Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know. I've seen it said before - the Fleetwood Brougham with the LT1 has great power down low.. It certainly does.. But why is it so weak up top?

My Vette had the L98 - which was well-known for it's amazing torque down low - but then the engine ran out of breath up high due to intake.. The later models with the LT1 weren't quite as strong down low - but were really GREAT up top.. Why is it so different with the Fleetwood Brougham?

I know our cars have 35 less horsepower.. Is it the intake that totally kills things up top? It's crazy-powerful down low...

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
You gotta remember that your car also has different rear gears and shift points and programming. Also much heavier than the Vette or even the F-body cars. Change the exhaust, gears, shift points, and try and find a good chip and it should really wake her up.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Yes... The cams are also somewhat different......

I dont think you'd wanna do many mods to make the power higher up.. Whenever you increase your HIGH RPM power, you decrease (to a certain degree) your low end power..... Low end power also seems to be harder to get than high end power.....

It really is crazy powerful.... Ive never seen a car that size do a smoking burnout flying sideways down the road...... ITS WONDERFUL!!!

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm just going to leave it alone. I don't have the extra cash for mods anyway. Still, it WOULD be nice to have good pickup at high speeds. If I want to get over into the next lane on the highway - and somebody DOESN'T want me to get over, I have to obey...

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
3.73's out back would make a huge difference, from the stockers.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Get one of those cold air intake boxes. You will lose a little down low, and you will notice more engine noise, but it will help. It might even improve your mileage a little bit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
When you say top end power is low, what exactly do you mean..?

The LT1 in a brougham should rev out pretty darn well and has on every one I have driven from cheap F-Body to Corvette to Brougham/Road/Cap/Imp. Make sure your airfilter is clean, your fuel filter is not limiting fuel flow and you have good gas in the car. Low octane can result in timing retarding giving top end power loss. If you are refering to top speed, you know your car is limited to roughly 108MPH... It shuts off and hangs there... You cannot go any faster without a mod, as this is unfortunatly one of those "cheap tire" deals and the car is limited to the tires. "PC" cars.... I hate this....

I saw the 3:73 gear option mentioned.... I have 3:73's two different 94-96 cars and have tested them many times in every arena.... One was a 96 SS, the other a 9C1. This is the biggest mistake in performance I did as it slowed the car down in every arena including 1/4 mile. Now if you go and throw some drag radial's on the car, the gears will help you in a 1320 and shut it down race, but thats it. These are not race cars, so why limit yourself to running drag radials and hurting the car everwhere else. 3:07's seem to be the magic trick on the 26.5-27" tall tires that the broughms/roads/caprice/impala need to keep a proper ride and look. Unfortunatly the Broughams are 2:93, but not too far off from 3:07 and really not worth the effort to change.

Check your car as that engine should pull hard to over 5000 RPM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts