Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, opener here:

I live in a very small town town in a rural area. In this town I am the Chief of Police. I am reluctant to post this story as some people may not be able to appreciate the humor for what it is, but here it goes.

I went to the city with the wife yesterday looking for a nice comfortable ride as any time we want to make a trip it is 100 miles to the nearest city. We had looked at a 2000 Seville STS locally, but didn't not pick it up because it had 180k miles on it. We found a nice 2000 STS that was the right price. Took it for a test drive, gave the throttle plenty of exercise, found some bumpy roads, worked the brakes, took it back and checked the codes. All clear but the u1016. Good enough for me. Gave the man the cash and headed home.

Now it is customary among the boys that anytime you are in a car that your fellow brethern will not recognize to give them something to start their heart on a slow night. I was sitting at home and the radio was just dead air. So, I thought what the heck. I had heard the other local car go out at the convenience store here in town so I jumped into the car and set up down the road. When I heard him clear from there and start to pull out heading in my direction, I looked around and it was all clear, not another car in sight. Now, if you are one of those that will post that I am irresponsible, should be fired, etc, stop reading here because I don't need your opinion and really don't care.

I drop her into drive, pull onto the roadway, and accelerate to 15 over the speed limit. Now this is at the edge of town, and if you have ever been in rural America, you know that once you hit the end of town there is nothing. I see his brake lights come on, he lights his car up like a Christmas tree, and he turns around on me. At this point I am headed up a large hill and I hammer it. I had no idea this car was this fast. Ford made a good motor with thier Interceptor design, but nothing like a Northstar. Once I crest the hill I shut her down, turn around and head back toward town. I am coming over the hill at the same time as he crests the top and pass each other.

As I stated, there was not another car in sight. I figured that he would not see tail lights once he got over the hill and shut her down and limp back to town like a wounded dog. I have my packset with me and hear no radio traffic from him. Parked at the bottom of the hill, I waited for him. Waited, and waited. Just as I am about to call him, I hear him on the radio telling a Sheriff's, reference the car he had called him about on the phone, the full description of the vehicle and that he had not caught up to it. I did not account for cellphones in my plan. Then I hear the officer in the next town in that direction, about 10 miles away, saying he copied direct and that 2 state cars were also on this this road looking for it. This produced the first stain on my leather driver seat.

I immediately headed to the house, shut it down, and went inside. I thought for sure that he would stop by to tell me the story, but he never did. The good about this is that every officer in the county were now awake and the radio traffic was alive. This was a public service on my part, or that is what I told myself.

Once again, This all occured in a very rural area. My car and his were the only on this stretch of roadway, and we are both professional drivers. I am not advocating in anyway that anyone reading this story try this. I am in a very unique position in life. If anyone else attempts this it could cost you your life or your freedom. Take this for what it is, a funny story that you may verbally repeat, but not physically repeat.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
985 Posts
I'm not sure how much of this story is fiction, but I did get a good laugh out of it! Did you fess up to your department? If so, what did they say?

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
Sounds almost hard to believe lol, but its nice to know there's still lawmen out there with a good heart of humor and not complete power driven a**holes. Most police I've ever encountered are good people.

Anyways welcome to forum glad to hear you enjoy the STS!!

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I can see how it is hard to believe, but I tell you it is true, for whatever that is worth from an anonymous internet poster. I called the officer this morning as I was going to drive over and show him my new car. He was however out of town today. He did tell me a story about one that got away and how he was up all night stewing over it. I didn't have the heart to tell him over the phone.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
oh come on you can tell what was it 100 110 115 120 -----150 ?
no one here knows who you are or where you are what city is yours so not personal info would be given

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I want to get the PCM tuned I have been looking for someone who tunes these but so far all i have heard is AJ and he from what i have read does not do it anymore for new customers
and i also remember jake said something about westers tuning but i thought it was for 2002 and and newer

anyone know whyll we on the topic for speed who can do this for my 2000 SLS ?

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,505 Posts
A 2000 STS has the speed limiter set to 130 unless the tire spec sticker on the driver's door has a tire speed rating of Z, in which case the vehicle speed limiter is set to 149+ (essentially unlimited, but the redline cutoff is about 6300 rpm IF it would ever get there in 4th.) My 2002.5 will scoot to 130 pretty quickly, and a neighbor Cadillac tech removed the speed limiter for me, last year, and the fastest the car has been to is 143 (GPS and speedo). If you're not running good tires with at least a V rating, don't try it.

Another way to get an idea of a car's speed limiter setting is to use the VIN to RPO Converter ^^^ up there. The tire RPO will also include the tire size and speed rating fitted to THAT car originally - BUT - you need to compare that to the door sticker; the RPO sometimes disagrees with the spec sticker.

Nobody is currently doing programming for the 2000 - 2004 Northstar PCM. AJ has done some work on a few, but it's generally on hold for the GPop, I believe. Wester's, in Canada, still lists the 2000+ PCM "tune" as "coming soon".

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
A 2000 STS has the speed limiter set to 130 unless the tire spec sticker on the driver's door has a tire speed rating of Z, in which case the vehicle speed limiter is set to 149+ (essentially unlimited, but the redline cutoff is about 6300 rpm IF it would ever get there in 4th.) My 2002.5 will scoot to 130 pretty quickly, and a neighbor Cadillac tech removed the speed limiter for me, last year, and the fastest the car has been to is 143 (GPS and speedo). If you're not running good tires with at least a V rating, don't try it.

Another way to get an idea of a car's speed limiter setting is to use the VIN to RPO Converter ^^^ up there. The tire RPO will also include the tire size and speed rating fitted to THAT car originally - BUT - you need to compare that to the door sticker; the RPO sometimes disagrees with the spec sticker.

Nobody is currently doing programming for the 2000 - 2004 Northstar PCM. AJ has done some work on a few, but it's generally on hold for the GPop, I believe. Wester's, in Canada, still lists the 2000+ PCM "tune" as "coming soon".
yeah i was thinking of shooter them a email or giving westers a call to see if they have anytuing
iv looked at there website a few times last year and did not see much updated
and i thout jake had mentioned they had a tune for the 2002 -03 sts but not the 2000 sts or sls

·
Administrator
74,505 Posts
Jake never said any such thing - he WAS looking for a 2002-2003 FWD VIN 9 Northstar car to use as a test mule, but I don't believe that ever came to pass.

You can call Wester's all you want - I believe that the 2000+ Northstar PCM work is on hold for the indefinite future.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Jake never said any such thing - he WAS looking for a 2002-2003 FWD VIN 9 Northstar care to use as a test mule, but I don't believe that ever came to pass.

You can call Wester's all you want - I believe that the 2000+ Northstar PCM work is on hold for the indefinite future.
ah ok guess i miss understood what i read somewhere

hmm

·
Administrator
74,505 Posts
Pup, For what it's worth, given the constant stream of problems you seem to have with your SLS, I seriously believe that for you to even attempt to remove your 112 mph limiter would be extremely dangerous.

Honestly, how often do you really drive over 90-100 mph and how long do you stay there ??? Are you physically, mentally, and experience trained to drive a vehicle at high speeds ?? Save your life and the lives of others: Forget it.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Sub i have driven Race Cars up to 190mph on hte Pocono Race way it was about 4 years ago my girlfiend at the time took me for the weekend to the pocono pallace couples resort on my Birthday and one of the packages they had included a day at the track to ride as a passanger at top speeds and also to be able to drive and go threw some testing
so i have been trained and do understand this

i also used to race go carts back when the original malibu tracks used to be around my father knew the owner of them and
they had the performance carts that could reach speeds of 63 mph
and i

also use to mess around iwth dirt bikes when i was really younger

I have the skill to know and be responsible and handle a vehicle at that speed

id say when im driving up 80- on my way to NYC i hit 90 mph for a good 5 mile streach here and there have been up to 105 and held it steady there a few times
when driving on 90 heading out to MN then Idaho at my dads place there
im a good driver i can handle a car at top speeds
i had my Mark VIII up to 148 once i speed limiter disabled
i used to drive it on the Norwalk track and just have fun in Norwalk ohio on the track with the Mark VIII when i used to have it
id say id want to be able to reach my limit id like to be able to her up to speeds and just mess around at times
id probably take her to the track every couple a weeks in the summer get some runs in but its not worth it for me to do that if all im going to do is hit 111 or 112 and shut off and all

im a little crazy but im not stupid i can handle a car at speeds that hi

1 - 20 of 64 Posts