Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3.6 rwd premium2009 cts
670 Posts
why i cant upload pics?
i use dodo juice wax its unreal,u should polish the car before or a least clay it,it will give the best results.
beautiful car btw.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
You haven't waxed your car in 2-1/2 years? Or am I reading something wrong here?

·
Registered
2016 CTS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD (sold)
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why i cant upload pics?
i use dodo juice wax its unreal,u should polish the car before or a least clay it,it will give the best results.
beautiful car btw.
You need to resize it to 1025 x 768 pixels or less. Also there is a limit to how much you can upload. If you try to upload and it says you've exceeded your limit, then you have to go into your settings and delete old attachments to clear up space.

Back to the topic....I've always hand washed my car and there are no visible swirls. Do I still need to polish it?

----------

You haven't waxed your car in 2-1/2 years? Or am I reading something wrong here?
That is correct. If you have a problem with that you are welcome to come wax my car for me :)

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
Wax (not polish) need to be applied as it helps keep the paint free from dirt and grime, and other nasties like bird poop. Allows better clean up.

----------

Griots has a spray on wax you can use when you wash your car. At the least it would help and is the lazy man's wax!

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/spray-on+wax+8+ounces.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=

----------

By the way, Griots is having a sale through today or tomorrow (not sure). Enter the code: EMCAMB for 15% off.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wax (not polish) need to be applied as it helps keep the paint free from dirt and grime, and other nasties like bird poop. Allows better clean up.

----------

Griots has a spray on wax you can use when you wash your car. At the least it would help and is the lazy man's wax!

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/spray-on+wax+8+ounces.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=

----------

By the way, Griots is having a sale through today or tomorrow (not sure). Enter the code: EMCAMB for 15% off.
The car wash soap that I use contains carnauba wax. Is that just a gimmick?

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
...a least clay it, it will give the best results...
Yeah, I can't imagine waxing a car after 2½ years of neglect without
first giving it a clay bar treatment - fast, cheap, enduring perfection:

·
Registered
14,143 Posts
Carnauba wax is supposedly a "harder" wax than most. That leads me to wonder how it is "liquified". I am not an expert on car waxes at all, but the carnauba in your wash certainly won't hurt anything. Use a name brand product and that is a good start.

Is your car a garage queen or a daily driver? Makes a difference as to the exposure to the elements and the protection you may need and how often you should "wax" your car.

C

·
0 Posts
It is used in alot of hypoallergenic cosmetics and ect in liquid or resin form such as eyeliner and ect. Tinman.

·
Registered
14,143 Posts
Now, why would I not have known that, CTSCHICK?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I can't imagine waxing a car after 2½ years of neglect without
first giving it a clay bar treatment - fast, cheap, enduring perfection:
Yes I plan on claying it, but was wondering if I need to polish it.

----------

Carnauba wax is supposedly a "harder" wax than most. That leads me to wonder how it is "liquified". I am not an expert on car waxes at all, but the carnauba in your wash certainly won't hurt anything. Use a name brand product and that is a good start.

Is your car a garage queen or a daily driver? Makes a difference as to the exposure to the elements and the protection you may need and how often you should "wax" your car.
She is both a daily driver and a garage queen as I telecommute mostly now.

·
Registered
14,143 Posts
There is a difference between wax and polish. Wax, yes. Polish, no. Polish is for removing fine scratches, which many waxes will do. Just stick to a good name brand wax and you will be fine.

C

·
0 Posts
The car wash soap that I use contains carnauba wax. Is that just a gimmick?
I used to use the Mothers California gold with carnauba wax all the time, My b.f. still use's it on his cars.
I stopped because I started using detail spray while drying the car down with a great white towel to reduce friction and act as a drying agent while also leaving me the same shine

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
is250sp said:
You need to resize it to 1025 x 768 pixels or less. Also there is a limit to how much you can upload. If you try to upload and it says you've exceeded your limit, then you have to go into your settings and delete old attachments to clear up space.
Or make life easier and just upload to www.photobucket.com , and post the IMG codes here. No size limit.

As for waxes removing fine scratches/swirls, that's ONLY if they're "cleaner waxes". Basically a combination product. But you don't get the full benefits of both products.

Basic detailing process for a daily driver/car stored outdoors, done without power buffing:

-Wash (obviously)

-Clay. This will pull embedded/stuck on debris out of the paint, so it's not stuck in the polishing cloth/pad and scratching the paint while you polish.

-Polish. This actually removes, not fills, fine scratches and heavy swirls, by removing a very small amount of clear coat.

-Swirl remover. For darker colors or for the perfectionist. Just an extremely fine polish.

-Wax. There are endless debates on what type is better, what type to use for metallic/non metallic, even color specific waxes..... The point is to have a shiny car and to protect the finish. Shine comes from a smoothe surface, and polishing gets you 99% there. A good wax, ANY good wax, get you that last little bit of shine, and protect the paint. So don't stress over it.

Personally, I've been using Mothers Gold Class pure carnauba liquid wax. For polish/swirl remover/cutting creams I use Presta products, but those are machine applied.

·
Registered
14,143 Posts
In other words, just do it and you will see a tremendous improvement, and your car will be even happier.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts