Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Montana Blue Eldorado,1982 Eldorado Biarritz Diesel
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a N*. I like it, but like some it has the :confused: oil leak, and sometimes I've seen some carbon? smoke upon acceleration @ night (lights behind me). Recently I've also noticed on long downhills or stretches of deceleration smoke rolling up and around the trunk for a second, till I depress the accelerator again then nothing. The thing is the car runs like a champ (will haze the tires if I hit it from a stop or roll traction control on). Aside from carrying a 5qt container of max life 10/30 what can I do? I've never added any coolant either, I check it and it's always right below the purge hole on the coolant tank.

I suspect the valve seals. I know the plastic intake manifold has carbon in it, I cleaned the TB, may need more. My mileage sucks too only averages in the high teens with carbon soot on the tailpipes. I like the fat car ride, and look. A to do checklist would be helpful from someone who may be privy to these gremlins:shhh:. It's a 96' with 110k. I've looked all around for leaks and only found the oil pan (front) to have some oil on it. I want to keep her because of the color and ride. I don't believe an engine swap is needed possibly I can get it back to some sort of middle ground. everything else is acceptable especially for a 13 year old ride.:yawn:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,119 Posts
For your smoking (carbon) problem, what she needs is a good whoop'in. Take it out and beat the hell out of it. Drive it like you stole it. Go to the top left of this page and click on Technical Archives. Read up on Full Throttle Acceleration aka WOT.

For the mileage problem, check the FPR. Simple to to and a tutorial is in the Tech Tips forum.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For your smoking (carbon) problem, what she needs is a good whoop'in. Take it out and beat the hell out of it. Drive it like you stole it. Go to the top left of this page and click on Technical Archives. Read up on Full Throttle Acceleration aka WOT.

For the mileage problem, check the FPR. Simple to to and a tutorial is in the Tech Tips forum.
I punch her out a lot :thumbsup:, and have wrung her up to her Y:yawn: 112 :rolleyes: :alchi:top speed quite a few times. The intake was very loaded with carbon when I viewed it. If I closed my eyes and forgot about the oil leak and minor smoke it would no seem to be a giant issue. I will look in to the fpr. I also heard what may be a vaccum leak (whistle)?? once in a while.
From 0-112 she is a nice cruiser. She shifts very smooth and firm also.

I only run plus grade gas in her even though it calls for premium. CARBON SUCKS BIG TIME :rant2::mad:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,119 Posts
Speed is not what you need to clean it out. It's RPM's. Read the procedure.

The grade of gas has nothing to do with carbon.

Use a stethoscope to locate the vacuum leak.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a few 2nd gear WOTs last night. I noticed the drive belt does a chirp at the 6200 rpm shift. It's a new Gates belt, but seems fine. Is there a way to get rid of the speed limiter and bolster the performance of a Y engine? I've had her for about 6 months. I was thinking of selling her and getting an 02 model. My 96 is tight though and its color is hot..:sneaky:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,520 Posts
Contact AJxtcman in here or Wester's Garage to remove the speed limiter. They may be able to do a '96, but '98 - on is more common. About a $300 service, YOUR PCM only, a week turnaround.

The tire rating sticker on the driver's door will tell you what your limiter setting is: S is 112, H is 130, and W/Z is essentially unlimited (155 +/-)

Snoop around in the Northstar Performance threads to find out how to pick up a few hp (not much, at all....) from some minor air box (NOT some overpriced aftermarket so-called CAI) and exhaust grooming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts