Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
None
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a '12 SRX Performance trim we've owned just over 4 years. It has been a reliable car, only 100k miles with interior and exterior in excellent shape. Well, the exterior was on excellent shape. Out oldest daughter had an incident in it about 3 weeks ago where she slid off a wet road and into a tree. The airbags did not go off. I knew the repairs would be several thousand dollars. The body shop determined around $8,800. The car is worth $15k retail, so the insurance is considering it a total loss.

As everyone knows, the prices of used vehicles is way up there. We'd be looking at $20k to find a comparable model as a replacement. We already owe on two other cars, we're not interested in having a third payment. Plus, we don't know the history of other cars as far as reliability and such. Looking at the pictures I have attached, what would you do? The bumper/nose cover, AC compressor, radiator, supports, and hood will have to be replaced. Fenders are undamaged and no suspension damage. It drove fine taking it to the body shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
1,001 Posts
did they say what needed to be done? if the unibody "frame" got tweeked that an issue for sure , a chunk of the estimate is for paint also, as well as collision centers using new OEM parts ( for liability reasons) I say fix it yourself with junk yard parts,- you may get lucky and find the same color - do the AC later, you will also need a new condenser likely ....hell you could do the repairs and have the vehicle wrapped up front with some interesting pattern....

·
Registered
None
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did they say what needed to be done? if the unibody "frame" got tweeked that an issue for sure , a chunk of the estimate is for paint also, as well as collision centers using new OEM parts ( for liability reasons) I say fix it yourself with junk yard parts,- you may get lucky and find the same color - do the AC later, you will also need a new condenser likely ....hell you could do the repairs and have the vehicle wrapped up front with some interesting pattern....
They didn't say a thing about the unibody. They were more focused on the end caps (I'm assuming that's what's connected to the bumper bar) and the "structural integrity" of it's in another crash. My cousin is actually the adjuster and I'm going to see if I can get the detailed report from him and what they actually listed as needing repair.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
1,192 Posts
Unibody shouldn't be damaged in that collision, according to the pictures.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Lux
529 Posts
Let it go. Take the 15k from the ins company and get her a nice Accord of similar vintage. Make sure she is riding on good tires as well. The stock Latitudes were not good tires. (On the SRX)

Glad everyone was okay after the wreck.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
712 Posts
Well, kind of depends on your skills I reckon, but one plan would be to let the ins co total it out and then buy it back. You can prob find out beforehand how much the buy back would be. Then fix it yourself. At least change out the parts and then send it to the paint shop.

Or as was mentioned before you may be able to find parts of the right color. I've done that several times using: https://www.car-part.com It's literally saved me 100s if not 1000s in painting costs. The only downside is you may have to make a road trip to get the parts you need. It was worth a 3 hour round trip to me though to save a thousand bucks, fix it in an afternoon, and avoid the hassle of it being in the shop for several days.

I would get some more prices though. That quote seems awfully high to me.

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac SRX Luxury edition
30 Posts
Take the check. If you get it repaired, that car will nickel and dime you from now on. I can see a cascade of failures in your future.

·
Registered
2016 SRX Premium- Black on Black
117 Posts
The body shop determined around $8,800. The car is worth $15k retail, so the insurance is considering it a total loss.
Looking at the pictures I have attached, what would you do?
I would get with the insurance company and find out how much they are willing to payout for the loss minus the buy back on the vehicle.

For example; they value the loss at $15K but value the damaged vehicle at $3K so you keep the vehicle and $12K cash.

While you waiting on the insurance information I'd take the vehicle to at least 3 different shops and get a "cash" estimate for the repair. A cash estimate is generally lower than an insurance estimate.
You can certainly inquire about the use of "used parts" but that might not be an option with some shops.

Once you have the repair estimates and the final insurance payout then you'll need to decide how to proceed.
If the repair estimates are 30% or more less than the payout I would likely just fix the vehicle and bankroll the 30%.

If the payout is less than 30% of the repair cost, I'd take the full payout, let them salvage the vehicle and move on to something else..

Remember; a totaled vehicle will have a "branded" title and will be worth at least 30% less than the book value.
So if you fix it you'll likely need to keep it until it becomes unreliable then just get rid of it for whatever you can get for it.

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,476 Posts
Take the check. If you get it repaired, that car will nickel and dime you from now on. I can see a cascade of failures in your future.
Issues re: mechanics? Chassis? Electrics? I just never would have projected that based on those pics.

·
Registered
None
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would get with the insurance company and find out how much they are willing to payout for the loss minus the buy back on the vehicle.

For example; they value the loss at $15K but value the damaged vehicle at $3K so you keep the vehicle and $12K cash.

While you waiting on the insurance information I'd take the vehicle to at least 3 different shops and get a "cash" estimate for the repair. A cash estimate is generally lower than an insurance estimate.
You can certainly inquire about the use of "used parts" but that might not be an option with some shops.

Once you have the repair estimates and the final insurance payout then you'll need to decide how to proceed.
If the repair estimates are 30% or more less than the payout I would likely just fix the vehicle and bankroll the 30%.

If the payout is less than 30% of the repair cost, I'd take the full payout, let them salvage the vehicle and move on to something else..

Remember; a totaled vehicle will have a "branded" title and will be worth at least 30% less than the book value.
So if you fix it you'll likely need to keep it until it becomes unreliable then just get rid of it for whatever you can get for it.
They offered $14,800 as a total loss and $12,100 to be a salvaged title.

·
Registered
2013 Caddy SRX Luxury
373 Posts

·
Registered
None
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac Escalade, 2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT
56 Posts
I would keep it and fix it.. As someone that used to buy wrecked cars, fix them in a weekend, thats an easy fix. Most of your money was in those headlights really, and they dont appear damaged. That repair would take likely 4 days. 1 day for AC Recharge, 1 day disassembly, 1 day reassemble, and 1 day to do short trips to see if any smaller things pop up.

I would have no problem buying that one, and rebuilding it.

Depending on where you are, if you do decide to let the insurance company take it, I would consider buying it from you for the difference.

Reactions: The Mothership

·
Registered
None
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would keep it and fix it.. As someone that used to buy wrecked cars, fix them in a weekend, thats an easy fix. Most of your money was in those headlights really, and they dont appear damaged. That repair would take likely 4 days. 1 day for AC Recharge, 1 day disassembly, 1 day reassemble, and 1 day to do short trips to see if any smaller things pop up.

I would have no problem buying that one, and rebuilding it.

Depending on where you are, if you do decide to let the insurance company take it, I would consider buying it from you for the difference.
Thanks. We have finally decided to keep it and fix it. I have found a nice, used grille (with emblems) and am looking for a good, used bumper cover. I have some local people to contact about those. I appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
712 Posts
Well that means you'd end up with the vehicle back and $12 grand to play with. I'd definitely do that. Can only speak for myself but pretty sure I could get her fixed up looking like new for no more than half that much. Giving you a nice cushion for future probs if they arise. That course of action will like the other guy said most likely get your title branded as salvaged and will have some affect on the future selling price. In my experience though many if not most won't notice or care. Especially if you price it under market. BTW, it's not that hard to get a salvage brand removed.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
712 Posts
I'd just like to add that at least in the Chicago area there are very few SRXs in the boneyards. There are almost no SRX parts cars on craigslist. So I'd expect a bit of difficulty finding used parts for it. Ebay might be your best option. Good luck and other than maybe jacking the crap out of your ins rates, you're going to come out ahead on this one.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac Escalade, 2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT
56 Posts
Thanks. We have finally decided to keep it and fix it. I have found a nice, used grille (with emblems) and am looking for a good, used bumper cover. I have some local people to contact about those. I appreciate everyone's input.
Sounds like a man with a plan..

I would make one suggestion, it MAY be cheaper to buy an entire front clip from some parts yard. That would give you fenders, apron, radiator, condensor, grill, hood, headlights, and more.

The big catch is finding one with the options you have. Did it have the front parking sensors? If it didnt, thats a good thing, they are available, but they add to the cost, by a large margin. Same can be said for Fog Lights.

But I think you would be buying a LOT more than you need. But it may be cheaper, depending on your local yards. Gotta weigh out the pros and cons.

Edit: The upside to buying a front clip, if while taking it apart, you find you need parts, well you got them.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
712 Posts
Just a guess here, but I'd think a complete doghouse for an SRX would be worth big bucks. So I doubt if he'd come out ahead doing this unless he wanted to sell off the stuff he didn't need. Not a bad idea though, worth checking into.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts