Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS N*, 1SF, 144K mi.
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm playing around, but I cannot figure out how to change settings. I can make things turn on/off, like engine fans/headlamp washer, and that kind of stuff, but I can't find where to actually change things...

I'm looking, at least initially, for DRL settings. Of course, once I find out what can be changed and how, I'll tweak a bunch of things, I expect.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I'm not!

I'm a computer guy for the last 20 years, so I know to be VERY careful.

I think I have to put tis2000 on a computer, first, and make changes there.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
No, that's not how it works. Generally speaking, the setting you are looking for are managed through the Instrument Panel Module. Be aware that some changes you make may result in unusual or unexpected behaviour.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was digging around in the IP module, and there wasn't as much as I expected. Plus, many times, I'd attempt to look at something, it'd try, and claim it couldn't connect. I hope that's not a problem with the device, but we'll see.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The 'Unable to communicate...' message is not promising. I recall another member posting similar comments about the clone Tech2. If you actually have a problem with your car then I can understand this possibly occurring but otherwise, I'm betting it's the quality of the scan tool.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 RWD
117 Posts
While you're poking around in the IPM (and likely the RIM), can you tell me if there's a setting for ACC and HUD? It'd be awesome if those were there on cars not equipped with it :)

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
CadiTamer said:
While you're poking around in the IPM (and likely the RIM), can you tell me if there's a setting for ACC and HUD? It'd be awesome if those were there on cars not equipped with it :)
There is.

There's a whole thread dedicated to my HUD retrofit and Darcy was kind enough to visit while in town and turn the option on in my IPM. Without it turned on the HUD worked flawlessly the only issue was I could not reset the trip meter.

Even with them turned on you do know you need to have the equipment installed and wired correctly.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 RWD
117 Posts
That's awesome! Is ACC in there, as well? From the documentation I've found so far, the ACC module doesn't ask any module to do anything it isn't already programmed to do, so I'm feeling very optimistic about adding that when I (finally) get the HUD option added.

·
Registered
2008 1SF N* BLACK / 2010 1SC VANILLA LATTE
28 Posts
I'll be right over. Kidding but I am close. I would love to see the things that can be done. I also am an enginner the two of us should be able to make a real mess of things.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
CadiTamer said:
That's awesome! Is ACC in there, as well? From the documentation I've found so far, the ACC module doesn't ask any module to do anything it isn't already programmed to do, so I'm feeling very optimistic about adding that when I (finally) get the HUD option added.
ACC requires different programming in the ebtcm and honestly my fathers 07 has it. I hate the damn thing. Beeping false warnings not worth it. I didn't get HUD as it comes with ACC only with V8s.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 'Unable to communicate...' message is not promising. I recall another member posting similar comments about the clone Tech2. If you actually have a problem with your car then I can understand this possibly occurring but otherwise, I'm betting it's the quality of the scan tool.
That's certainly possible, but I find it odd I can see other things just fine, like the voltage of the MRC system. Each strut has a voltage reading, and if you wiggle around in the seat, they change very, very rapidly.

I'm going to play more with them, today.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
If the problem was actually with the car I would expect to see it riddled with "Lost Communication With..." type DTC's and potentially other problems. If you consider that every resistor and capacitor used in the scan tool will have a tolerance, the variation can definitely affect reliability. To use a resistor for example, typical tolerances are anywhere from 1% to 20% of the rated value. Of course 1% tolerance components are more expensive than 5, 10 or 20% tolerance components. I strongly suspect, given the cost of these clones, that high grade parts are probably not used. This can mean that some scan tools may work fine, others not so much even based strictly on the luck of how close to value some of the components are. I have a genuine Vetronix manufactured scan tool and have never had any of the issues described by some of the owners of the clone equipment. I've used it on numerous vehicles (my own, friends and vehicles at work) over the years and it's always been flawless. Especially with the high speed data bus, this really is a fairly high precision tool.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
My unit is perfect now it was the card I also don't leave it in the trunk anymore
Which unit did you buy and how much was the replacement card you had to get? I am really debating guying one as I also have a 03 suburban I can use it on, just worried about getting a bad one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got my unit from an old Saab mechanic,
Had to drive to Vermont by Canada border to get it got a good price though.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After extensive playing with the car and both Tech II's, and even more surfing the Internet while digging around TIS2000, I'm pretty certain there isn't much value to the Tech II for these cars, as there don't appear to be any settings which you are allowed to change with one.

There are some things in TIS2000 which can be changed, and I did one, just to see what it would do (noise from front suspension over speed bumps...it's an MRC tweak), but otherwise, we're quite limited.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You need to be careful about what calibrations you download. For example, I saw a bulletin about an updated calibration for the STS fuel gauge accuracy. You would not necessarily know by browsing options in TIS2000 but it specified that it applies ONLY to Japanese market cars. The service manual is riddled with comments about not reflashing modules unless specifically directed to do so. You may end up creating a whole new problem you did not bargain on.

I also know someone that changed a setting in a module only to discover that once set, it could not be changed back without replacing the module. Kind of an expensive lesson.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I picked the noise in the front end over speed bumps because I really do have that condition.

I'm being very, very careful, ESPECIALLY now that I see how limited this tool is.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
I also know someone that changed a setting in a module only to discover that once set, it could not be changed back without replacing the module. Kind of an expensive lesson.
You wouldn't be referring to me and the Monte Carlo would you?

I picked the noise in the front end over speed bumps because I really do have that condition. I'm being very, very careful, ESPECIALLY now that I see how limited this tool is.
Basically aside from reflashing modules there isn't too much the tool can be used for outside of diagnostics, after all it is a diagnostic tool first and programming tool second.
There are options in the IPM you can set and that is about it for the STS for 'customizations'. Contrary to popular belief there aren't always a bunch of options that are disabled that you can toggle on and magically add new features.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts