Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here and will shortly become the owner of a 2000 STS.
Given I've never owned a Caddy before, I wonder if you current owners of the 2000 STS have had many major issues with the car?
I'm handing down my 1999 Nissan Maxima to my wife then daughter and I'm somewhat nervous about purchasing a car 5 years old with one problem in it's past history. The problem (if it is one) is that at around 44,000 miles the previous owner had the engine replaced under warrenty. I wonder if the entire motor had been replaced with a new motor or if they took some of the components from the old and put them on the new? The car has ~56,000 miles. 12,000 of those are on the new motor.
I can only hope that the same issue dosen't repeat itself. One other problem found with the car was the recessed well that hold the donut spare was full of water. The seller had the car sitting in the rain for 7 days. The seller say's he will have the car fixed before I take ownership. The trunk floor liner is soaked but I'm assuming this can be dried out without it smelling too bad.
Have any of you current owners ever had a problem with the trunk leaking? Bad trunk gasket? Leak thru the rear tail lamp assembly?
Normally I would pass on a car like this but I love the style & color of the car (pearl white) and the interior is clean wiith minimal wear showing on the front leather seats. Carpet is clean. (tan interior)
Another question, are the headlamps halogen or Xenon?
I look forward to hearing from you fellow 2000 STS owners
Thank's
Chuck

·
Registered
687 Posts
The leak in the trunk is the trunk gasket. Been a problem up to 2002 I believe. Im a proud owner of an 00' STS myself and love it! Xenon wasent an option untill 01' or 02'. Do you know why the engine was replaced? Do you know if the coolant's been changed? I dont really see a need for it since it was replaced not to long ago. Is there any kind of warranty?

MacK

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there Mac, thanks for the reply! I'm so fired up about this car! I just came back from putting down a deposite on the car and had a chance to meet the current owners. This car was taken care of. Always parked in a garage. They were not aware of the problem because the car was never in the weather very long. I learned that the motor had been totally replaced with a new one (saw the work order from the dealer). No other issues other than a brake job back in March of 04'. The rotors were turned and new pads all around.

You know, the seller was kicking himself for not asking more for the car, he indicated that he had several calls and was sort of hoping we didn't want it so he could jack up the original asking price. I guess I got lucky.

The engine block was cracked and detected during a flush of the coolant system. A loss of power was also indicated. Coolant was replaced. The only other problem was a failure in the drivers seat heater. This was repaired but now it seems the passenger seat heater is on it's way out.

I'm not aware of any existing warrenty left on the car but I do intend on asking the local dealer if extended warrenties are still available. I do know they are extending the warrenty on the new motor.

So, I have to wait a few more days until the seller takes care of the trunk leak. I 'll keep you all posted after I take ownership, perhaps I'll post a few pictures of my Caddy, wow, that sounds cool, my Caddy!!

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
878 Posts
If the replacement motor is a NEW one as opposed to a "recycled" one, and the price is attractive, you need to jump all over that deal. :yup:

Happy motoring,
Warren :thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello WarrenJ! The work invoice from the dealership indicated that it was indeed a new motor connected to the original tranny. I was concerned that they might have replaced the block and used the head off the old motor. This wasn't the case. The new motor has 12,000 miles on it! I feel as if I'm purchasing a new car!!
Question, my friends say that maintenance costs are high with this car. From your experience, do you find it costly to maintain your car?
Thanks for the reply!
Chuck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Properly maintained, the STS should not be any more expensive than a Honda, especially if you have the ability to do basic maintenance yourself. You'll find the dealer and shop prices to be a little high, but that's true with any car nowadays.

1) Northstars hold 7.5 qts of oil compared to the usual 5 with most other engines. If you pay for oil changes, this will cost you a little more.

2) Plugs and wires are usually good for about 100K miles. To replace them yourself with OEM parts will cost about $125-$140 depending on how hard you shop for a deal. Takes about an hour to do it yourself. Probably costs about $300 total to have someone do it for you.

3) Fuel filters cost about $6 and a monkey can replace one. Paying someone for this baffles me.

4) Fuel Pressure Regulators cost about $50 and take about 10 minutes to replace yourself if the need ever arises.

5) Brakes are pretty easy to work on. I replaced all of my rotors and pads for under $200 with mid-grade equipment. You could pay more or less depending on your taste. I'd say a mechanic would charge a few hundred more for labor and parts mark-up.

6) OEM replacement shocks and struts are extremely expensive. About $1,600 just for the parts, but the originals should last for 100K-120K miles. Add another $300-$400 for labor if you can't do it yourself. You can buy a complete set of passive Monroes for less than $160 if you're willing to give up the active suspension's responsiveness.

7) Maintain the coolant system!!! DexCool is great stuff and is good for five years or 100K miles. Err on the side of caution and change it a little before these intervals. Regularly ensure that there is adequate coolant in the overflow reservoir and you should be good. Headgasket failure is relatively rare, unless there has been a lack of coolant system maintenance or overheating. If the gaskets go on you, it will set you back about $3,000-$3,500 due to the fact that the entire engine cradle needs to be dropped and the heads must be timeserted. Take care of the cooling system, and it shouldn't be an issue for you.

8) If the car a has a sunroof, make sure the drain tubes are clear by checking every six months or so. Squirt water into the tubes with a poultry baster and check to see flow out of the wheel wells. As long as the tubes aren't clogged with debris, you shouldn't get water in the interior which could ruin Bose speakers and other electrical items you want to remain functional.

9) Do the Wide Open Throttle exercise a couple times per month. It's fun, works the engine the way it was intended, reduces oil consumption and generally results in longer, more efficient engine life.

This covers most of the common issues folks seem to have. Sounds like a decent deal. Good luck and welcome to the board...

·
Registered
263 Posts
cvol said:
I 'll keep you all posted after I take ownership, perhaps I'll post a few pictures of my Caddy, wow, that sounds cool, my Caddy!!

Thanks,
Chuck
That's what I said when I first bought mine... I still do. Congratulations on your first Caddy and welcome to the board and the familly. I have a pearl white 99 SLS with 52K miles. You'll enjoy the car, I'm sure of it. Make sure you put the pictures up soon so we can all see it. I'm going to put a bunch of pics of my Caddy on soon. I just bought some chrome pieces for the exterior that I'm throwing on later on today. After that, I'll put some pictures on as soon as I have a chance. Congrats again. -Mac

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey there SJ! Thanks for the through response! I will heed your advice.
I really want to thank all of you on this forum that have welcomed me into your homes. I'm pretty sure I'll have the car in hand by the end of the week.
I hope the current owner fixes the trunk leak properly. I offered to take it to the local dealership, but he declined and said he had someone who could do the job.
Curious, I read the car has a 425 watt BOSE stereo with a 12" sub, can anyone tell me where it is located? Rear deck ?

Thanks!
Chuck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Bose 5.1 system is sweeeeeet...

3 midrange/tweeters in the dash.
2 6" subwoofers in the front doors (leaking/clogged sunroof drains will kill these).
2 full range speakers in the rear doors.
1 12" sub mounted under the large grill in the rear parcel shelf

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She is MINE! Picked the car up night before last and all I can say is I'm in love! I hope I don't risk divorce from the wife as I have a new love in my life. The affair has only started, and I'm not keeping it a secret.
So, I have a blown tail lamp on the left side, can the lamp be replaced easily?
Also, does the steering wheel telescope on this car? There is a black toggle switch on the lower left hand side of the steering column, the tilt feature works but nothing happens toggling the rocker switch in the other direction.
I plan on detailing her this weekend, I got to dress her up and get her looking good before I post any pictures.
Be back soon!
Chuck

·
Registered
55 Posts
I owned 2000STS since Jan,2004.
Problem are:1) cranshaft sensor changed it cause the engine stall .
2) Both front heated seat not working
3) front engine mount
1,2,3, under warranty....Fixed.
4) Trunk water go in fixed by myself.
5) Steering wheel virbation (fixed ...by changing both front r
otors.)
If you can solve the above problem.This is a very good car,...enjoy!!!!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Wallace! How did you fix your trunk leak? The previous owner of the car said the leak occured because the trunk gasket closed against the cargo net.
Hmmm? I guess I'll keep an eye on the trunk. I is dried up now.
The seat heater (drivers side) was fixed prior to taking ownership of the car.
It appears this is a problem for many owners of our 2000 STS.
Is tail lamp replacement easy? Is the lamp accessed from the trunk side? I'm assuming you have to take off the liner to get at the tail light housing?
Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
753 Posts
A couple of thumbscrews is all it takes to change that bulb, I always do both sides to keep the lights balanced, they do come in packs of 2 anyhow.. Congrats!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi! If I tell you how to fix the problem may be you will think sound stupid! Ha Ha ha!!!
I taken out all the carpet padding and put the styro foam under and just let the water go down to the drain hole.On the rainy day or after I wash the car .Open the trunk check the carpet ...I can feel it is dry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello all! I finally found some time to spend with my STS and I have a few nagging issues.
My left front fog light is out, how do you get to the lamp to replace it? There is a plastic shroud covering the bottom front end of the car, does this need to be removed to access the light?
Trunk is still leaking, the previous owner said he had fixed it! Wasn't as much water in the trunk this time, the felt was soaked though. I suspect the leak is at the tail light housing. My outboard left tail lamp blew. (was ok when I picked up the car, it was rained on for a couple of days) I replaced the lamp and noted the socket had minor burn/scorch marks on it. Perhaps the water is finding it's way to the bulb an blowing it? I'm going to bring to the dealer and have them scope it out.
Telescope function on the steering wheel not working. I check the fuse block under rear seat and fuse is not blown. Will this be a costly repair?
I can live without this feature but it forces me to put my seat back most of the way. Any clues?
How do I locate the drain tubes on the moon roof? Do I need to drop the headliner? I just want to make sure they are flowing properly. I don't want my door speakers blown.

Thats it for now, I'm waiting for some better weather here before I wax and detail.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cvol,
Best of luck on the leaking trunk. I had an 86 Grand Marquis coupe that did that. You really have to watch out for rust with water in the trunk. Wouldn't take long to go through that thin metal.

It's a shame you're having problems with it already. And so it begins....

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I didn't want to say it at first, but from your first post the word "lemon" came to mind. Now more problems. I hope you get her sorted out and can enjoy her. It's not inherent to the car. My '99 STS has 70K and I've only replaced the FPR.
There are some threads on cleaning the drain tubes here BTW.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
A dealer should be able to reseal the trunk and stop the water leak. My 2000 STS had that problem and since then I've had no leaks.
My engine was replaced under warranty as well, at 44k miles due to a block defect in the year 2000 Northstars. Most likely that was the reason yours was replaced as well.
The fog lights are accessed by taking off that black plastic piece under the front of the car. There are about 10 small clips that must be removed, and a few of them are in the front of the wheel wells. From there you should see how to change the fog light bulbs easily!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the reply on my questions.
EcSTS, I'm happy with my STS, it is a used car so I fully anticipated some issues with the car. It is not a lemon! For what I paid for this car, I'll live with the problems and fix them.

Chuck

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
19 Participants
basscatt