Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was a nice mid 60s day today so I decided to spend it outside installing the sway bars that Hotchkis set me. The first thing I noticed when I opened the packaging is that everything was packed amazing well. The courier would have had to try to break this in order for anything to get damaged.

The Stage 1 TVS kit comes with sways, lowering springs, new bushings and brackets, grease, and bump stops. Pretty much everything you need is included in the kit except for tools. The instructions supplied are also very detailed. I printed out a copy of the instructions for replacing the sways from the service manual but I didn't even end up using them.

When I took the sway bars out, I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were very stealth looking. No bright colors or wild graphics. Both bars were powder coated black. The only thing on them that gave them away were the Hotchkis logo on the front sway and the gold bushing brackets.

Installation was moderate. The front sway bar was a breeze and only took about an hour. The rear sway bar is a little tougher because the exhaust and wheel gets in the way. That took about 3 hours which included chasing after parts that the neighbor's dog tried to eat and bench pressing the exhaust while trying to get the bolts back onto the car.

There is only one phrase to describe the post installion drive: God damn amazing!! Every turn feels more confident and the car stays flat. Weight transfer from side to side is all but gone. Turning the wheel sharply results in an immediate change in direction since the torque is no longer used to lean the car. I also found that the car now has mild oversteer which I like better than the understeer from the stock sways. Whenever the rear starts to slide, you can feel it instantly. A slight correction in the steering and the car is right back on track. I had a big ass grin on my face after I took a test drive on my favorite winding road.

The ride is only slightly firmer and is well worth the increase in road handling. All in all, the sway bars are an excellent upgrade.

Pictures show the packaging, the sways before installation, and a shot of the rear sway bar installed. I couldn't get the front installation shot because the wheels were always blocking the view.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I too installed the Hotchkis swaybars and am very pleased with the kit. I am not trying to pirate your thread but you did what I planned on doing with the pictures and my comments are the same. Packaged very well, nice finish, I love the hardware, easy and well thought out directions. I also am very happy with the handling difference, VERY flat cornering and barely a noticeable stiffer ride. I too have eibach springs already installed. I will be installing the Hotchkis springs next....can't wait!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sounds excellent. So I realize that you three got in on the free offer deal, but does anybody know how I might be able to get a hold of a set of those? I might have missed out on a past thread so I apologize if that is the case. Just wondering what the price is compared to the Eibach sways.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Krank said:
Sounds excellent. So I realize that you three got in on the free offer deal, but does anybody know how I might be able to get a hold of a set of those? I might have missed out on a past thread so I apologize if that is the case. Just wondering what the price is compared to the Eibach sways.
You can order them direct from Hotchkis. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Do you have the nivomats. I presently do and would greatly like to get my ride an inch or so lower. Just currious exactly what it would all take to get me there. That phase 1 sounds like it would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
d-dash said:
Do you have the nivomats. I presently do and would greatly like to get my ride an inch or so lower. Just currious exactly what it would all take to get me there. That phase 1 sounds like it would be awesome.
Yes, I do have the Nivomats but they are the FE4 (CTS-V) shocks. With the CTS-V you can just take the rubber pillow from below the top mount and put it on top of the mount to lower it an about 1.1 inches. With the standard Nivomats, this isn't possible. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of anyone working with the standard CTS Nivomats yet.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RobertCTS said:
Excellent post mbai2!!
I take it you have to drop the exhaust in order to pass the bar over them?
I'd like to do this with the group buy price we got from Daryl on www.shox.com on the Eibach sway bars. So it took you 4 hours total?
The bar did have to be passed over the exhaust so I needed to drop it. When the exhaust drops, it really drops. Make sure you let it down gently so you don't put too much stress on the flanges or cats.

Slightly under 4 hours total...that included a little :banghead: time since this was my first sway bar install. hehe

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BishopRuger said:
Mbai did u take it to a garage with a lift or did u just jack it up to do the work??
I used jack stands for the front and ramps for the rear. I did the all four springs with jack stands.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Someone said in another thread that the eibachs had a progressive spring rate on the rear while the hotchkis website says their springs have a linear spring rate, what effect does this have on handling? I know someone mentioned the eibachs werent as good if you wanted to autocross, does anyone "in the know" have an opinion about this?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Dropping the exhaust is not necessary you can easily slide them off the rear took me about 30 minutes to do and the front about 45. I used the Eibach bars though and also I removed the wheels.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SdMarineGuy said:
Dropping the exhaust is not necessary you can easily slide them off the rear took me about 30 minutes to do and the front about 45. I used the Eibach bars though and also I removed the wheels.
If you remove the rear wheels you can slide the rear sway bar out the side of the car. However, rear sway bars are recommended to be installed at ride height so I put the car on ramps. This necessitated dropping the exhaust to slide the sway bar out through the rear of the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
Someone said in another thread that the eibachs had a progressive spring rate on the rear while the hotchkis website says their springs have a linear spring rate, what effect does this have on handling? I know someone mentioned the eibachs werent as good if you wanted to autocross, does anyone "in the know" have an opinion about this?
what he said

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts