Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're coming up on replacing our Volvo S90, which I realize is not in any way a direct competitor to the CT5, especially the V model, but I try to turn over every stone, ha! Let me just say that...wow...I was very impressed. It is IMMEDIATELY noticeable that this is a driver's car...just rolling through the parking lot, it felt direct and purposeful.

I loved everything about how it drove: the steering weight/feel, the handling (though I didn't get to push the car much), the power, and yes even the sound. I also like the way the car looks overall...the CTS was arguably more elegant, but the CT5 to me looks more aggressive, which I like. And shockingly, the ride was MUCH better in the CT5 than the S90, which even with a long wheelbase, is a bit harsh (a noticed criticism of the S90). The packaging is also MUCH improved over the CTS, with more-than-ample legroom for its class. However...

The things I disliked: the headroom, or lack thereof with that sloping roofline, is just about a deal-breaker for our tall family. I'm not so sure that a more traditional sedan profile wouldn't have provided a more commensurate headroom amount with its associated legroom...sigh. Also, and I've noticed this watching and listening to YouTube videos of the car's acceleration, is that there is this weird "lag" or plateau in power (and audible engine rev) about 3/4 the way up the rev-range. I wouldn't say it's a deal-breaker, but it's odd, if not disconcerting. Has anyone else (those who own CT5-Vs) noticed this?

So, having test driven another S90 earlier in the day (and of course owning one), the car was a freaking revolution...absolutely loved it. Now, if only it could adequately accommodate/fit our large family! If I were to go this route, I'd definitely order a 2021 model, if not for the full TFT digital gauge cluster, for the option to get SuperCruise.

p.s. And tomorrow I'm test driving a Tesla Model Y, which is supposed to be stretched 4.5" in the rear over the Model 3...my decision is becoming quite complicated!

·
Registered
1957 Cadillac Eldorado Seville 2020 Cadillac CT-5V Others
16 Posts
Having driven the V hundreds of miles so far there is no sort of lag or plateau in power anywhere in the rev band on this car. The power is seamless from idle up to the 5000-5500 rpm that I have taken the car so far. Did the car have a sunroof? I skipped the sunroof and my 6'2" friend had no problem in the rear seat. And the magnetic ride suspension soaks up rough roads like no car I have ever driven before.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having driven the V hundreds of miles so far there is no sort of lag or plateau in power anywhere is the rev band on this car. The power is seamless from idle up to the 5000-5500 rpm that I have taken the car so far. Did the car have a sunroof? I skipped the sunroof and my 6'2" friend had no problem in the rear seat. And the magnetic ride suspension soaks up rough roads like no car I have ever driven before.
Yes, though it was lightly optioned, it did have the sunroof, but it also had a pretty size able cavity just behind the sunroof for headroom. I’m not sure omitting it would create that much more space since it sits fully in front of the area where you sit upright. Maybe you’re right though.

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,101 Posts
Sounds like a very good review. You and your family are kind of an anomaly though. Most families aren’t 6 foot 6 and taller. Although, my good friend is 6 foot 7 and he has two teenage boys and they’ll probably end up being taller than he is.

I saw an evergreen metallic CT5V AWD in the wild the other day. It looked very sharp. It’s much more aggressive looking than the Vsport for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I test drove the V in May and didn’t notice any hesitation and I nailed it until redline multiple times.

Did you drive RWD or AWD?

My RWD V is off the rail car and in PA, 90 miles from dealer. Should have next week! Hoping not to have this issue you described!

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD
339 Posts
Also, and I've noticed this watching and listening to YouTube videos of the car's acceleration, is that there is this weird "lag" or plateau in power (and audible engine rev) about 3/4 the way up the rev-range. I wouldn't say it's a deal-breaker, but it's odd, if not disconcerting. Has anyone else (those who own CT5-Vs) noticed this?
Go watch them again, but pay attention to the speedo when it does that - if speeds keeps going up, could just be locking up the torque converter or changing the slip profile. I remember watching 3.7L/6A Mustang videos years ago and they did the same thing, which makes me think it's a Ford transmission thing (the 10-speed is a Ford design).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts