Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
none yet
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a '07 CTS-V. Manual 6spd.Took her on a back road and punched her twice with the end result being a fish tail both times. Is there something either in the traction control or a possible mechanical issue that is causing the backend to fishtail? Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Wrong forum there buddy, but the answer to your question could be the 400 hp getting delivered to the rear wheels. Did you push the traction control button at all before driving? Normally the stability system catches the rear end before it actually kicks out.

·
Registered
Silver '05 V
1,238 Posts
Need more meat. There are many suspension aftermarket parts to help put the power to the road, do some searching. Did it feel like it was hopping at all?

·
Registered
07 Light Platinum CTS V (Valarie) 99 Pewter Trans Am (Jesse)
70 Posts
LOL if its stock it's more along the lines of 340 getting to the wheels LOL ( just had my stock 07 dynoed)

Mashing the gas down in any car will kick the rear out a little depending on the driver and the road. Run lats dont help any either. If i am rolling about 40ish and down shift and take off I spin but no fish tail that i have noticed or havent quickly corrected... Even from a stop and say 3500RPM launch i spin but no fish tail. there are a bunch of suspension places that build better stuff to help get the power to the ground but as i have found out almost all the these items are for 04-05 and some things will work on 06s but hardly anything test fit on a 07... would like to think that if it works on a 06 it would work on a 07 but who knows.

I absolutly hate the TC Stabililty system so I usually turn both off every time i get in the car.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V with 2 carseats in the back and a f'ing minivan
607 Posts
Same thing happened to me yesterday on a back road. You'll get used to it, its just a matter of throttle modulation to keep it smooth.

·
Registered
Cadillac
696 Posts
wider tires reduced fish tailing significantly....and im making more power than i used to.....but the hop is always there to bring you back to reality.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
457 Posts
wider tires reduced fish tailing significantly....and im making more power than i used to.....but the hop is always there to bring you back to reality.
I went with 265 tires and am still unable to avoid fish tailing and the Hop- well gave up on that concept. Just don't launch hard and enjoy the car with its rolling power. especially with the maggie in the front adding more weight in front and more torgue in the back = fish tailiing w/heavy foot :duck:

·
Registered
Cadillac
696 Posts
well ur maggied....im not....the wider tires (mine are 285) def helped.

why you only get 265....thats ur problem....i too would most likely fish tail with 265s

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
I was running the stock tire size on mine, and never had a problem with oversteering. Sounds like a case of being too abrupt with your power application, or you're romping the throttle while the steering wheel isn't straight.

One of the best mods you can do to a CTS-V is the "Driver Mod". Find a track day near you and get some instruction, and you'll be safer and have more fun with your new car.

·
Registered
05 Raven V
951 Posts
Just purchased a '07 CTS-V. Manual 6spd.Took her on a back road and punched her twice with the end result being a fish tail both times. Is there something either in the traction control or a possible mechanical issue that is causing the backend to fishtail? Thanks for your responses.
That would be the LS2 400 horsepower engine and user error causing the car to fishtail. ;)

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
why you only get 265....thats ur problem....i too would most likely fish tail with 265s
We have stock wheels so we don't have an option to go much wider. Plus these tires were 4 for $450 so they were hard to pass up. They're actually pretty sticky. Send me your CCWs and I will run 285's ;)

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
That would be the LS2 400 horsepower engine and user error causing the car to fishtail. ;)
good thing it wasn't the LS6 or he would have spun out!!

:burn:

driver mod FTW! after i did a few track days i understood my V much better

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
Hey guys, so I just bought a manual 6sp car with 400hp and when I floor it, it fishtails. What should I do? Please help ASAP!

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Wrong forum there buddy, but the answer to your question could be the 400 hp getting delivered to the rear wheels. Did you push the traction control button at all before driving? Normally the stability system catches the rear end before it actually kicks out.
Looks whose talking Mr 09v. Good to have you mingling with us commoners again.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
You start modding it until the fishtail becomes a full, involuntary, 360.
quote of the week ^^^^^^...I mean that is the point of guys and the illusion of controlling something that is out of control right...build it faster and harder to control

1 - 20 of 28 Posts