Registered
2019 Cadillac CT6 PremLux replacing 2017 CT6#2, Replacing CT6#1
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Cadillac CT6 Premium Luxury
Stellar Black with Jet Black interior
Comfort and Technology Package
AWD 3.6L V6, 19” wheels with 10 speed transmission

I picked it up today and feel it necessary to report that the new 10 speed transmission appears to be flawless. I have not felt one shift on its first day on the road in a variety of driving conditions.

The odometer read 1.2 miles on this car that was ordered in early October 2018, so it took a while to get it built and delivered. These things are rare around here and very few dealers have them in stock. I'm not a fan of taking delivery in the middle of a northeast winter, but it was necessary to trade-out as soon as possible.

First impressions and comparisons to my 2017’s

Transmission performance is vastly superior to my previous CT6’s, each equipped with the 8L45 units.
CUE System has been tweaked and shows much more refinement. The rotary knob has a quality feel with detents when scrolling through lists.
Trim Level upgrades. In order to match the features in the 2017 Luxury level, it was necessary to go up to the Premium Luxury level and Comfort and Technology Package to lock in the rear camera mirror, head-up display and 12” gauge cluster, all which seem very much improved.
Ride quality seems to be much better than the trade-in with 8500 miles on it.
Front grill and rear decklid design changes look great. As I have said many times on this forum, the CT6 is an attractive sedan.

All of our needs are different, so that impacts our ordering priorities. These are the reasons that I locked in on the Premium Luxury trim level: Pavement around here in the northeast is not kind to 20” wheels so that was a definite no. Supercruise in this particular region and my driving habits, well, it wouldn’t be used much. Rear seat entertainment for absent back seat passengers would be somewhat wasteful. The 3.0TT isn’t a priority for me, as I have other cars that offer some g’s when throttling up, so the 3.6 is great.

Happy, relieved and content here and hoping to keep this sedan for a while. Dealership support has been outstanding and for that, I am thankful.

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Platinum
104 Posts
Re: First Impressions: 2019 Cadillac CT6

NewYorkBill....

Thanks for the report....that is good news.

Please do keep the forum updated as things progress.

I really like my 2016 CT6 3.0TT a lot except for the transmission performance which seems to be deteriorating (19,000 miles here) although it is not as bad as some report here. I have 5 months left on my lease and would definitely consider replacing with the 2019 model IF the transmission issue is resolved. Originally I had planned to buy my 2016 off the lease but that is not an option now.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk
998 Posts

I picked it up today and feel it necessary to report that the new 10 speed transmission appears to be flawless. I have not felt one shift on its first day on the road in a variety of driving conditions.

The odometer read 1.2 miles on this car that was ordered in early October 2018, so it took a while to get it built and delivered. These things are rare around here and very few dealers have them in stock. I'm not a fan of taking delivery in the middle of a northeast winter, but it was necessary to trade-out as soon as possible.

Transmission performance is vastly superior to my previous CT6’s, each equipped with the 8L45 units.
CUE System has been tweaked and shows much more refinement. The rotary knob has a quality feel with detents when scrolling through lists.
Trim Level upgrades. In order to match the features in the 2017 Luxury level, it was necessary to go up to the Premium Luxury level and Comfort and Technology Package to lock in the rear camera mirror, head-up display and 12” gauge cluster, all which seem very much improved.
Front grill and rear decklid design changes look great. As I have said many times on this forum, the CT6 is an attractive sedan.

All of our needs are different, so that impacts our ordering priorities. These are the reasons that I locked in on the Premium Luxury trim level: Pavement around here in the northeast is not kind to 20” wheels so that was a definite no. Supercruise in this particular region and my driving habits, well, it wouldn’t be used much. Rear seat entertainment for absent back seat passengers would be somewhat wasteful. The 3.0TT isn’t a priority for me, as I have other cars that offer some g’s when throttling up, so the 3.6 is great.

Happy, relieved and content here and hoping to keep this sedan for a while. Dealership support has been outstanding and for that, I am thankful.
I am happy for you and wish you all the best with the 2019 CT6?

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,539 Posts
Sounds good. You are set until they hopefully turn it into a comparable CT# or Escala in a few years.

You would think Mary would have at least waited to see out the 2019 year progressed before killing CT6.

I was hoping the new 10 speed would be good. My neighbor works in a trans factory, saying they are good, but the trans he
works on is for the GM trucks.

·
Registered
2018 CT6
119 Posts
I hope you can put some information up here on the CUE system. Do you use music on a thumb drive that the CUE system sees? In 2018, the manual stated that the files created by the Windows Media Player are supported (.WPL and .WMA). I understand that the 2019 manual only supports MP3 and M3u type files. Is that true? Apparently Cadillac is giving the users of Windows Media Player a finger gesture. If you have a thumb drive could you put some WMA type files on it and see if they play? Further if you really have some time on your hands could you use a 128 GB drive? I have been told over and over that the system will not support any thing greater than 32 GB drives. Of course no where in the manual does it say there is any sort of limit on the thumb drive and of course every thing I read works great on my 128 GB drive except it won't play a song I point to when displaying the song list on the Play List. I know I am asking a great deal of you for your effort. I am just curious as to what you find. Thanks.

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,539 Posts
I hope you can put some information up here on the CUE system. Do you use music on a thumb drive that the CUE system sees? In 2018, the manual stated that the files created by the Windows Media Player are supported (.WPL and .WMA). I understand that the 2019 manual only supports MP3 and M3u type files. Is that true?
When I got my 2018 ATS, it had new CUE and would not play WMA. MP3, WAV, FLAC all worked, so I re-recorded with Flac.
I always format with Fat32 and 8 or 16 mg USB.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk
998 Posts
I have had my 2019 XTS Premium Luxury AWD for 4 months and 2,200 miles. The 6 Speed Transmission in my XTS is everything that the 8L45 8 Speed in my 2017 CT6 was not. The extra bonus is the absence of the ridiculous stop start feature that is in the CT6. Until you go back and drive a car that does not have the stop start feature you do not realize just how ridiculous the stop start feature is and the little amount in gas savings is not worth what you have to contend with.
I am not trying to stir up trouble but I hope everyone will remember for most, the harsh shift of the prior year CT6 did not manifest its self until after about the first 2,500 – 5,000 miles. If you own a 2019 CT6 I would probably hold off on the victory dance until after at least the first 2,500 miles which I am cautiously optimistic that you will be able to do.
I do not know how the operation of the HVAC system in the 2019 CT6 is but in the XTS it appears to be spot on. In this cold weather the interior of my car is comfortable with in a minute or two when the heat comes on. The Radio as well as the CUE in both the 2018-2019 XTS and 2019 CT6 has also been updated.
I am not a fan of the standard 20” and only wheel option for my car but ride and tire noise is not that bad. I will be glad when and if Michelin comes out with he Premier A/S in my size as I will jump on them in a heart beat. To be quite honest I really did not care for the OEM Good Year Touring on the 19” wheels of my CT6 and traded them for the Michelin Premier A/S. I really have no love for the OEM Bridgestone’s on my XTS and I hate that because my wife retired from Bridgestone.
My brother in law just traded for a 2019 XTS and he got the Bronze Dune Metallic with the Kona Brown interior. This is one nice color combination which I started to get but did not do so as I knew he was looking at it. I am very happy with the Phantom Grey with Ebony interior that I have but that Kona Brown interior is very striking. The headliner and wood grain appointments that comes with the $1,250 Kona Brown selection is also very nice. The interior looks like it is straight out of a Mercedes.
I know it has been said but I will say it again, IMO both the CT6 and XTS are two of the most striking cars on the road. It is just to bad that Cadillac did not do better by them. Although they will both be discontinued, I am hearing that Cadillac does have plans for another full size sedan in the works which will be the reincarnation of either the XTS or CT6.

·
Registered
2013 XTS4 Platinum '91 Caprice Wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)
666 Posts
To NYB, thanks for the review. I get a little envious every time I see one. That stance.

·
Registered
2018 CT6
119 Posts
When I got my 2018 ATS, it had new CUE and would not play WMA. MP3, WAV, FLAC all worked, so I re-recorded with Flac.
Well, I am using 128 gig thumb drive I am not sure which I am currently formated as either FAT32 or NTFS. I have tried both and each works the same. Most if not all my music is .wma. The only thing that does not work as far as the thumb drive is when I click/press the displayed song. Every other function works terrific. UNREAL!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are a few pics of the 2019 before and after delivery.
It got a little slopped up with snow and slush on its first time on the road with 1.2 miles on the odometer. Welcome to life in the north east.

As I have said, I have always been a fan of the CT6's design. It was a relief to leave that troubled 2017 behind. Thanks for your support.

IMG_1108.jpeg
IMG_1104.jpeg
IMG_1092.jpeg
IMG_1091.jpeg
IMG_1041.jpeg
IMG_1040.jpeg

·
Registered
998 Posts
Here are a few pics of the 2019 before and after delivery.
It got a little slopped up with snow and slush on its first time on the road with 1.2 miles on the odometer. Welcome to life in the north east.

As I have said, I have always been a fan of the CT6's design. It was a relief to leave that troubled 2017 behind. Thanks for your support.

View attachment 543116

View attachment 543118
View attachment 543120
View attachment 543122
View attachment 543124
View attachment 543128
Thank you for sharing, very nice looking.

·
Registered
2019 CT6
140 Posts
Took delivery on the same model 2019 for my wife a few days ago. It looks like 2019's are in short supply. Our local dealer searched all over and finally located a vehicle with the options we wanted in a dealership 700 miles away.

We are very impressed with the car. Transmission is very smooth, the ride is great, and everything works perfectly.

Edit: My 2019 has a 10 speed transmission. Is this new for 2019?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 2019 has a 10 speed transmission. Is this new for 2019?
Yes, the 10 speed has been a much anticipated change, so it's new on the 2019's. Regarding quality ride and all accessories working, I can report the same. I agree, there are very few around. My dealer ordered 20 of them and received 2 . . . that should change soon.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CT6
17 Posts
NewYorkBill, I am happy to see that you are enjoying your new CT6. We discussed the transmission issues on the 27 CT6 with the 8 speed transmission some time ago. I went a different route than you did and I ended up returning the vehicle (via lemon law) back to GM where they picked up the cost of the suit. I just wanted the vehicle repaired or replaced but GM pretended to be a ostrich and would not admit that anything was wrong with this model. Instead of repairing or replacing this vehicle they bought it back to the tune of $100,000 (approximate but real close). As much as I would have loved to keep that vehicle or get into another one with no trans issues, I now do not want to deal with GM again. I realize that no manufacturer is perfect and that other models have issues also but GM is no longer a company that I will do business with. Hope you have all the luck in the world with your new 19 CT6!!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
NewYorkBill, I am happy to see that you are enjoying your new CT6. We discussed the transmission issues on the 27 CT6 with the 8 speed transmission some time ago. I went a different route than you did and I ended up returning the vehicle (via lemon law) back to GM where they picked up the cost of the suit. I just wanted the vehicle repaired or replaced but GM pretended to be a ostrich and would not admit that anything was wrong with this model. Instead of repairing or replacing this vehicle they bought it back to the tune of $100,000 (approximate but real close). As much as I would have loved to keep that vehicle or get into another one with no trans issues, I now do not want to deal with GM again. I realize that no manufacturer is perfect and that other models have issues also but GM is no longer a company that I will do business with. Hope you have all the luck in the world with your new 19 CT6!!!
I am glad you got your problem resolved. I traded mine for a 2019 XTS Premium Lux AWD and have no regrets at all. IMO the 6 Speed Transmission in the XTS is everything that the 8 Speed in the CT6 was not. The absence of the Auto Stop/Start is another plus. Everything in the car seems to work as it should except the CUE display sometimes defaulting to a different display than that which it was set for. This is not a major deal and just one of those minor glitches that Cadillac/GM will have work out.
I had considered the 2019 CT6 but after looking at the XTS I decided it more than met my needs. The XTS does not have some of the bells and whistles of the CT6 but I am now beginning to wonder if sometimes if less is better than more.
Like you back in 2007, I walked away from Lexus over a real bad experience with a new 2007 LS460 and really poor service from Lexus Customer Service, never to return. My experience with Cadillac in recent years really has not been that bad and for me there is really nothing out there other than a Cadillac that I desire. I am sorry, but from my own personal experience GM/Cadillac is no better nor any worse than any other brand, foreign or domestic. I guess what I am saying is that I am still willing to take my chances with Cadillac than any other brand.

Have you replaced your CT6 and if so what did you get?

·
Registered
2018 CT6
119 Posts
Are you sure of the "mg" connotation? I would hardly get one song on that drive. I doubt they make one that small anymore.

·
Registered
998 Posts

How would you compare the ride and tire noise from the Goodyear Eagle Touring 245-45-19V that are on your new car to the 245-40-20W that were on your first CT6?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts