Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just updated the firmware on my gmos-06 now I get no sound from the speakers. it is a 2004 Deville with the Delco amp. The new firmware is supposed to work better with the Delco amp, but I've got no sound now. I plugged the stock stereo in to test it and everything worked fine. Anybody have any experience with this ? I tried calling metra tech support and got a message that there was no one currently available.

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base, 2019 Corvette GS
1,195 Posts
I have just updated the firmware on my gmos-06 now I get no sound from the speakers. it is a 2004 Deville with the Delco amp. The new firmware is supposed to work better with the Delco amp, but I've got no sound now. I plugged the stock stereo in to test it and everything worked fine. Anybody have any experience with this ? I tried calling metra tech support and got a message that there was no one currently available.
What were your problems before the update?

·
Registered
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What were your problems before the update?
Nothing really, It works the way it should, I was just curious what kind of a difference it would have made, if any.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Nothing really, It works the way it should, I was just curious what kind of a difference it would have made, if any.
So why would you update it. Never try to fix something that ain't broke. So I guess you see the difference now.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What reason would I have to think that an update from the manufacturer would not work ? I will try to call them again on Monday, maybe there is an easy answer to this.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,377 Posts
What reason would I have to think that an update from the manufacturer would not work ? I will try to call them again on Monday, maybe there is an easy answer to this.
====================
just click the UN-DO button

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
====================
just click the UN-DO button
I wish it were that easy, the updater program will not put the old firmware back on.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Do you know how many aftermarket radios even oem radios have bricked after installing updates? I could name countless times on the Corvette forum alone for oem radios, never the less the Kenwood forum. It does happen.

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
5,020 Posts

Switch to the Axxess LC-GMRC-03, problem solved.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Switch to the Axxess LC-GMRC-03, problem solved.
I would have to bypass the amp, really don't want to do that, plus I don't like the way it handles the chimes.
Always read the changelog prior to updating firmware on ANYTHING...
I did, it just said better handling of delco amps
Do you know how many aftermarket radios even oem radios have bricked after installing updates? I could name countless times on the Corvette forum alone for oem radios, never the less the Kenwood forum. It does happen.
I understand what you are saying, but I've updated other things, even my current stereo, without issue. This is actually the first time something hasn't worked for me. I sent an email to Axxess tech support, we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
5,020 Posts
Take the module out, plug it into a PC with a microUSB cable, if the Axxess software detects it, then it's not bricked. I literally have the same Interface in my 97 Eldorado ETC, and i updated the firmware on it. i'm still running the factory BOSE amps and Rear Integration Module (RIM)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The software does detect it, it asks if it is a gmos-06/gmos-10 or a chto-02. I choose gmos-06 and it says "Interface not updated because it is already at the latest version 1.1". When I did it yesterday it updated from ver 1.0 to 1.1. I realize now bricked may have been the wrong word.

Metra did respond to my email, he asked if I had used the latest update and what the serial number is on the module.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heard back from Metra today, he said my module is too old and that update was only good for the newer modules due to a hardware change. It would have been nice if they had put that bit of information on the website. I used some of my stimulus money and bought a new one, I should get it in about a week.

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
5,020 Posts
I heard back from Metra today, he said my module is too old and that update was only good for the newer modules due to a hardware change. It would have been nice if they had put that bit of information on the website. I used some of my stimulus money and bought a new one, I should get it in about a week.

Do you have OnStar? i wish you'd provide a bit more detail on your vehicle before pulling the triger so that i could help a bit.

For an 04, i probabaly would've went with:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It does have onstar but it is not active. It was obsolete by the time I bought the car and I never bothered to upgrade it.
I tried the pac os2, did not like it at all, mostly because you lose the front to rear fade, I like to set the fade one or two steps to the rear. I sold it to a member here.
The new model from Axxess that replaces the Gmos-06 is compatible with both the Bose and Delco amps. It only took them 20 years to do it. lol

Well now you know. Mission accomplished?
Live and learn, what are ya gonna do. I did yell at the Metra guy today, I'm curious to see if they'll put a warning next to that download so the next poor schlub don't make the same mistake I did.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I tried the pac os2, did not like it at all, mostly because you lose the front to rear fade
That is not the reason for the lose of the front to rear fade. The front to rear fade is controlled in the can bus system thru the factory radio. One you remove the factory radio and install a aftermarket with a new interface the factory amp does not know where to send the signals because it no longer has communication with the factory radio. It is not totally the fault of the OS-2 but a combination, your basically in a catch -22.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is not the reason for the lose of the front to rear fade. The front to rear fade is controlled in the can bus system thru the factory radio. One you remove the factory radio and install a aftermarket with a new interface the factory amp does not know where to send the signals because it no longer has communication with the factory radio. It is not totally the fault of the OS-2 but a combination, your basically in a catch -22.
Thats only true for the pac product, the gmos-06 retains the front and rear fade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts