Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Black Diamond Sedan,2.55, cold air, ARH; 09 Z06
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading off to Lime Rock Park in Connecticut tomorrow, hit the track on Friday.
Did my pre track prep today, Royal purple for the diff, Flushed the brakes with fresh Dot 4 fluid and of course, an oil change, mobile 1 oil and filter.

Glad I went with the Fg2 shock package and F1 tires. I know a lot of people bitch about the F1's, and yes the tread life is short, but they do stick well in the dry. I look forward to running the car hard, but not too hard.

Any suggestions on tire pressures?

Too bad I will be the only V in my group of porches, Ferrari's and super charged Jags. I'll have to show them how some american muscle can run!

Next time we need to get some of the North East V's out in force!

I'll try to get some good photos to post.

Wish me luck all, should be a blast. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
I have had luck starting out with cold psi at 30-31 and depending on the ambient temperature (I have only run in CO and the temps were 85 and about 60, so you might have to start lower if your temps are going to be considerably higher than that) and the number of laps you will be running in a given session, your hot psi will get up to 39-40. If you are doing 20 minute sessions and running moderately hard you should be OK. You really probably want to keep the hot psi under 38. If you go over that you will be squealing and sliding all over the place.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tweeter81, I was thinking along the same lines, do you bias the fronts about 2 psi more than the rears?
I like your cars setup, must run sweet!

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
Thanks tweeter81, I was thinking along the same lines, do you bias the fronts about 2 psi more than the rears?
I like your cars setup, must run sweet!
I usually run about 1 psi more in the front, but I am no expert, so take that with a grain of salt. I have only had great luck with my setup and tires on the track, so maybe I'm doing something right.

Good luck and smack all those overpriced german autos around a little.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Heading off to Lime Rock Park in Connecticut tomorrow, hit the track on Friday.
Did my pre track prep today, Royal purple for the diff, Flushed the brakes with fresh Dot 4 fluid and of course, an oil change, mobile 1 oil and filter.

Glad I went with the Fg2 shock package and F1 tires. I know a lot of people bitch about the F1's, and yes the tread life is short, but they do stick well in the dry. I look forward to running the car hard, but not too hard.

Any suggestions on tire pressures?

Too bad I will be the only V in my group of porches, Ferrari's and super charged Jags. I'll have to show them how some american muscle can run!

Next time we need to get some of the North East V's out in force!

I'll try to get some good photos to post.

Wish me luck all, should be a blast. :thumbsup:
DUDE! What group are you running with? I was at VIR this weekend tracking the V for the first time in 2 years. And I've got the fever! Man I'd love to run anywhere right now! Figures I drive 750 miles to get to VIR. It would be a hop over to LRP from Boston...

I'd run about 33 cold and the track should get you up to 41-42 hot.

·
Registered
CTS-V
672 Posts
On my track tires (Hankook Z211) I run same pressures frotn and rear of 31PSI. Gives me just a bit of tire rollover in turns.

One suggestion, start off in competitive driving mode for a few sessions then turn it all off and have fun.

I was only passed by a track prepped 944 Turbo and a hugely modified Mustang (new one) at Putnam Park earleir thsi week. Admittedly both the drivers were MUCH better then me.

Have fun and be careful!

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had good results with 31 rear 33 front at an SCCA Solo Trials event last weekend. More pressure in the front seens to balance the car (less understear). With Falkens there is not much rollover at lower psi as the sidewalls are quite stiff.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
931 Posts
I'm sure you'll like Lime Rock. But the track is actually much better suited for cars like Porsches, Lotuses, S2000s, etc. Only one real straightaway and that's pretty short. After this, get yourself to Watkins Glen or one of Pocono's long courses. You'll be able to let the legs out on the V there.

Have fun.

·
Registered
(did) CTS-V
723 Posts
In the morning (cold) I had my pressures at 30 all around and after the first session they were up above 40, some flashing 42 and klaxons sounding. Has anyone played with Nitrogen? I always considered it snake oil for street use, but maybe it does help at the track... anyone?

·
Registered
2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.
1,576 Posts
There should be line or little triangles on the edge of your tire. They should roll to there on full force turns at proper pressure. Check them after each run. Run nitrogen for no pressure fluctuations.
Enjoy every moment. Especially knowing your car is a fraction of the cost of others that you will keep up with. Points for the tracker.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
There should be line or little triangles on the edge of your tire. They should roll to there on full force turns at proper pressure. Check them after each run. Run nitrogen for no pressure fluctuations.
Enjoy every moment. Especially knowing your car is a fraction of the cost of others that you will keep up with. Points for the tracker.
Or if you have Michelins, you have little Bibendums. Thanks to MWD for pointing that out to me! I spared the little tubbies and ran on Hoosiers instead.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DUDE! What group are you running with? I was at VIR this weekend tracking the V for the first time in 2 years. And I've got the fever! Man I'd love to run anywhere right now! Figures I drive 750 miles to get to VIR. It would be a hop over to LRP from Boston...

I'd run about 33 cold and the track should get you up to 41-42 hot.
This is a SCCA event, I got an in through a buddy of mine who works with an SCCA member. I tired to get a few more spots, but one was all I could get.

It would be a blast if we could get a few V's out for an event at one of the north east tracks, I heard that Watkins Glenn is the track best suited for the V.

Wish I had a few fellow V brothers running with me tomorrow.

Thanks to all with advise on tire pressures, you guys rock :thumbsup:

I'll check back after the event.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)
1,667 Posts
I drop my tire pressure before each session to 32 front/ 33 rear. A couple of years ago I had F1 Supercars on my Corvette and I would regularly push it to 100% of the tire limit (throttle steer). I know that when the F1's heat up to 36-37 they are perfect, any higher and I get off the track. The first time I tracked the V with the F1's on it I wasn't sure of the pressure to start with so I started with 34. Half way through the session, tracking out to an exit, I almost slid off the track (did drop two wheels off). They just would not hook up. I got off the track and I checked the pressure, 39 psi.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
Last weekend at VIR, I ran 26 RF, 28 LF, 27 RL, 28 RR. I did this because there were a lot more hard left handers, and that side seemed to heat up more. I'd end up right around 38-41 at the end of the session, depending how hard I was running, and the time of day. It was hot out 85+, 90+ on Sun.

I really need to do the white shoe polish trick, just to validate exactly how far I'm rolling over.

I have heard that with Falkens you should run a bit less, due to them getting greasy at higher pressure. 4000+ lbs doesn't seem to help either.

Admitedly I'm new to all this too. Sure is fun learning :thumbsup:

-Chris

·
Registered
06 CTS-V (sold)
680 Posts
Have fun! Lime Rock is a pretty fun track, but a little intimidating. Lots of corners you can oversteer into a spin... into a tire wall. Take it easy with your daily driver where the risk is high and be more aggressive where a spin won't hurt you.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
After I started using the shoe polish trick I found that I wasn't running enough pressure in the NT01's for ole fatty. First set I ran the shoulders out before the middle. I run upwards of 51 in the fronts and 48 in the rear. Disregard the (!) warnings and use the polish. Best is it's individual tire to tire/ track to track.

The Atom I run 18 in the front and 16 in the rears and only use polish from day 1.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts