Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my toy yesterday afternoon. 4WD Sport, Sandstone Metallic with everything except Onyx package. I was pleasantly surprised it only took 6 weeks from ordering to delivery! First impressions are good so far. I'm a stickler for quality, so I was a bit apprehensive about buying a GM, especially one in it's first year of production. But I must say, I haven't found anything to gripe about just yet. We'll see how things go as the miles accumulate.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do I! I would have gone for a Platinum if they had offered this color combination. I chose this over the massaging seats.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Just got my toy yesterday afternoon. 4WD Sport, Sandstone Metallic with everything except Onyx package. I was pleasantly surprised it only took 6 weeks from ordering to delivery! First impressions are good so far. I'm a stickler for quality, so I was a bit apprehensive about buying a GM, especially one in it's first year of production. But I must say, I haven't found anything to gripe about just yet. We'll see how things go as the miles accumulate. View attachment 598680 View attachment 598681
Nice ride congratulations. May I ask about the quality of sound proof inside?!
Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very quiet. Has acoustic glass and a lot of insulation.
Magnetic shocks are awesome and so is air ride
Handling/steering feel is fantastic
Braking is so-so
Yep, I would agree with all of that. Braking performance is no surprise, given the heft of the truck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the short. It’s not like terrible but significantly noticeable coming from an x4/x5 and requires a bit more distance between next car

·
Registered
39 Posts
What is it about the brakes that are undesirable?

Motor Trend tested a 2021 Regular length Sport, and reported 121 ft from 60, which was an improvement over the 2015, when they had it.

Car & Driver tested a 2020 X6 M50i, and saw 153 ft from 70.

I saw a post in another thread about a prior generation brake kit, and if it could be applied to the 2021, but there was no response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
What is it about the brakes that are undesirable?

Motor Trend tested a 2021 Regular length Sport, and reported 121 ft from 60, which was an improvement over the 2015, when they had it.

Car & Driver tested a 2020 X6 M50i, and saw 153 ft from 70.

I saw a post in another thread about a prior generation brake kit, and if it could be applied to the 2021, but there was no response.

My thoughts from my test drives: It more about how they feel and the amount of pressure needed to stop. They work fine, I am just used to big Brembo's on my other heavy SUVs (V10Tdi Touareg, Jeep SRT, Durango SRT, Audi SQ8.) The Escalade "Brake feel" is similar to what it feels like when I rent a truck from Home Depot. So... they just "feel" like truck brakes. Not a bad thing, and they work just fine (as you would expect truck brakes to work), but very different from other big heavy SUVs I have owned. This is why I am so interested in adding the big brake kit for my Escalade when it comes in. I am not sure it is going to make a huge difference in feel since the factory Brembo's seem to be smaller calipers then you normally see and they don't seem to be using Brembo rotors/pads. From the spy shots of the Escalade V it looks like they have a legit brake package. So maybe with a little luck we will be able to retrofit this on to non-V Escalades.

My other small nit... on more high end SUVs they give you nice aluminum brake/accel pedals. In some cases (Durango/Jeep SRT) it is just a cover that slips over the generic rubber pedal, but they still look great. It's a $10 part. Why GM decided that on their 100k+ SUV to not do a few more "little things" to separate it from the base tahoe is sort of beyond me. Every time I see the pedals on the Escalade I just sort of shake my head. Yes... a little thing that shouldn't really matter, but that's what set a $100k SUV apart from the much less expensive brothers... the little things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My thoughts from my test drives: It more about how they feel and the amount of pressure needed to stop. They work fine, I am just used to big Brembo's on my other heavy SUVs (V10Tdi Touareg, Jeep SRT, Durango SRT, Audi SQ8.) The Escalade "Brake feel" is similar to what it feels like when I rent a truck from Home Depot. So... they just "feel" like truck brakes. Not a bad thing, and they work just fine (as you would expect truck brakes to work), but very different from other big heavy SUVs I have owned. This is why I am so interested in adding the big brake kit for my Escalade when it comes in. I am not sure it is going to make a huge difference in feel since the factory Brembo's seem to be smaller calipers then you normally see and they don't seem to be using Brembo rotors/pads. From the spy shots of the Escalade V it looks like they have a legit brake package. So maybe with a little luck we will be able to retrofit this on to non-V Escalades.

My other small nit... on more high end SUVs they give you nice aluminum brake/accel pedals. In some cases (Durango/Jeep SRT) it is just a cover that slips over the generic rubber pedal, but they still look great. It's a $10 part. Why GM decided that on their 100k+ SUV to not do a few more "little things" to separate it from the base tahoe is sort of beyond me. Every time I see the pedals on the Escalade I just sort of shake my head. Yes... a little thing that shouldn't really matter, but that's what set a $100k SUV apart from the much less expensive brothers... the little things.
Thanks for your thoughts and comments. I couldn’t agree more with you on the pedals. When I had my Cayenne, I put a pair of covers on the pedals, and they looked awesome compared to the stock rubber.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts