Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A buddy at work saw the Fleetwood and assumed that because of its size, it was slow. His vehicle is a 2000 Mustang V6. I'm sure most of you are already going "A V6 Mustang? He's toast" You'd be right. :) We set up to race, and I waited after work for him to finish last night. We left, and on the way to the spot I had picked out, he stomped on it, and I gave chase. (I also noticed, he was NOT posi. The launches were mine) From 20-80 the Fleetwood pulled him right back in. Well, we got to the spot, and set up next to each other. He asked how I wanted to do it, and I told him he could count it down, and he said "Okay" and then just went for it. No count or anything, but whatever. I was already ready to launch, so I did, mildly, because the roads were still a little damp. Not much, but enough that I couldn't do a full on launch. The big Caddy took off, with some spinning, but posi is a wonderful thing. Even with the butt thinking about stepping out a bit, I just stayed in the gas and kept it under control. By 40 I was already ahead of him completely. By 60, it was a car length. By 80, like 3 or 4 lengths. We shut it down, and he made his turn, but he said "That Caddy's quick." Jack ain't much of a talker. :) Now I just need to collect my $20 from him on Saturday.

PS: My new cam arrived, and I'm setting up my appointment for a cam swap, headers, valvesprings etc soon. :)

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Haha, nice!

My Fleetwood destroyed my friend's 1997 Mustang GT with the 4.6 liter/auto. I pulled 2-3 car lengths on him by the time we hit 65 mph :thumbsup:

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
A buddy at work saw the Fleetwood and assumed that because of its size, it was slow. His vehicle is a 2000 Mustang V6. I'm sure most of you are already going "A V6 Mustang? He's toast" You'd be right. :) We set up to race, and I waited after work for him to finish last night. We left, and on the way to the spot I had picked out, he stomped on it, and I gave chase. (I also noticed, he was NOT posi. The launches were mine) From 20-80 the Fleetwood pulled him right back in. Well, we got to the spot, and set up next to each other. He asked how I wanted to do it, and I told him he could count it down, and he said "Okay" and then just went for it. No count or anything, but whatever. I was already ready to launch, so I did, mildly, because the roads were still a little damp. Not much, but enough that I couldn't do a full on launch. The big Caddy took off, with some spinning, but posi is a wonderful thing. Even with the butt thinking about stepping out a bit, I just stayed in the gas and kept it under control. By 40 I was already ahead of him completely. By 60, it was a car length. By 80, like 3 or 4 lengths. We shut it down, and he made his turn, but he said "That Caddy's quick." Jack ain't much of a talker. :) Now I just need to collect my $20 from him on Saturday.

PS: My new cam arrived, and I'm setting up my appointment for a cam swap, headers, valvesprings etc soon. :)
I remember you talking all about your Eldorado on gmforums.com way back in the day.. When I heard you were getting a Fleetwood, I knew good things were going to happen. :) Nice kill. :D

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Nice ! That means I will be satisfied with the power of LT1 ;)

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The key to a Fleetwood, is yank that rear end quick. 2.56 gears are just blah. The best overall ratios a friend and I had calculated out for the Fleetwoods are 3.42 and 3.55. The main reason is it's a lot shorter than the 2.56, but it still leaves enough range to make use of the very wide powerband of an LT1. 3.73 ans 4.11's are both so short, that when at WOT, you don't actually ever get to see your peak torque.

Oh yea, as for the Eldorado or the Fleetwood. I want my Eldorado back, no question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts