Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister got me some car care products for Christmas, which included the Maguires Clay Bar kit. I had never used a clay bar before, but I heard that it was good and since I had water stains from hell on my black paint, I figured that it might help.

My first thoughts when I opened the package were, "WTF? This is silly putty!", I soon found out that silly putty does a HELL of a job on black paint. I am stunned at how good a job that stuff does, my paint looks like brand new (Except for the chips that stick out like a sore thumb now). I followed up with the Maguires Gold liquid wax.

Totally unreal how well it looks now. I tried using the old carnuba wax and other crap, but I was always left with the streaks and water spots.

All in all, if you want your car to look great, then get a clay bar kit for it.

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
JC, you'll find, with black, that the more you work at cleaning it up, the more the imperfections show.. :) I should know, I have two sable black caddies...the Clay Bar is your friend, tho' - once or twice a year a good wash job, then a wipedown with Iso Alcohol, then the clay to completely clean the surface of old wax and crap, then another good wash, then a polish, then a sealant, then a wax, then a Q/D spray, then a. . . :)

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V Black
325 Posts
I've used clay for years and I swear by it! Even if you wax your car religiously, never drive in the rain, never let it touch the ground, always keep it in the garage... you will still at the very least build up a few coats of wax which will create a barrier between your beautiful paint and your eyeball. ;)

Clay that crap off now and then and you will be amazed at the results. It is esp. good for taking off that tar and road grime that will build up over time behind the wheels and rocker panels.

BTW, works well on clean painted wheels too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts