Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No pictures, but did take our new to us '12 CTS4 Coupe roundtrip about 250 miles in the mountains in a decent snow storm. Averaged 24 mpg (and that was getting after it when possible, and keeping the revs high for engine braking and avoid downshifting on icey uphills), plenty of room for two of us and all of ski/overnight stuff in the car. Impressive with stock tires, as at one point we were in a slush and snow covered lane passing 2 lanes of cute utes who were afraid to venture off the clear pavement. Chain laws were in affect for commercial vehicles, so reasonabley icey. Nav lead us astray looking for Starbucks a couple of times, but more than made up for it by warning of an impending closure on I-70 that allowed us to divert over to highway 6 just in time and avoid hours of waiting.

I definitely am impressed in the car for winter duty so far. I think the near even weight distrubution helps, as it does with my Chevy. May not be the best for breaking tracks out of the neighborhood after a big snow fall but certainly seems adequate for most driving. Oh and it's fast and great on fuel, so those are side benifeits.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
You're braver than me. I always take my Grand Cherokee when I head up to the hills in the winter. I'm glad to hear the CTS4 works well in the slop though. BTW, where did you put your skis, inside or do you have a roof rack?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inside. Rear seats folded. I ordered a trailer hitch so may look at a rack for that.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
21 Posts
My wife and I recently took our 2008 CTS4 snowboarding in Northern Michigan. I agree that they handle quite well in snow or ice, we had a little trouble in deeper snow becuase the car sits so low, but it handled Northern Michigan without a problem. the folding rear seats are great for a two person trip with all of your gear inside. That was one of the selling points for me when I purchased the CTS, my cars need to be able to carry a few snowboards and golf clubs in the summer.

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
I took my '10 CTS Wagon (RWD) up to Killington, VT a couple of weeks ago. It started snowing when we hit Albany and kept snowing for the rest of the weekend.

I must say, I was surprised at how well the car did in the snow. Road conditions were more icy/slushy than snow covered. I never felt the ABS kick in, which is good.

I also took the car on some of the dirt roads around Killington, and it did just fine. I only tried this because we used to take the same roads in my friend's 1990 T-Bird SC many years ago. I figured if that car could handle it, so could mine. I have OEM tires with around 23,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
2011 CTS coupe 6-speed
36 Posts
It's all down to tires...
The Continental "summer performance" tires on my CTS coupe just spin uselessly in the least bit of snow.
The Continental all season "DWS" tires on the other car work very well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ours has Michelins I think? They look pretty decent, better than the Goodyears that came on my'11 Ram1500 4x4 work truck. I have Duratracs on my Chevy, they work well but even the bald GSAs and bald Firestone stock tires did well on it. Nearly 7000 lb with just us and ski gear though so it has plenty of weight. The coupe would be around 4400 lb, so less load per tire and similar width. (I ran 235 fronts and 265 rears on the Chevy as well)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts