Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
fleetwood 1972
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy guys,

I am restoring a 1972 fleetwood cadillac in france.
I disassembled the front train whithout difficults but now I'm trying to re-assemble and it is more complex...

So, i bought a spring compressor like this :
11286609_10205704160794784_1279581883_o.jpg
11066753_10205704174075116_74068727_o.jpg

It is a 3 parts compressor. These parts need to be grip on the external side of the spring, but the car body in the red circle obstruct the spring passage.

Do you have tips for me ?
I thinked made a custom spring compressor like this :
Sans titre.jpg
with a set screw (high diameter like 1" (25,4mm) )with a high grade like 8 or more.

hope you have tips for me !

thanks

·
Registered
1970 Deville Convertible
309 Posts
I think the tool you currently have will work on rear springs, but not on front springs. You need an internal type spring compressor, like this one: http://www.eastwood.com/coilspring-compressor-internal.html?fee=7&fep=95&adpos=1o2&creative=61491486660&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&SRCCODE=GA220010&gclid=CPvv3uLB8sUCFQyqaQodsqgANA

----------

Coil springs are not to be taken lightly, get the right tool. An internal spring compressor will be out of the way when you're installing the springs. Be careful when installing them. Lots of stored energy when compressed.

----------

http://www.eastwood.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/412x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p520.jpg

·
Registered
2003 Deville base, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest......well....
492 Posts
The compressor you got is for struts, the link that chrisntam provided is the correct one. A local auto parts store might have one for you to rent/loan. Is your trouble just trying to compress it with room to install it? If so, that tool shown in the post above will take care of you. Just make sure the lower control arm has its bolt in, and properly set the coil in upper/lower control arm if you use a jack to help you, have it forward away from under control arm but not under the brakes.

·
Registered
fleetwood 1972
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your reply.

I will buy the good tool. But Are you sure the diameter is OK for this tool ? because description don't talk about that.
I asked a ebay vendor which doesn't know about the max diameter.

By !

·
Registered
1970 Deville Convertible
309 Posts
Be sure to buy a good quality compressor. I would get on the manufacturer's website to make sure their tool will fit your springs. KD Tools 3450 shows it will accept springs with a maximum diameter of 5 & 5/8 inches and will hold wire diameter of 3/4 inch.

Just suggest you double check that the tool you purchase is what you need.

chris.

·
Registered
fleetwood 1972
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello guys,

I was able to mount the spring without difficulties... I read carefuly the shop manual wich say to use a jack under the lower hand. The spring was able to compress it self with that. It was a little difficult to align the tie strut, but with help, all is in place now.

I will open a thread to share my restoration with you.

Thank you for your answers !

·
Registered
1977 Eldorado, 1973 Sedan DeVille
52 Posts
I had to use an internal spring compressor tool on my 73 DeVille and it worked like a charm. Because of the angle of the lower arm, I could not just compress it with a jack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts