Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

The car is a 72 Coupdeville with 47,000 miles and it keeps blowing the 10 amp fuse that goes into the gauge&trans slot on the fuse box.Everything is completely stock except where someone has wired in a trailer connector.I'm wondering if this wiring is on that circuit and it's what's causing problems??

It will run fine for 2-3 days before the fuse pops and then the gen light appears on the dash-board,everything seems to be working without that fuse in place.

Suggestion please

Thanks-Hoonbash

·
Registered
'93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!
503 Posts
Only 47,000 miles on a '72, and you're in Canada? Where did the old owner drive? Only on a frozen lake?

( Almost forgot the question)

I would check that trailer harness especially near any edges. Remove it if you don't use it yourself.

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mountie Glad somebody answered:stirpot:See the rig here

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/113933-im-2nd-owner-72-coup-de.html

It was grandma's car passed down,he wanted it,she didn't,the boss always wins.

Removed the trailer light splice in from the drivers trunk area,popped the fuse within the hour,have noticed the wires in the engine compartment are laying in the valve covers on both sides,will inspect and wrap.Then am stumped??

Hoonbash
Sometimes there's a fuse from the battery source to ( hot lead) to protect the car's elec. system from the trailer harness?

Be patient, and feel for evidence of a damaged wire, where you suspect a wire could be damaged ( next to a hot area or a sharp edge)

Also, check for a suspect wire at the rear, if there is a harness for trailer light hook-ups.

Great car...... ( Just a thought ) sometimes, a movie prop company are always looking for a cherry car filming a movie that takes place around the '70's era.

That is, if you are thinking of selling it, and can't get a good price.

There are car collector businesses that can tell you the value of a car like that ( sometimes they know someone looking for a car as that?)

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the problem.

As mentioned the wires running along the drivers side valve cover were loose and not covered in the factory wrapping.The oil breather that connects into the air cleaner had pinched down and chaffed 3 wires ever so slightly and one of these was shorting out against the valve cover.All the wires are protected now and the car runs great.

I would have missed it had I not felt along the wires,good call :thumbsup:& Thanks for the assist!!

Hoonbash

·
Registered
503 Posts
Found the problem.

As mentioned the wires running along the drivers side valve cover were loose and not covered in the factory wrapping.The oil breather that connects into the air cleaner had pinched down and chaffed 3 wires ever so slightly and one of these was shorting out against the valve cover.All the wires are protected now and the car runs great.

I would have missed it had I not felt along the wires,good call :thumbsup:& Thanks for the assist!!

Hoonbash
I'm glad you found the problem...... Those cars are less complicated, and finding those problems are easier than these new 'over-engineered' cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts