Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Escalade, 2006 Cadillac CTS
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was going to work on Sunday morning as I had a flight from Sanford to Jacksonville at 7 am. I live in Southwest Orlando so it is roughly a 40 mile trip one way to the Airport... Nobody on the road on Sunday morning and my cop friends were still ordering doughnuts. I reached a nice stretch of highway and felt the need for speed... at 95 mph my DIC showed an alarm to check tire pressure, and the tire pressure alert symbol illuminated on my panel... Right Rear Tire down to 29 psi... and going down. I never felt it, My CTS is a 2006 with the 18" Wheel Performance Package (but not the sports appearance package). I could not belive it and as I slowed down my exit from the toll road came up. I exited, cleared the booth and opened the window... no noise! another 1/8th of a mile and I decided to stop at the gas station to check it...

My Right Rear tire was getting flat and leaking badly. I did not have time for anything but to change the tire myself. Easy to do with the kit provided. I then drove to the airport and got on my flight. I had to wait untill Monday to get it fixed and the nearest place to do that was a "Discount Tire Outlet" and they generally do it for free.

Here comes the probelm and apologies for the long thread... They asked me if I had run the tire flat...and my answer was just enought ot slow down and then 1/4 mile.... the tire pressure monitor sensor was broken!

They fixed the tire and put a regular valve on it... I then went to my dealership and got my sevice guy to take a look on it... according to him I shouldn't have the tire fixed anywhere... running with the tire flat was not the reason the sensor broke, but the tire dismount tool used by the tire repair shop had broken it... 183 dollars later I had my tire pressure monitor replaced and the computer reprogrammed... SO if you get a flat... better drive with the spare and get the tire fixed at the dealership....:helpless:... Who's lying?!?!?!

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
You have the tire pressure monitoring and run flat tires? Then all I have read is to take it to the dealer or to the tire manufacturer. You have runflat tires AND a spare? I didn't think the runflats even came with a spare?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jteolis said:
You have the tire pressure monitoring and run flat tires? Then all I have read is to take it to the dealer or to the tire manufacturer. You have runflat tires AND a spare? I didn't think the runflats even came with a spare?
No I don't have run flat tires... the O6 CTS with the 18" wheel performance package comes with Bridgestone Potenza Tires and a temporary spare.

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
OK, got it, I figured if it had TPM then it would have runflats! Sorry, my bad. Anyway, I'd take the reciept to the tire repair place and tell them to cough it up, sounds like they f-ed it up. You may not have any luck, but if its broken, someone must have done it.

One question: What was the cause of the flat? Was there a hole in the tire??

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jteolis said:
OK, got it, I figured if it had TPM then it would have runflats! Sorry, my bad. Anyway, I'd take the reciept to the tire repair place and tell them to cough it up, sounds like they f-ed it up. You may not have any luck, but if its broken, someone must have done it.

One question: What was the cause of the flat? Was there a hole in the tire??
Yes, there was a puncture hole inside the groove. That was an easy fix. This car is really stable at fast speeds... The tire got punctured at 95mph and I would not have noticed it if it wasn't for the TPM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts