Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I have been reading these forums for about a year or so since i got my cts. This is a great board, by far the best one i have come across. I know everyone here knows a lot about cars so I have a question. I am about to order the Volant CAI for my 3.6L cts. The cheapest i have found it is on ebay from a guy called racers dream for 165 with shipping. I have not done any other mods to the engine and am very curios about the noise of this intake. I could not find a audio clip anywhere. If somebody has some descriptions or audio clips i would love to hear them. Otherwise just any general helpful information would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Auto w/ Sport & Luxury Packages
555 Posts
Increase in noise from a Volant should be minimal because it is a closed system, unlike the K&N. One thing to note about ordering from Racers Dream is that they take orders and the unit ships from Volant. A few other users waited weeks for their CAI's to arrive from Volant. Racers Dream does not have actual stock, so you are at the mercy of Volant for delivery. Search past threads in the last three months for more info.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
:welcome5: yevi!! Quit that lurking and jump in!

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
I am actually interested in the sound of a K&N intake. Is it a good noise or a bad noise? Does it sound cool is what I am getting at. I might get one for my 2.8L.

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
I don't really care for the sound of the K&N myself. It's just annoying to me, not really anything cool about it IMO. It's kind of a mix between a sucking sound and a low pitched droaning sound. Not what I want my Caddy to sound like.

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely don't want to wait that long... I might purchase it from big3performance. As far as the noise, is it similar to say the infiniti exhaust or a mustang possibly. I do want a noise but i hear the k&n is too loud and sounds like the honda's which i do not want.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2003 CTS
74 Posts
I was looking into the CAI for a while and chose to get a new K&N as opposed to a Volant. I didn't like the looks of the Version of the Volant for 3.2

I installed the K&N yesterday. I got it off ebay from a vendor called autopartsway for $200.

As far as the sound, it makes what I call a "growl" on firm acceleration. I like it personally. I don't notice any added sound at cruising speed.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
the volant sounds great, and 165 is a good price.

you won't even notice the volant most of the time, but when you hit the gas hard you hear the engine roar up :)

·
Registered
2013 ATS
1,059 Posts

I LOVE MY K&N!!! I agree w/ Tracker, i love the sound, its only noticable during acceleration. No sound difference at highway speeds. It sounds "Balls-E" now. Who doesn't like there car to sound hard? :beavis: Others have said it doesn't sound like a cadillac... maybe so if a cadillac is supposed to be silent! K&N kicks ass!!

·
Registered
2006 3.6L Y43 Hotchkis Stage-1TVS-totaled, 13 Subaru WRX
3,518 Posts
Volant, no exhaust yet, Volant does not growl too much i hear the difference but it is not a wow, or a OMG its too much, like everyone says when u r on the throttle u know its in.

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
IMO there just isn't anything impressive about the sucking sound a CAI makes. If you want your car to sound "cool" when you're accelerating, change the exhaust. Of course it is a 6 cyl, so it's still not going to be anything too amazing. Would sound more "powerful" than a CAI though.

X

·
0 Posts
Lurking...what a great word. I have to admit I "lurked" for a while. Then hair started growing on my palms so I quit.

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
Lurking...what a great word. I have to admit I "lurked" for a while. Then hair started growing on my palms so I quit.
Troy, you need a vacation. :thepan:

:lol:

·
Registered
2003 Black CTS
119 Posts
sorry, hopefully no one minds that I am reviving an old thread... but my question is related.

I am also planning on buying a K&N intake for my '03 off of ebay. Do I want the 57 series or the 63 series? K&N's website shows that my car is compatable with the 57, however, on ebay most listed are the 63 (which the sellers claim fit an 03).

So which series do you K&N owners have installed? Will both fit?

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Cts
112 Posts
for you out there looking for sound on the K&N intake this is what it sounds like on my Caddy"3.2" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0Vrwuil8E
i myself was going to go for the Volant but decided not too because i think it sucks, produces less power, soounds like shit and just looks ugly
i would say go with the K&N if you want that mean car of yours to sound mean and if not then get the Volant.....

·
Registered
2003 Black CTS
119 Posts
for you out there looking for sound on the K&N intake this is what it sounds like on my Caddy"3.2" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0Vrwuil8E
i myself was going to go for the Volant but decided not too because i think it sucks, produces less power, soounds like shit and just looks ugly
i would say go with the K&N if you want that mean car of yours to sound mean and if not then get the Volant.....
that sounds nice :thumbsup: but does anyone know the series?

·
Registered
2003 Black CTS
119 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,091 Posts
Back in the day the kids used to take the top off the aircleaner for a meaner sound. They do the same thing in the car chase scenes in "B" movies. Since the increase in sound is all inside the car it's pretty juvenile. Most of the impartial comparative tests show a loss in power with an aftermarket intake.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts