Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a an oil leak somewhere on my 1987 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance. It has the carburettor 305ci engine and 4-speed auto with column change.

I've checked the trans fluid, and everything is ok there, fluid good and the level is right and never drops.

Also checked the oil level in the lump, and again it all seems fine, the level never drops.

The leak appears to be coming from just behind the transmission, probably level with the driver if you're inside. I have a feeling it might be the final drive, but I'm not sure.

Car drives perfectly, and hasn't had any problems in the 9 months I've owned it - anyone got any thoughts?

One last thing, the car will never fire first time from cold, I have to pump the gas pedal while turning it over to get it to fire. Once warmed up (couple of minutes), it'll start just fine with no need to go near the gas pedal. I reckon it might be the choke on the carb, but I'm not sure...

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Tony
London, UK
 

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
Joined
·
397 Posts
ukcaddyfan said:
I have a an oil leak somewhere on my 1987 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance. It has the carburettor 305ci engine and 4-speed auto with column change.

I've checked the trans fluid, and everything is ok there, fluid good and the level is right and never drops.

Also checked the oil level in the lump, and again it all seems fine, the level never drops.

The leak appears to be coming from just behind the transmission, probably level with the driver if you're inside. I have a feeling it might be the final drive, but I'm not sure.

Car drives perfectly, and hasn't had any problems in the 9 months I've owned it - anyone got any thoughts?

One last thing, the car will never fire first time from cold, I have to pump the gas pedal while turning it over to get it to fire. Once warmed up (couple of minutes), it'll start just fine with no need to go near the gas pedal. I reckon it might be the choke on the carb, but I'm not sure...

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Tony
London, UK
Did you check the power steering fluid level?
 

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
Joined
·
7,971 Posts
ukcaddyfan said:
One last thing, the car will never fire first time from cold, I have to pump the gas pedal while turning it over to get it to fire. Once warmed up (couple of minutes), it'll start just fine with no need to go near the gas pedal. I reckon it might be the choke on the carb, but I'm not sure...

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Tony
London, UK
I have that problem with my 425ci 78 Fleetwood.. maybe the carb or fuel pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
davesdeville said:
I have that problem with my 425ci 78 Fleetwood.. maybe the carb or fuel pump.
It's the carb. Does it with me too. You might be leaking from the rear bell housing. If so, that means tranny is coming off and you're replacing the $4-6 seal. If in fact you're talking abou twhere the engine and tranny meet. What color is the fluid?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MMNineInchNails said:
It's the carb. Does it with me too. You might be leaking from the rear bell housing. If so, that means tranny is coming off and you're replacing the $4-6 seal. If in fact you're talking abou twhere the engine and tranny meet. What color is the fluid?

I think you're right about it being bell housing oil seal, as it is definitely leaking from that sort of area. The leak itself looks like engine oil, and leaves a nice stain on the driveway!

Guess I'm gonna have to chat to a transmission specialist here in the UK for a quote on doing the oil seal, though it may have to wait until I have another job - unemployed at the moment..... Anyone out there wanna sponsor an IT guy so I can escape the UK and move to the USA!!!!!

Thanks for your help guys....
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Used tranny fluid will sometimes look like oil....... Smell the dipstick on the engine, and then smell the fluid that is leaking...... I bet it is burnt ATF......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
Hey Tony,
Your car has a 307 Olds engine, not a 305 Chevy engine. This is important because the two engines are quite different and when ordering parts, you'll want to know the proper ID so you get the right parts.
Your hard starting when cold IS the choke and is very easy to fix. If you're familiar with carburators, I can walk you through it.
The leak sounds like trans fluid. You said the leak is from BEHIND the trans. This would indicate a bad tailshaft seal if it's leaking from where the driveshaft goes into the trans. If the leak is from where the front inspection cover is (between the engine and trans), it could be many things. You 'll need to remove the cover to see SPECIFICALLY where the leak is coming from. It may be engine oil tracking down there from a number of places or a common problem is the trans pump seal. Once under the car looking up with a light, it should be fairly easy to locate the source.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top