Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
05 cts-v maggied, 05 silverado, 73 mini cooper, 73 cj-5.....
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I spent the weekend cleaning and messing with our cars. I had never used clay before and man it's awesome. When claying the front of our 05 cts-v it sounded and felt like sandpaper. The hood and roof were no different. After the clay I made a full body pass with some light swirl remover and a finish coat of wax. I must say, I don't think I have ever felt a car with this smooth of paint. I will try to post pics if it ever stops sprinkling. On a side note, I did my 05 silverado work truck and it also looks stellar.

·
Registered
2010 Thunder Gray 6MT
2,122 Posts
I clay mine in the spring and fall with tons of zaino wax on top. Smooth as a babies behind!

Now post those pictures!

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
:postpics:

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
784 Posts
I have quite an ample supply of Zaino products right now...will take me a while to go through them :)

I might give gloss a try, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
1,786 Posts
Can't wait to see pics. I've got Friday off to detail my new V.
Me too and I just ordered $350 worth of new polishes/clay bars/buffer, to go with it! Can't wait have about 10 hours of detailing in front of me! Start with taking off the wheels...Am I obsessed?! :bonkers:

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
1,048 Posts
clar bar is the best.

I have yet to do the cadi, I plan on removing my wheels and doing the insides with it.

split the clay bar into 4 pieces and do each rim. it gets off all the brake and road scum off from the inside of the wheel that you cant normaly reach.

Realy looks good..

:cool2:

·
Registered
2010 Thunder Gray 6MT
2,122 Posts
clar bar is the best.

split the clay bar into 4 pieces and do each rim. it gets off all the brake and road scum off from the inside of the wheel that you cant normaly reach.
:cool2:
Good point!! That will be my winter project.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
784 Posts
Wouldn't that destroy the clay?

Then again the clay I have is pretty old...I could use it for that and get a new kit...

·
Registered
04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
1,786 Posts
Wouldn't that destroy the clay?

Then again the clay I have is pretty old...I could use it for that and get a new kit...
You should only be using the clay to do your car once anyhow then pitch. It works by picking up all the crap from your paint and if you are re-using it then you are scratching all that crap over your paint...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
784 Posts
I just keep it kneaded very well and never dropped it or had any problems with scratches...will try it on the wheels though...too bad Mr. Brembo will ruin all that work rather quickly.

·
Registered
Cadillac
263 Posts
If you seal your wheels with either wheel sealant/wheel wax, or paint sealant/wax; it will help repel some brake dust. Plus it makes it much easier to wash the remaining dust off. Claying is a good prep step before sealing.

I wouldn't say that clay is only good for one use. If you clay your car often, you could use the same clay several times because there is much less build up. If your claying your car for the first time in a long time (or claying really bad bumpers, side skirts, or wheels), then it could be spent after one use. Either way, once you keep seeing contaminants AFTER kneading, it's probably best to replace it.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V Stealth Gray
73 Posts
Me too and I just ordered $350 worth of new polishes/clay bars/buffer, to go with it! Can't wait have about 10 hours of detailing in front of me! Start with taking off the wheels...Am I obsessed?! :bonkers:
Don't sound obsessed to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts