Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to cars in general and was having trouble starting my 88 deville, it wont turn over im thinking it might be the sparkplugs any other ideas? if it is the sparkplugs where are they located. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
88lac said:
im new to cars in general and was having trouble starting my 88 deville, it wont turn over im thinking it might be the sparkplugs any other ideas? if it is the sparkplugs where are they located. thanks in advance.

hehe , i like this dude

dude the front set are pretty easy to find , but them god damn rears you will need a doctorate in gyenocology to find them , a speculum would be helpful too

when you go to start on the key does the engine even turn ? if it doesnt id look into a battery chargeing first , if it runs after a battery chargeing or jump then id see why the battery was dead

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i charged the battery and now it wants to turn over but right now its just doin the reeeeeerrrrr rrrrrrrreeeeeeeeerrrrrr reeeeer thing, i can tell it wants to turn over what else should i look into? btw it started about three weeks ago.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
not sure where to go from there without seeing it , id start cheap and replace the fuel filter after its set for about a day without the key being moved or touched , maybe before that go thru and check all the fuses might just be a old fuel pump fuse that blew out

might have someone spray some cold start starting fluid in the airbox while you try to start it , if it tries to run then it might be worth looking into the fuel system , if it doesnt chage anything id venture towards the spark side of things

some of the trucks i used to work on had a weak starter which didnt turn the engine over fast enough for it to fire off , but these were diesls

like i say hard to tell without looking at her , so it quit running after it set for a night? was it after you put gas in it ? sometimes people get water or other stuff after filling a car up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i started it a couple weeks back then i barely attempted to start it again on saturday morning. but it wouldnt start, i think ill try that quick start spray first. no it wasnt after i put gas in it either. where exactly are the front plugs again?

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
well there gonna be right under the valve cover near the area where the exaust manifolds are... youll see 4 thick wires, each of the 4 wires goes to a area between each tube for the manifold , you may have to pull the cover for the plug wires to acctluy see the wires , it attches to the valve cover but i cant remeber how it comes off on yours

·
Registered
Cadillac
13 Posts
front bank is fairly obvious but rear bank is challenging. you will need engine to be cool . 3/8 drive socket with 5/8" spark plug wrench. 3/8" drive universal and ratchet with two(2) 6" extensions. you will be doing this by feel.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I can almost guarantee that problem is not spark plugs. For engine to refuse to start, ALL 8 PLUGS would have to fail completely.

Coil is most likely culprit.

Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
2 choices with the back 4 plugs - see them or reach them. You can see them from underneath but never reach them. You can reach them reaching over the back of the engine but you have to change them blind. Took me about an hour to do the back four, 20 minutes to do the front 4. Agree with zBird that plugs are probably not your problem. Pull the codes by pressing 'off' and 'warmer' on the climate control and watch the gas gauge.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
I would look into a starter if it makes a noise like that, My starter got weak and took several tries to turn it over, made noise all the time, got the starter replaced and it worked fine, then one day wouldn't start or make noise so the starter was replaced again and its been good ever since.

I would also try shutting off all electrical things like radio, ac before starting if you havent yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts