Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I know the Roadmaster rides softer. How much of a difference are we talking about? I know the Fleetwood also handles better - and that's the tradeoff..

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Driving a cadillac instead of a buick..... :D

Sorry, i couldnt resist........

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
elwesso said:
Driving a Cadillac instead of a Buick..... :D

Sorry, I couldnt resist........

Ahhh! But You are right Grasshopper.....But if we were talking about the Roadmasters of old it might be a slightly different story.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Hey. I know the Roadmaster rides softer. How much of a difference are we talking about? I know the Fleetwood also handles better - and that's the tradeoff..
You know the Roadmaster rides better? And the Fleetwood handles better? I think you have that backwards. The Roadmasters I drove handled slightly tighter, had a lighter feeling steering, and were less "boat-like". The Roadmaster is a "B" body car and therefore shares its size, and running gear directly with the Caprice/Impala. The car's lighter and has tighter suspension calibration than the Fleetwood.

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be cool, Katshot.. I read somewhere about the Fleetwood having a tighter ride than the Roadmaster. And that it's not quite as soft as the previous Broughams... Probably all a matter of opinion...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I think you're basically right that the '93-'96 Fleetwood doesn't ride quite as soft as the previous models. That will also depend on what model you're comparing; Fleetwood, Fleetwood Brougham, with or without trailer towing packages, or livery (R1P) package, etc. Not to mention that by 80-100K miles, a lot of people have replaced OEM suspension components with Lord knows what aftermarket stuff, or maybe haven't replaced anything at all which could be even worse.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
What a great topic for me to comment on--we have both a '92 Roadmaster Limited and a '93 Fleetwood Brougham, both identical white with the same red leather interior. I've driven them both back to back and at over different roads, and know how they both drive.

The Buick:
-Tighter feeling, both in ride and handling
-Feels smaller and easier to manuever (it is, slightly)
-If I can say it, it actually feels "sportier" on the road
-Steering is slightly sharper, but not much
-Feels a little faster, but I think that’s just because the engine is louder

The Cadillac:
-Almost flawless, silky feeling ride, softer than the Buick
-Handling feels the same, maybe just a hair not as sharp
-Feels a little more floaty, but not much and not nearly as much as some of the Fleetwoods some of you guys seem to have driven. It’s very stable.
-Slightly quieter
-Seems slower, maybe because it’s so silent and silky accelerating

Braking feels identical. One thing to note, is that the Roadmaster has 185,000 miles on it and barely looks or feels like it, but there clearly is more wear and tear on this car than the Caddy. The Cadillac just feels newer (it is) and "fresher" on the road as it only has 89,000 miles. Everything, from suspension to brakes to acceleration feels perfect and new. In the end, my impressions are this: The Buick is smaller and a little more crisp in it’s responses on the road, but the Cadillac is a little softer and even more soothing, plus has more room and looks somewhat nicer. Like katshot said, the smaller Buick is less boat-like than the larger Fleetwood. If asked to choose, I’d say I prefer the Cadillac over the Buick, but the Roadmaster does have it’s own nice qualities and is an equally impressive road monster.

I’ve read the same thing in various articles about the Fleetwood being designed to have a slightly firmer ride and steering and less bob and float than the Caprice or Roadmaster, but with owning both, I’d say the opposite is true, or at least it feels that way in ours.

Take a look at both (I'm trying to add more pics soon):
Fleetwood & Roadmaster Pics

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was waiting for you to respond.. You probably read the same thing that I did.. I'm glad to hear what you guys are saying.. That's music to my ears. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wouldn't you have to take into consideration if it has the FE1, FE2 or FE7 suspension? Certainly a Fleetwood with the FE2 suspension would handle better and feel more firm than a Roadmaster with the FE1 suspension and visa-versa.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I think the people who were replying to this post stopped caring 11 years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts