Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towed my 8x20 H&H enclosed trailer with 2 motorcycles (it's set up for 4) on a 2K+ mile round trip this past weekend. I didn't get a chance to scale it but the trailer is rated @ 9900 pounds and I was no more than half of that...

The first couple of hundred miles were with one bike, and I thought the trailer was swaying quite a bit when getting passed by large vehicles. I figured that adding the other bike would help reduce the sway, but it actually seemed to increase it. I bumped up the tire pressure (stock 18s) to 40 PSI front and 44 PSI rear to reduce squirming, which I noticed on a previous shorter trip at the normal 32 PSI tire pressure setting.

I use a weight/load distributing hitch and had it leveled nearly perfect (less than an inch difference between the front and rear) and a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller which worked perfectly. It had no problem maintaining speed on the steepest hills or controlling the speed downhill, something my last tow vehicle (diesel Excursion) had a problem with. I kept it tow/haul mode the entire trip and it rarely downshifted more than one gear, but when it did it sounded pretty gnarly; now I'm sure I'm going with a "touring" as opposed to "sport" exhaust.

Mileage was about dead even @ 8 MPG with speeds up to 70 MPH. Could it use some more power, yeah sure, but the difference between this towing and my '03 Navigator was very noticeable. I'm definitely spoiled with the tow capability of my previous diesel, but even it wasn't perfect. If the majority of my vehicle use was towing I wouldn't be having this conversation; I'd still be on the diesel forums! The ESV was the almost perfect compromise between every day comfort and occasional tow duty.

What am I going to change? Swaybars for sure. Wheels; although the 22s are heavier I definitely noticed they helped with my Navigator when I got rid of the stock 18s. I'm sure the width and shorter sidewall helped. My old (7x14) v-nose trailer would likely significantly reduce sway and increase gas mileage so I'll likely pick up another one for those tow situations where less would be more...

More power would be nice. I've never been a huge fan/believer in stage I bolt ons (CAI/exhaust/tuner) in a gasser to make any significant difference when it comes to towing. I've been shopping superchargers here lately but seeing that EXT Duramax conversion in the last issue of Truckin' got me thinking...

Overall I'd give it a 7+ on a scale of 1-10. That's OK, before I dialed in my Excursion it was about the same, and ended up a solid 9 many $$$ later. What would be a 10? If I was towing full time or dang near it, a Dodge Ram Mega Cab dually would be perfect if you ask me, but not my wife...

NOW I have an excuse to mod...poor me... :crybaby:

·
Registered
07 EXT
165 Posts
I feel ya on the towing being a lil bad with the 18"s. I tow a 15' trailer with a bike/jet ski combo and with the 18"s (on long tirps)I can feel the trailer and truck sway a lil bit, but when I tow (around town) with my 26"s I dont feel the sway as much nor do I feel the trailer moving around behind me. Im sure when I lower it (2/3) and add some anti-sway bars that should help alot.

I think all that rubber on the 18"s make for more "Play" which is better for a softer ride but adds to the sway...

I towed(w/18"s) from Austin TX to Los Angeles CA (round trip) and got about 11MPG :suspect: ...which is funny because thats what I get when Im driving around town on the 26"s

I might have to use the same "excuse" on adding all these GOODIES for "OUR SAFETY" :lildevil:

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A correction on my post...

The article on the Duramax diesel converted EXT was in Diesel Power magazine (June 2009); not Truckin'. 800 HP, 1320 lb/ft torque and 24 MPG. They didn't say what it cost but I'm imagine that it's pricey...their H1/H2 diesel conversions run $35-52K and their custom conversions, like the Escalade, START at $50K...Check it out HERE.

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sway bars made a huge difference while towing for me, I like towing much better with my 18's, it just stops faster. :)
Your install review was the main reason why the sway bars are my next mod. As far as stopping faster is concerned, looks like an excellent reason to upgrade the brakes! Maybe the Baer EradiSpeed +1 rotors and a set of Hawk pads? I just need something that will fit under both 22s and 18s...

My wife 'bout punched me in the face when I mentioned the price of the diesel conversion...that one is gonna take some work. I suppose I could just supercharge it as a compromise... :halo:

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I am putting Baer Claws on my 09' front and back, you just can not run anything smaller than 20's with this upgrade.

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am putting Baer Claws on my 09' front and back, you just can not run anything smaller than 20's with this upgrade.
That's good info, just Baer's website blows goats. Using their application guide they don't even list the Escalade as a model option for '07...if I knew for sure that the ESV's brakes were matched to another Chevy/GMC truck; Suburban, Avalanche, Denali, etc., I'd check that but since I don't know it makes for a hard time giving them my business...I couldn't even find Baer Claws on their own website...am I missing something? :banghead:

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
That's good info, just Baer's website blows goats. Using their application guide they don't even list the Escalade as a model option for '07...if I knew for sure that the ESV's brakes were matched to another Chevy/GMC truck; Suburban, Avalanche, Denali, etc., I'd check that but since I don't know it makes for a hard time giving them my business...I couldn't even find Baer Claws on their own website...am I missing something? :banghead:
I agree it's the worst web site period. I just e-mailed my friend there and will post part numbers once I get them.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
174 Posts
Sway bars made a huge difference while towing for me, I like towing much better with my 18's, it just stops faster. :)
I put the Eibach sways on my ESV last week and towed with them for the first time on Sunday. BIG IMPROVEMENT. My trailer is heavy at right about the max weight and the thing is just much less nervous with the stiffer bars. It's not a subtle change.

Best $350 you'll spend.

I also noticed that the ESV is really sensitive to tongue weight. I had more sway than I was comfortable with the first time I towed and I moved the car a bit forward in the trailer to get more weight on the tongue and that helped a lot, too.

- Mark

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Hey Carl,

We can do it now, though we are really backed up in production. Any new orders currently are taking us 6 weeks. If that is ok the part numbers are:

Front Ext + 4301019 Racer $3,095.00
Rear Ext + 4302136 Racer $3,095.00

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put the Eibach sways on my ESV last week and towed with them for the first time on Sunday. BIG IMPROVEMENT. My trailer is heavy at right about the max weight and the thing is just much less nervous with the stiffer bars. It's not a subtle change.

Best $350 you'll spend.

I also noticed that the ESV is really sensitive to tongue weight. I had more sway than I was comfortable with the first time I towed and I moved the car a bit forward in the trailer to get more weight on the tongue and that helped a lot, too.

- Mark
Thanks for sharing your experience. I understand what you're saying about tongue weight, both my bikes were up front and there was little weight in back of the rearmost axle. I didn't get a chance to scale it, but I'm definitely gonna do that for the next trip. I'm also gonna pick up a tongue scale to make sure I'm dialed in as close as I can get to perfect. I'm glad I was solo on this trip since it was the first big one; nothing like some unsettled or nervous passengers to add stress on top of the swaying...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts