Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Sedan DeVille, 4.9, 4T60E
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first got my son’s 94 DeVille, we were told it wouldn’t shift out of first. After I test drove it I knew the issue...the speedometer was all over the place. So I get it home and in about 5 minutes of looking I find this

So I locate the exact pigtail in my tool box and replace it. I paid attention to make sure the wires were connected the same way the factory intended. While I was there I removed the sensor just to make sure it hadn’t been Contaminated by Clutch material or anything (not sure why it thought contaminated and clutch were proper nouns...🙄). It was clean so I put it back in. Well, now the car runs and drives smooth and is shifting as it should...BUT!

Now the speedometer nor the odometer works. It’s not even showing a reading for how many miles the car has. Also, the DIC isn’t working now so I can’t get into any diagnostic menus. I just went into it yesterday so I know I know how. All of this IPC crap began immediately after I fixed the VSS wiring. I’m wondering if the sensor is bad...

but I’m also wondering if his cluster randomly decided to die. Can anyone help shed some light on this? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be my guess.
But the confusing part is that the DIC area is blank from it, wouldn’t think it would have any bearing on that part...but we’ll try replacing it and see what happens there. Thank you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, another thing I find odd...why would the VSS sensor going bad cause it to show zero miles? I figured the car’s Odometer would still show its mileage but maybe not with it getting no information. I couldn’t even get into the service menu to see any kind of codes...holding “Off” and “warmer” worked yesterday but it won’t today

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,194 Posts
Ahh, that might be another story, but the timing is very suspicious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, the timing of it is throwing me off, I’m gonna look into it more. Found a good thread on here about troubleshooting them which I book marked and I’ll walk through those steps here soon

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
have you checked ALL the fuses?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, update. We have an intermittent issue. Today the cluster is fully back online and the speedometer worked flawlessly. So now I’m checking the grounds/verifying they are there, but I already notice I don’t see a “big grounding bracket” on the alternator, unless I’m missing it, so I will likely just add a ground strap there. Speaking of which, can anyone tell me where all the grounds are on this thing? Or do you have a manual which will show? I don’t wanna miss any.

I figure it’s either that or bad solder joints in the cluster (most likely). If it is bad solder joints, anyone know of a good repair service? I don’t solder, especially on intricate circuit boards...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, after doing some searching I realize I need to rephrase my “ground location” question...so here it is. “I need to know the location of every ground the IPC relies on to work properly”.
If I simply have those I can rule them out and proceed with having this cluster repaired

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
981 Posts
Also, check fuses and ground for the BCM. The BCM controls display for the hvac module and the dtc function. It'll shut down the ipc as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts