Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Previous:2005 Cadillac XLR; Current:2014 Cadillac CTS Coupe
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2014 Coupe new and get free oil changes with car. The free oil changes are based on the oil life indicator. I've always lived by the rule that the first oil change should be done very early in the life of the car. This was based on the fact that they used to use different oil in the car from the factory for break in. With synthetic oils I've been told this is not necessary. Knowing friction is the worst enemy of cars, especially when there may be particulates in it from a newly build engines, I'm still considering bringing it in for an early, cost for change paid by me. Seems a small price to pay if it makes sense.

Any other feelings on this matter, or wisdom from experience...

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
I'd stick with the Oil Life Monitor and free oil change, even though GM/Cadillac's recommended ACDelco Dexos1 engine oil is synthetic blend (not full-synthetic). Just ask dealer at what % oil life remaining will Cadillac Premium Care Maintenance allow first oil change?

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
The 4 free oil changes can be done anytime within the first 24 months although some dealers balk at doing that. They are not putting synthetic oil in engines anymore at the factory. They are using AC Delco dexos which is synthetic blend (cheaper for GM than Mobil 1). If you go to the dealer for your free oil change and request they use synthetic oil, they are going to charge you a hefty upgrade fee. A friend was charged $79.99 for the synthetic oil over and above the free oil change.

Buyer beware, the free oil change is a sucker deal to get you into the service dept so they can upsell you some other service. Granted not all dealers are like this BUT many are. All you are to the dealer is money in the bank.

People think of the service advisor (also called a service writer) as a mechanic but basically they are salesmen. They're even paid on commission. That means that the more work they convince you that your car needs, the more money that puts in their pockets.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
I'm of the old school. Purge that "break in" oil and get your new oil installed. I do my own oil changes anyway (and I have to do one tonight after work).

I have read both ways on this forum, so whatever you do will be okay in reality.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
Bastards. Imagine that, GM fleecing us for more money.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
GM Only recommends what makes them money. Look at this article from an Oil Industry Publication. Its shows GM motive behind dexos. Every time you buy a qt of oil with the dexos label on it, GM is making a royalty profit.

·
Registered
14,183 Posts
Yep, $0.36 per gallon.

And with additional markup, we the consumers are paying even more than that.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Wagon
14 Posts
I payed out of pocket for my first oil change @ 1000 miles on my 2014 V6 Wagon. The dealer told me they would change the [email protected]% oil life so I've been following that schedule since it's free.
I see no problem running a Synthetic blend, I hade a Mazda Tribute(Ford Escape) that I ran Synthetic blend in for almost 100,00 miles and had zero problems with.

·
Registered
CTS Coupe Performance Stick
1,013 Posts
I'm in the Sacramento area. So, I'm putting in a "plug" for Reliable Cadillac in Roseville. I bought my car through a broker who did NOT get it from Reliable. None-the-less, I've taken my Coupe to them for service from the get go. The service guys have been first rate; no sign of trying upsell or pull the wool manure.

First point: not all dealers are out to screw you.
Second point, if your in Sacto. area, Reliable is a solid dealer choice.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,262 Posts
I bought my 2014 Coupe new and get free oil changes with car. The free oil changes are based on the oil life indicator. I've always lived by the rule that the first oil change should be done very early in the life of the car. This was based on the fact that they used to use different oil in the car from the factory for break in. With synthetic oils I've been told this is not necessary. Knowing friction is the worst enemy of cars, especially when there may be particulates in it from a newly build engines, I'm still considering bringing it in for an early, cost for change paid by me. Seems a small price to pay if it makes sense.

Any other feelings on this matter, or wisdom from experience...
Stick with the oil monitor and timelines if you don't drive that many miles in a year. It's well thought out and tested. Too many people think GM is out to fleece or screw the customer. These oil change intervals are based on engineering test data, not opinions from wannabees and people 30 years out of date. I'm not a tree hugger, but why dump perfectly good oil into the environment.

·
Registered
14,183 Posts
Stick with the oil monitor and timelines if you don't drive that many miles in a year. It's well thought out and tested. Too many people think GM is out to fleece or screw the customer. These oil change intervals are based on engineering test data, not opinions from wannabees and people 30 years out of date. I'm not a tree hugger, but why dump perfectly good oil into the environment.
Unless you are a neanderthal, no one is going outside and dumping oil into the river.

(And I don't mean you next2pool on a personal basis).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts