Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
2006 STS V8, 1999 Seville STS
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2.73 carrier, and I have all the parts at my shop to do the 3.42 swap. There is only one thing I need: to figure out if there is a power commander out there that can change the rear gears only. I have a 2006 STS, so I believe this can be done from what I've read here. If not a power commander, or something like it, then I think I've read that 2006+ STS can be custom tuned. If that were the case, Id wait till my corsa exhaust and aftermarket air cleaner assembly are installed.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. I drove a 3.42 North* V8, and compared to my 2.73, the acceleration was MUCH better.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
What do you mean ...POWER COMMANDER?

Do you have an STS 4?

If you do, you will have to change BOTH differentials.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A power commander, the device that allows you to change rear end ratios, fuel/air mixture, etc. Plugs into the ECU and allows you to change settings. Also called DiabloSport Predator, or a flash tuner.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
A power commander, the device that allows you to change rear end ratios, fuel/air mixture, etc. Plugs into the ECU and allows you to change settings. Also called DiabloSport Predator, or a flash tuner.

OK...now I understand...I thought that was what you meant, but... :thumbsup:

Have you checked at Diablo Sport website to see if your STS is supported by them?

There are some threads in the Escalade section about Diablo Sport.
I know that EFILIve supports your 2007.
If you need info on tuning it... you may want to contact justin at BlackBearPerformance.com.
I don't know your location...but he travels all over the country doing live, hands on custom tunes.

You drive it...he tunes it while you drive.
That is what I had done to my DTS.

Texas Jim

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diablo Sport offers no models for the STS. I have a 2006. The Escalade uses a modified version of the LS2, which is why they make models for that.

Will EFILive work for a 2006 STS?

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Northstar V8. The production of my car is early 2006. Do you know if the tune includes provisions for different rear gear ratio?

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Yes...the gear ratio is adjustable in the tune...at least as far as I know.

I DON'T DO THE TUNES...to get accurate answers to your tuning questions... contact one of the tuners who actually DOES the tunes.

Thats what I did, then paid the guy to tune my car. :cloud9:

Jim

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who was your contact again? Do you have an email, or website?

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 RWD 1SF
56 Posts
I have the 3.23 gears on my 06 STS and wish I had the taller gears you already have. With the 5 spd auto, 60 mph is pushing 2K rpm and gas mileage seems to go down dramatically over 65. With a 6 spd, you'll probably be ok, but are you sure you want the push at the low end of the range? Just checking. Let me know if you know someone happy with that gearset and why if it's not too much trouble.

Thx.

·
Registered
07 STS V8 A6 06 GTO M6 (Vengenance Herd)
72 Posts
Or take it to anyone that tunes High Performance Corvettes, GTO's, or any LSX motors. Vengenance in Atlanta loves the STS and can make any changes...

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,907 Posts
I've been told that the 2006 STS V8 does not have the E67 PCM so EFI Live won't work. Better call them before spending $800 on something that isn't going to work.

The dealer can probably change the gear ratio in the computer for you.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been told that the 2006 STS V8 does not have the E67 PCM so EFI Live won't work. Better call them before spending $800 on something that isn't going to work.

The dealer can probably change the gear ratio in the computer for you.
Can anyone verify if this is correct or not? I've seen both yes and no by searching the forum.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The dealer cannot do this for you.
We don't have capability to edit things like that.
We could get an updated calibration from GM Techline for certain changes like that but it has to be "supported" meaning if it is an availalbe option they will custom make a calibration and download it to the database for our use. I think they charge $200-$500 for that but not sure.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Can anyone verify if this is correct or not? I've seen both yes and no by searching the forum.

"YOU" need to verify it...it is your car. :stirpot:

Have you contacted EFILIVE or BLACKBEAR either one?
I have posted BOTH of the links.

Just have your VIN ready and call or e-mail BOTH of them and see what THEY tell you.

I DON'T KNOW...first hand...I have a DTS, "NOT" an STS.
All "I" know is what is posted on EFILIVE's website.
It says "YES."

Texas Jim

·
Registered
none
627 Posts
"YOU" need to verify it...it is your car. :stirpot:

Have you contacted EFILIVE or BLACKBEAR either one?
I have posted BOTH of the links.

Just have your VIN ready and call or e-mail BOTH of them and see what THEY tell you.

I DON'T KNOW...first hand...I have a DTS, "NOT" an STS.
All "I" know is what is posted on EFILIVE's website.
It says "YES."

Texas Jim
I was about to say the same thing :thepan::hitstick::werd::yeah:

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Um, I have no problem doing that. However, i am not doing the swap today, so I figured maybe i'd ask to see if anyone on the forum knew before I call these places and waste their time until Im ready for the swap.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts