Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Base
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had an affinity for these cars working on the as a GM technician and decided to buy one when i needed a daily driver car. I got my hands on a 05 CTS 3.6L Auto. I've been browsing around the forums doing research on a few things i immediately want to address, The first being the audio. I would like to replace the headunit, door speakers subwoofer with a dedicated amp. i don't mind loosing the DIC. would i be able to do this and keep the door chimes and key in switch dings cause im good for leaving my keys int he ignition lol. The next thing i want to address is the ride. my car has the FE1 suspension and its way to soft for my liking. I have a 97 Z28 Camaro for a weekend play toy and i'd like to get the CTS near that level of handling. I was thinking FE4 struts with mm mod, either eibachs or ground magnet springs, and addco sways. i also play to run ground force gf09 19x8.5/19x9.5 wheels with 245/35-19 front 275/30-19 rear tires....will that get me comparable to the camaro? Thanks everyone. pics added to show off :highfive:

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Base
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, if i replace the headunit will i need to use something like JL cleansweep between it and the factory amp? or should i just go with and aftermarket amp and wire a stand alone speaker in the center dash for it? I have the non bose system by the way i forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,339 Posts
I started off by just using the stock amp at first and it sounded ok. I just finally bypassed it all and it sounds 100% better

I can remember a member using the cleansweep and doing a detailed write up, you could probably search it and find it pretty easy

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Base
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i found the write up it was using a factory head unit and i think im going to go with an aftermarket double din. i found a thread that mention bypassing the amp all together and placing a speaker in the center dash just for door, key chimes and on star which sounds like a good idea. I also lucked up and found a wrecked 05 cts-v near me and i am picking up the struts, springs, and sways from it. I'm debating on the exhaust as well he's selling it for 150 but i feel like its too big for 3.6.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,339 Posts
I have the V exhaust on my 03, its not too big. many members do this. if you can find one that cheap, you should go with that. unless you want an aggressive sounding exhaust. but they always still sounds like a V6 on steroids in my opinion

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Base
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I originally planned to do a custom magnaflow with an x pipe, dual in/out muffler and two xl magnaflows out back. i could grab the exhaust for the cost and if im not happy upgrade from there but i do want a little sound just to put a big goofy grin on my face getting on the highway lol.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Base
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I would update this a little.... got bored the other day and peeled the plastic dip off the car the previous owner had done. This stuff was everywhere even the antenna was sprayed. There was so much of it I'm convinced the car may have been vinyl wrapped lol. Nevertheless the cts looks 10 times better without it. I also went and picked up some V struts, springs and sways all for 250 bucks :highfive: I'm picking up the V exhaust this Saturday I will probably have to section it to get it home though.

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury package
45 Posts
If you are looking for a radio that is plug and play, includes the PAC pieces to keep the door chimes, etc, check the classifieds. I have a JVC double din for sale there.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Base
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was wondering the same about what it sounds like under power. I haven't came across anyone else using the round mufflers as resonators yet or anybody runing a dual in/dual out muffler with dual mufflers out back. seems everybody goes with on or the other. i would think having the extra muffler(s) would help with the ricey honda sound

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Base
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i can agree josney. to me ricey equal raspy or bee's in a tin can sound. im trying to gain more of a european sound or that 300zx/350z kind of tone a more performance bred sound.

·
Registered
cts
17 Posts
X pipe or h pipes are useless instead I put 2 aftermarket "bullet "resonators on each pipe I didn't get to take pic yet of those on there

----------

The resonators are 2 inch which gave me back my little back pressure that a v6 needs

1 - 20 of 35 Posts