Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to write this for a long time but I never remember. My '95 ETC had traction control and I never had a problem taking-off like I do with my '95 FWB... If I'm merging onto a major highway from a ramp - and it's rush-hour - it's nearly impossible unless I turn off traction control. If traction control is on, I hit the gas hard and just bog around doing 0-60 in what feels like 10 minutes..

So is this Fisher Price traction control? Or what?

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, the tires are good. It's the 'system', Like Kevin mentioned. I didn't realize the Northstar actually had to do with that. heh. Silly me.. Anyhow - it DOES make a huge difference.. Strangely enough, even my girlfriend's Volkswagen Passat feels pretty good - I guess technology as a whole is a bit lacking in the Fleetwood. BUT - that's part of the reason I bought it. Inexpensive maintenance.. So I shouldn't complain..

Thanks...

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
I know, I hate it too on our '93. I know the tires probably aren't the greatest for traction (though there's still a lot of tread left), but the TC just seems like a useless toy. It happens quite often when accelerating from a stop, even if I'm very lightly applying the gas. More often in the wet, too, but the stupid thing came on twice within a couple of seconds this morning and "shoved" my foot back (I hate that!!) as the car sounded as if it was on ice. However, I was on a bone dry road and barely hit the pedal.

The "archaic" ABS also sometimes annoys me. I know it's usual to feel some vibration or pulsing when it kicks in, but the system on this car shakes the whole car pretty violently if the wheel is going to lock up. Stops very short and quick though, so it doesn't anger me like the TC! Actually, I love the brakes on the Fleetwood. They're head and shoulders above the crap on our Avalanche (like pressing an old worn-out sponge to the floor with very little stopping power). The Caddy's are very strong and quick stopping, except for the annoying squeal it's had ever since the new "top-quality and most expensive" brake pads were installed by the mechanic. I think they may be ceramic, because there isn't that much dust but they always squeal!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts