him at in the face.... Never even read them....

He of course is dumfounded and then gets the, "NAWWSS" excuse going... I said, "what is NAWWWSS?", and I am pretty sure he believed that I had no idea what he was talking about, not that I have it anyway, by my inocent and confused response. He then asks how much HP those cadillacs have.... I said, "if I remeber right, about 180".... He laughed and proceded to tell me about how he dynoed 305 to the wheels on his WRX... I said... "I used to have a chevy impala with a 305 2 barrel, it was real fast", just adding my apparant stupidity to his confusion and wounds....

The conversation went round and round and he eventually complemented me on the cadillac, race, etc.. I did the same and told him thanks for letting me know about the WRX as I had never heard of one......... He ends it by saying "man, there is no way you can tell me that your cadillac is even close to stock" I said with an innocent and confused tone, "why"... He said, "there is no other cadillac on earth that I have seen run like that".... I get him with my favorite line by saying... "Have you actually raced one of these before"... He pauses for a moment and says "no, but everyone knows those cars are real slow"... I said," I think you have got it all wrong.... The cars are not slow, its just the people who drive them,,, If you thnk these are fast, you should see those Northstars as they have double the horspower of these cars".... Having 20+ years on this guy and doing it with a serious face, I think he was beginning to fear that cadillacs may have more than he expected....... He smiled with his jaw below his belt and I drove off telling him goodnight....

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Ah thats hillarious.. I need a couple grand so I can get my car running like that and scaring people with it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah yes... Its so fun!! I have never had so much fun in any car! You will too Dave!

I am not so certain that a couple of grand by itself will do it though, and thats doing 100% of the work yourself less the machine work to the engine. I have to admit it takes a bit to get one of these cars to run like this and its not exactly cheap in relitive terms. You definatly can get one of these it in the 14's and possibly high 13's for a couple with a used 500 engine from the yards, but beyond that, while maintaning integrity, handeling and all the working acceccories is a bit of a feat to get one to run in the high 12's reliably, that is without cutting weight off the car by chopping it up as some fast cads have done. I'll be glad to give you the magic "formula" when you are ready, but multiply your above guess by 5 and thats about the beginning.... This is also about the 8th or so 80-89 brougham I have converted from their original config to a 500. I have done this a bit but usually for more normal cars and other people who do not race these things. This one I have is definatly the best one to date I have done and definatly has the most powerful 500 I have put in to date.

davesdeville said:
Ah thats hillarious.. I need a couple grand so I can get my car running like that and scaring people with it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mikethegreeat said:
;) my bad dude, i take that back..sorry

i think evryone here would agree if i said this is one of the fastest cadillacs on the street, all hail to king of cadillacs... the fleetwood 500...lol your car rocks!

·
Registered
989 Posts
That's so funny!!! Now he's goin to tell all his little rice friends how fast the cadillacs are and they're either going to be afraid of them or race one and beat it badly and think the guy with the WRX is an idiot.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Not to be an ass or anything but I want to see a timeslip before I can actually believe this story. But a stock WRX does mid to low 14's and then adding about $2000 woth of mod's is a good high to mid 12 sec. WRX. My buddy has a 2003 WRX with a boost controller, CAI, exhaust, and a 75 shot of nitrous and he's doing 12.8's in the 1/4

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
Not to be an ass or anything but I want to see a timeslip before I can actually believe this story. But a stock WRX does mid to low 14's and then adding about $2000 woth of mod's is a good high to mid 12 sec. WRX. My buddy has a 2003 WRX with a boost controller, CAI, exhaust, and a 75 shot of nitrous and he's doing 12.8's in the 1/4
psst

http://www.mcsmk8.com/80CAD-500/MAVICA.HTM

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks and no prob.... I definatly would not call this the fastest cadillac on earth, as there are many that have been 1/4 mile built just to do that race only at the sacrifice of the car itself... They are quicker than me by far and are in the 10 second range...My STS is "faster" than this 500 cad hitting the low 160's and the gearing on the 500 car only allows it to go about 140.... This old cadillac is definatly much quicker than my STS, that is very quick itself. I am in the process of putting a Gear Vendors OD behind the modded TH400 in the old cadillac in the next few months that will resolve this!!!...

I might be as bold to say that my Brougham may be the best set up and most well rounded transplant cadillac on earth, as I started with one of the nicest car on earth and I kept it all the way it is supposed to be with integrity its #1 objective over performance. Its AC works as original, its cruise control works as original and its fuel economy is roughly close to original and its reliability is as good as it gets... You will never know what it is just as this story is about.

As far as the guy talking about WRX's..... Yes I am sure a friend of a friend could have a WRX that is much faster than my car, just as I have other cars that are much faster than this old cadillac.....There is always someone faster, no matter what you think... I have been racing for near 30 years in very fast cars....this cadillac is not just to mess with people, its what I wanted to do for a very long time as I like the car and just wanted it to run like an average luxury car of today.... Seems Like high 12's are the standard as Mercedes has made it that way in most of their high end sedans.. The point of the story was the humor.. Not the fact that my normal looking old cadillac could beat every max boosted, short lived WRX on earth.. I just beat this one in this story.

One thing you can wager on without a shadow of a doubt... One year from now or sooner, my car will still be running high 12's... The guy running Nitrous on a WRX will be arguing with the dealership about his warranty being voided when he blew his engine up.... Not "if" he blew it up...."When"...... Thus the typical story of Nitrous....

If you want to go fast... Buy a car that is fast to begin with like a corvette as its cheaper in the long run that modding up WRX's and cars that are 14 second cars from the factory...... If you want to have fun, make something that is not fast, somewhat fast... This is what I did with my old Fleetwood and its not always the cheapest route.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Ultra Slow said:
Ah yes... Its so fun!! I have never had so much fun in any car! You will too Dave!

I am not so certain that a couple of grand by itself will do it though, and thats doing 100% of the work yourself less the machine work to the engine.
All I'm looking to do is an intake, exhaust, and 425 heads on a 500. That should get me ~375hp and would likely cost me around a grand. So dont worry you won't have competition from me. In fact I may just go for a 75 DeVille with a 500 in it, and get it running low 15s or high 14s with the above mentioned work, and possibly nitrous for mid 13s when I really need it. Now that would scare people: a 5200 pound car running in the mid 13s :eek:

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
davesdeville said:
All I'm looking to do is an intake, exhaust, and 425 heads on a 500. That should get me ~375hp and would likely cost me around a grand. So dont worry you won't have competition from me. In fact I may just go for a 75 DeVille with a 500 in it, and get it running low 15s or high 14s with the above mentioned work, and possibly nitrous for mid 13s when I really need it. Now that would scare people: a 5200 pound car running in the mid 13s :eek:
I don't think they would be scared of a 5200 lbs. car doing 13's. I think they would be scared after the 13 sec. run trying to get the boat to stop! :bulging:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts