Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
I understand wanting them to match! I can't see spending a bunch of money on a nice car and then have the front end look like crap because of mismatched headlights. Then it looks like it was wrecked because insurance companies have no problem replacing one headlight and leaving the dingy looking other.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey I need fo
FYI All,

I ended up completely dismantling my headlight and it looks amazing!!!

I removed the bumper, took out the headlight, took a heat gun to the edges, slowly pried up on it and removed the lens. Once I had the lens off I took a 3M headlight restoration sanding kit (i used the power drill adapter) and did both the inside and outside of the lens. I also took soap, water and a tooth brush and scrubbed both the original seal location around the whole headlight (the leak was coming from one of the top corners) as well as the ridges along the outside edge of the inside part of the lens itself. When taking the lens off, the chrome section of the headlight is essentially plastic welded to it, so you will need to heat and slowly snip that away. Have super glue available for when you put it back together though. I did notice when I took the side door off the headlight that whoever changed a bulb last put the cover back on but didnt make sure the gasket was in place properly so water very well could have been getting in back there as well, so I used gasket sealer on that as well. I put it all back together, put the front bumper back on and the result is a brand new headlight!!

To do all of this all I needed to buy was:
  • gasket sealer - $8
  • heat gun $20
  • tooth brush ( I used an old one of mine)
  • super glue $5
  • 3M headlight restoration kit - $15
The biggest pain was getting the bumper on and off by myself, I would recommend having 2 people help with this. If you have any questions feel free to a
The variable voltage sent by the dimming function of the auto high beams will damage your ballasts and likely you may only have one activate or it may flicker like a strobe lamp and trash your HID lamps.

If you pay attention to the auto high beam system with halogen lamps installed there are times when the system is unsure of the viability to use the highs so it will ramp the voltage up to fade the light in and in some cases ramp the voltage down to fade the light out.

It is likely that the increased output of HID highs will cause the system to disable the highs more frequently due to flashback/glare from street signs.

The ambient light sensor on the dash plays a very small role in the system (i.e. Is it dark enough to have headlights on is all it does). The main sensor to determine activation is the large box that hangs behind the mirror next to the lane departure camera and rain sensor cover.
hey I need to do this could you walk me through taking off the front bumper ? Thanks

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
659 Posts
I just discovered this after a car wash. Both used to be perfectly clear but now one of them has water drops all over the inside. I’m not sure I’m up to doing this myself.
503E1672-C932-4CA5-A61D-FD5C2722E5A8.jpeg
38AA45DF-EFC8-4E0A-8AF1-00A630DDA2C8.jpeg

·
Registered
06 STS V
61 Posts
That sucks, Ive been watching moisture getting to just the edge of the seals. only a matter of time till they leak. In the beginning of this thread their talking about using the standard STS lights and changing the guts or baking them apart and reconditioning. Both sound like a project. I think I also saw someplace where you can have this done. Sure would like to know what you end up doing when you get it figured out. Good Luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Honestly if you don’t want to do all that hassle you may just drill a tiny hole at the bottom so it can weep

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
659 Posts
Honestly if you don’t want to do all that hassle you may just drill a tiny hole at the bottom so it can weep
Water doesn’t pool up in the bottom of the module, it’s just condensation water bubbles on the lens.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Water doesn’t pool up in the bottom of the module, it’s just condensation water bubbles on the lens.
I feel ya it will start to puddle up a lil with evaporation if there is no way to weep it out or let a little air in I drilled a tiny baby hole you can’t notice but anytime I know I’ll be driving it in heavy rain I put a lil painters tape to cover it . Also If I know it’s gonna sleep overnight in the rain and I don’t have my cover with me or it’s not clean enough to put the cover on I just run a line of painters tape along the top bottom and left side where the seal is visible to the elements

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
659 Posts
Went to town today so I stopped in to the Caddy dealer to see what they had to say. Labor to do the replacement wasn’t bad, just 1.7 hours but the unit itself was over a grand! And they won’t repair it just replace it. I can see the black sealing strip around the outside of the plastic shell. Would it be possible to run a bead of clear silicone around the seal? Water has to come from the outer seal right? The one we can see that’s open to the elements?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well it depends I did that and it didn’t solve the issue that tells me it could be a crack above or just a bad seal on the housing you can try that ,but it won’t garuntee a fix and it might keep the moisture in longer if that wasn’t the area with a leak

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
659 Posts
Trying to see if the outer seal is leaking, the one I can see around the module from the outside, so I fired up my leaf blower and even with a concentrated air jet completely around the seal I couldn’t see even one water bubble move inside on the lens. Where can this moisture (just on the lens, not puddling in the bottom) be coming from? I’ve had plenty of car washes and even this time the driver side is perfectly dry so where can the moisture be coming from?

·
Registered
27 Posts
That’s a great question I asked myself that a lot I put a bead of silicon around the seal instead of opening it taking the old sealer out and re applying. And to my frustration the leak was from somewhere else and the extra silicon only held the moisture inside it for longer than when I did nothing. I’ve seen some folks say drill a tiny hole at the bottom so I did but with the winter temps it didn’t help too much I’m considering drilling another on the top of the housing because heat rises I think it would evaporate better from the top but it’s just a guessing game I’m going to do it because fuck it I already have a hole at the bottom I’ll leave it open for a couple of hot rainless days and hopefully it will clear out after that I plan to just tape sed hole every time I know it will storm and then let it dry out in the days after best thing I can think of other than new headlights

41 - 54 of 54 Posts