Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'72 Eldorado Convertible, '97 Eldorado ETC, '93 Fleetwood
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is getting harder by the year, it seems.

Last time, I finally found a couple of blanks in the value I needed on the internet, got one cut at lowes before his boss told him not to do any more, and ended up at a locksmith--who actually happened to have those in stock! (and for the same $17 or so I paid)

Now the place is gone, the place that apparently bought the name (but forgot to forward the number!) won't talk about keys until you come in, and I've found one place that wants $29, and another $50!

Does anyone have any ideas or sources for getting these at a sane price?

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,659 Posts
eBay has them for about $12. Or twice that if you must have a gold one.

What resistor do you need?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one measures 1181 (naturally, the low priority car that I have a spare for and is about to be partially disassembled), and the other its waiting until I lay my hands on a 9v battery, that, beyond all belief, I have somehow ran out of . . . (or, for my neighbor to be around).

I think that Ace was my first (maybe second) stop last time around, and no dice.

The problem with eBay/amazon/etc is that most other places won't cut a key that you bring in, citing "risk" :(

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,902 Posts
This is getting harder by the year, it seems.

Last time, I finally found a couple of blanks in the value I needed on the internet, got one cut at lowes before his boss told him not to do any more, and ended up at a locksmith--who actually happened to have those in stock! (and for the same $17 or so I paid)

Now the place is gone, the place that apparently bought the name (but forgot to forward the number!) won't talk about keys until you come in, and I've found one place that wants $29, and another $50!

============================
YES -
ebay has EVERY blank/uncut VATS (single-sided) key possible for $9.49 - with free shipping -

I took two blank PK3 (double-sided) keys to my local ACE Hardware store -
they charged me $2.50 to cut the two keys -
YES - I told them I accepted full responsibility if they didn't work -

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up paying a locksmith $5 a key.

The truvalue dealer (actually a plumbing place) found that the resistor meant they couldn't mount it in their machine . . .

and then I broke the wires on that cylinder, bought a new one, and paid $5 a key again . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts