Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just playing with a friend last night with his STi vs my Fleetwood.

20-70, he is most definately faster, but up to 60 I kept him on my blind spot to my side, once we got to 70 mph his rear bumper was at my front.

Yes, he would kick my booty in the 1/4 mile (my guess is 1-2 car lengths at best), but I will make him work for every inch of it!!! I think I got his respect though, I gave him one hell of a hard time. We would have done from 0, but too slick to nail it with all the salt on the ground. Hard to say if starting from dead stop would be better for him or me. I have traction issues, he doesn't, but he has to shift pretty quick 1-2. I can get at least 40 mph in first assuming traction control doesn't mess me up.

My Fleetwood is no slouch.... It eats Hemi Rams for a snack...

But that STi is a fun car to drive, has balls and demands respect. Now if GM would get off their corp butts and make a serious competetor to it with the Sunfire! Forget FWD, AWD is where they need to be. Price? Yes, it will be around $30K, but a SC or Turbo Ecotec AWD would be a blast!!

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
From a dead stop you probably would get it worse no matter what. You got alot more of an ass to get movin then he does. Most Caddys are better in the higher rpms

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I'm glad you had some fun with him but this is DEFINATELY another case of a guy that can't drive his car. I ran an STi with my FTS and he walked away from me from a dead stop. Think about it for a second. They have 300hp and 300lb/ft of torque, weight over 1000 pounds LESS than our Fleetwoods, run mid-13 sec. 1/4 miles, and 5 second flat 0-60's. Now you tell me why he didn't blow you into the weeds.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L
203 Posts
Before the '06 they did not have 300/300. From a stop, AWD would dominate you. From a roll, awd would dominate him. It's believeable, specially if the LT1 has anything done to it.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Mahalaleel said:
Before the '06 they did not have 300/300. From a stop, AWD would dominate you. From a roll, awd would dominate him. It's believeable, specially if the LT1 has anything done to it.
As quoted from a recent edition of Road and Track:

"There have been no power changes to the STI's aluminum powerplant, which still boasts an impressive 300 bhp at 6000 rpm with 300 lb.-ft. of torque, more than you ever really need on a daily basis anyway."

The laws of physics don't change to suit anybody's ego. The STi will flat SMOKE even a lightly modified LT1-powered Fleetwood. Believe me, I know, I raced one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hmm I thought 300/300 was unique to the next model year...

From a roll, a modified LT1 could keep up. AWD contributes drag, and the LT1 can easily produce more than 300 horsepower.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Mahalaleel said:

From a roll, a modified LT1 could keep up. AWD contributes drag, and the LT1 can easily produce more than 300 horsepower.
I agree. An LT1 CAN produce more than 300hp. In a mildly modded Fleetwood (just bolt-ons), I'd figure somewhere around 325hp maybe. But then figure the rest of the sloppy drivetrain, more than a 1000 pounds in extra weight, and the fact that the standard LT1 in the B & D body cars is NOT a top-end runner, and you have the reason why I said the STi will romp all over the Fleetwood. You're kidding yourself if you think it won't.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
ahh do the easy thing get a vette with an lt1 majorly modified with NOS, supercharger, blower, pulley kit, chip, programmer and aint no way in hell that STi is beating that LT1 lol sorry couldnt resist.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Katshot said:
I'm glad you had some fun with him but this is DEFINATELY another case of a guy that can't drive his car. I ran an STi with my FTS and he walked away from me from a dead stop. Think about it for a second. They have 300hp and 300lb/ft of torque, weight over 1000 pounds LESS than our Fleetwoods, run mid-13 sec. 1/4 miles, and 5 second flat 0-60's. Now you tell me why he didn't blow you into the weeds.
Mid 13's? lol.....guys in stock trim have broken into the 12's. The new STI's are even faster since they added a new vacuum system for the turbo for pretty much next to no turbo lag *trust me I've driven one* and that car was scary fast! But if you eat Hemi Ram's for lunch then ummmm.......an STI would eat Hemi Ram's up and have it digested and be crapping it out in the time you ate a Hemi Ram in your Fleetwood

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Mahalaleel said:

Hell even if a Fleetwood could beat an STI from a roll once it hits 108 mph its all over:xgrin:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lol

The brand new STI's from motor trend were 13.0 seconds, and I'm sure with practice could go mid-high 12's.

My dad may get one for his winter driving. Then I'll have to...borrow...it...as often as possible.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Mahalaleel said:
Lol

The brand new STI's from motor trend were 13.0 seconds, and I'm sure with practice could go mid-high 12's.

My dad may get one for his winter driving. Then I'll have to...borrow...it...as often as possible.
A buddy of mine took his new STI to the track and his first run he ran a 12.6. He said he was happy and then went home

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Boy, I hope I get the chance to join the LT1 club soon...:cool:

Until then, shocking the hell out of people in the '93 TBI will have to do...like yesterday when someone in a mid 90's Dodge Stealth passed me on a 2-lane and, to keep him busy, I gave it some juice and stayed right on his arse the rest of the way at well over the speed limit. With, by the way, PLENTY of pedal left to go...:cool2:

The "Torquey Turbine" (my new, descriptive name for the '93) lives on, especially when it comes to high speed cruising!;)

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, but I have 100 lbs of tools on the extreme right rear of my trunk and he is able easily over power his tires (all 4) on the pavement we were on (cold 10 degree pavement, damp). I had more advantage than he... Like I said, he didn't expect near as much of a fight.

Look at an LT1 power curve (torque and HP) and compare it to a STi, the LT1 has much more area under the curve. Do the latest magazine craze and calculate the average power between 2000 and 5500 rpm or what ever the graphs have common in rpm range. Bet the LT1 doesn't look bad at all with less hp.

Trust me, I know turbos, love em, and when I can, I will turbo my LT1 (well, a rebuilt short block, not stock one, too fragile)

Yes, I know all about power to weight, the Bru does well, and is to be respected.

The STi's with minor mods with a good driver will make 12.99 down the 1/4 mile. According to Car Craft or Hot Rod when they compared a SC Mustang GT and a STi and the STi was slightly quicker to the 1/4 mile end, but the SC Mustang was running 9 mph faster. That was still only 100 mph for the STi, so it was dying off at the top end and the Mustang was powering on lilke no tomorrow. I'll dig up the magazine for some actual details not my fractured memory....

Either way, I now have a goal to beat!!

Katshot said:

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some would call it Stupid fast. I call it getting decent. But needs more power....

Me? I think a LT1 Turbo in a Fiero is more like it....

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
a stealth sightly modded would destroy you
A Twin Turbo Stealth R/T, yes, would kill him. If it was a Stealth ES with the 160hp SOHC 3.0 or the Stealth R/T with the 222hp DOHC 3.0, The LT1 FWB should win.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts