Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Fleetwood Brougham and '14 ELR
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that spring has sprung it's time for me to get started making the Fleetwood presentable. Until yesterday I hadn't given him a single bath. *hides his face*

Here he is in January after driving him home from Bahstin:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/dbeasst/Fleetwood/red95fwb-1.jpg
You can see the clear coat failure pretty well on the hood. The rest of the paint is tired but still shines.

Last month he went in to the body shop to have the front clip repainted. Was ready last Tuesday and the flurry of cleaning and pending mods began.

After paint (and a wash/wax last night):

Mods 1 and 2.
Climate control unit from Buick Roadmaster and a Kenwood double DIN head unit with Garmin nav.

First road trip this weekend and the mods/updates will continue when I return!

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
sweet! I wanted to put in one of those in-dash navs in mine but they were a little over my budget at the time!

looks good in there

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Good job, you also replaced your A/C with Buick Roadmaster's .

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, yeah the OE climate unit is a little annoying. Still need to tweak the bracket a little. That gap at the bottom will bug me, I know it. :)

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
Is your Buick climate control a lot brighter than the other stock, Cadillac illumination? That's the only thing that bugs me about mine. It dims as it should, but it's always brighter than everything else.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know I don't think I noticed. If it is, it's not so much more that I thought anything of it anyway. I'll have to make sure to look at that when I drive it later this week.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It gives you more control over where the air blows from I believe...
Exactly. The Roady unit lets you use full Auto (like the OE Caddy unit) or fully manual and just about anything in between.

Though... I do miss the cool chrome trimmed buttons on the Caddy unit.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 94 Fleetwood Brougham, 02 Escalade
63 Posts
Exactly. The Roady unit lets you use full Auto (like the OE Caddy unit) or fully manual and just about anything in between.

Though... I do miss the cool chrome trimmed buttons on the Caddy unit.
That's a sweet looking Fleetwood you got there, real nice. I have seen a picture where someone had transfered the Fleetwoods buttons, at least some of them over to the Buick unit. Maybe it was someone on here?

·
Registered
94 FWB 'Blue Devil' , 95 FWB 'Black Beauty'
182 Posts
Wonderful post... I've had the Roady climate control AND a Kenwood Double Din (though not as new or as nice as yours).

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
That's a sweet looking Fleetwood you got there, real nice. I have seen a picture where someone had transfered the Fleetwoods buttons, at least some of them over to the Buick unit. Maybe it was someone on here?
Yeah, I did that. It was another member that gave me the idea, though. You can't swap them all over, but you can swap the big ones.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I did that. It was another member that gave me the idea, though. You can't swap them all over, but you can swap the big ones.
I tried it on my previous Fleetwood too. Just looked odd to me having half 'chrome' buttons with white back light and half non chrome with green back light.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE, You need a climate control unit from a 94-96 Roadmaster, the 91-93 unit was different though I've never tried to see if it will work. I don't know if other cars used the same unit, maybe another Buick used it too? Dunno. The wiring is plug and play, makes me wonder why they didn't just make chrome buttons for it and use the same unit in the Caddy. You do have to fabricate a mounting bracket and mod the Buick unit to fit but it's not hard. The shiny silver metal you see in the picture is the bracket I made from a piece of sheet metal.

Thanks for the complements! Lots more work to come as time/money permit. At this moment he's all loaded up for a road trip south this weekend, woot!

·
Registered
1986 Fleetwood Brougham
131 Posts
The NAVI/radio head unit fit in there so well that it could pass for factory original. I usually hate any kind of aftermarket radio in an old car. Very well done. Also quite brave of you to paint just the front clip although that's what I've done to avoid repainting a whole car where the rest of it is original paint. Usually the shop will complain about having to match the new color to the old and try to get you to repaint the whole car or at least blend. Hope you got a decent color match, the red is a great color on that bodystyle.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the delayed response. Here's the unit:
http://kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/eXcelon/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/DNX6990HD

I was concerned about the depth too but it fits perfectly. Got home from a trip yesterday, put almost a thousand miles on the car so got used to the unit. Nav and music work nicely, I like it a lot.

The NAVI/radio head unit fit in there so well that it could pass for factory original. I usually hate any kind of aftermarket radio in an old car. Very well done. Also quite brave of you to paint just the front clip although that's what I've done to avoid repainting a whole car where the rest of it is original paint. Usually the shop will complain about having to match the new color to the old and try to get you to repaint the whole car or at least blend. Hope you got a decent color match, the red is a great color on that bodystyle.
Sadly it's pretty obvious the color difference as I didn't ask them to blend the paint on purpose, knowing a full repaint will be needed. But the front clip is protected from rust now and looks great, heh. I am liking the red quite a bit though, I think it'll stay. :) Now... keep the vinyl top or loose it... LOL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts