Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have owned the car for 2 months now and I love it. Great ride, enough power for what it is etc. So far I have noticed a couple of things. The first is a squeak from the steering shaft. It’s not very loud but annoying none the less. It squeeks when I turn the steering wheel when I am going very slow. No big deal since I would just have it fixed during the first oil change.

Problem number 2 is I just put a CD in the CD player as I have several times before. The only problem now is it won’t eject. I tried turning on and off the radio, turning on and off the car, changing tracks on the CD etc but it just wont eject when I hit eject. This is a little more annoying for me since I change CD's often and don’t want to wait another 5000km till the next oil change to get it fixed.

One last question... the car is a 2006 CTS 3.6L with the 5 speed select shift tranny. Does anyone with this combo find that sometimes when in drive and coming to a stop it hits hard when downshifting into 1st gear? It does not do it all the time and usually only within the first ten minutes of starting the car. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if it is a problem with my specific car.

Cheers, Jason

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
NTIMD8 said:
Well I have owned the car for 2 months now and I love it. Great ride, enough power for what it is etc. So far I have noticed a couple of things. The first is a squeak from the steering shaft. It’s not very loud but annoying none the less. It squeeks when I turn the steering wheel when I am going very slow. No big deal since I would just have it fixed during the first oil change.

Problem number 2 is I just put a CD in the CD player as I have several times before. The only problem now is it won’t eject. I tried turning on and off the radio, turning on and off the car, changing tracks on the CD etc but it just wont eject when I hit eject. This is a little more annoying for me since I change CD's often and don’t want to wait another 5000km till the next oil change to get it fixed.

One last question... the car is a 2006 CTS 3.6L with the 5 speed select shift tranny. Does anyone with this combo find that sometimes when in drive and coming to a stop it hits hard when downshifting into 1st gear? It does not do it all the time and usually only within the first ten minutes of starting the car. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if it is a problem with my specific car.

Cheers, Jason
Don't know about the squeak and the CD player. The shifting is due to engine braking. The performance shift algorithm is predicting that you will quickly accelerate or desire engine braking assistance so it downshifts to get ready for it. Make sure you aren't operating in sport mode and it won't do it. When you push the shifter into manual mode upon engine start, it will be in sport mode until you request an up or down shift. To get it back into normal shift mode, you need to push the shifter back into D.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the input. I realise it is downshifting but my point is it down shifts very hard. The car is in D not in Sport mode. When I am coming to a slow stop for a red light right before I stop it downshifts into first hard. It bangs into gear. It feels like a shift in a vehicle equiped with a shift kit (if you have ever had a car with a shift kit you know what I mean). It does not do this all the time but even the few times it has done this makes me wonder if it is normal.

·
Registered
275 Posts
NTIMD8 said:

Cheers, Jason
Yes, I noticed that too. It happened only a couple of times but I have only 300 miles on my 06 CTS. The car was in D and engine was warm.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Hmm...Sounds like it might not be an isolated case.
Maybe it's a bug in the new transmission control software. If this is the case, once Cadillac becomes aware of the problem, they will release an update.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I suspect its normal (well not normal but you know what I mean) for the new 5 speed Auto. Lets see if others have noticed it too.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
The squeek is just the brake sensor. It scratches the disk a bit while it 'feels' the brake disk. Nothing to worry about....

Do you have the 6 cd changer or just the single cd player?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
70eldo said:
The squeek is just the brake sensor. It scratches the disk a bit while it 'feels' the brake disk. Nothing to worry about....

Do you have the 6 cd changer or just the single cd player?
The squeek is actually coming from the joint in the sterring shaft under the hood.

The CD player is just a single disk base system.

Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
362 Posts
I also have a squeek comming from my steering column when I turn at low speeds or near stops. It's not that annoying for me so I just ignore it, it seems to be a common problem on many domestic cars I've driven in. I have no idea what it is though. The CD player is beyond me...the ejection motor??? As for the hard shifts, I noticed that on the demo CTS I had before I bought mine, the point right before you stop the shift down to first is quite abrupt... My girlfriend has a 02' Sebring coupe and that car also has the manual shift mode and has had rather abrupt shifts to first gear since day one.

I think it may have something to do with the design for when it's in manual mode; since you can shift from drive to manual at any time, the car always has to be in the appropriate gear, so I think that most Auto only cars dont even shift to first until the car is pretty much stopped; people that drive manual cars often shift to first gear before their car has come to a complete stop; so I think the tip tronic compensates for the fact that if you dont come to a complete stop, you do have the option of putting it into tip tronic and therefor to get any decent acceleration, it will need to be in first gear.

Just my analysis of this you guys....if you even understand what I just wrote!!:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts